1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Everything you need to know about DMOZ/ODP is contained in this message

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by joeventura, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Bee73

Bee73 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Lots of misunderstanding !! lol

Have a good one !

Bee73, Apr 16, 2012 IP
  2. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry then, my bad!

joeventura, Apr 16, 2012 IP
  3. joeventura

Best Answers:
    Thanks, unfortunately no one reads and they keep thinking that a listing on DMOZ/ODP has value.

The rate of spam in ODP is why Google dropped them and why no one cares anymore.

This website would do everyone a great service to drop this forum all together

joeventura, Jul 5, 2012 IP
  4. photofox

photofox Active Member

Best Answers:
    I did not realize you worked for Google.

photofox, Jul 5, 2012 IP
  5. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I didn't know you did...

Though it does not really matter, the important thing here is google + no one else = who cares about the ODP

Qryztufre, Jul 5, 2012 IP
  6. joeventura

Best Answers:
    joeventura, Jul 5, 2012 IP
  7. photofox

photofox Active Member

Best Answers:
    Where in that article does it say that "The rate of spam in ODP is why Google dropped them..."?

photofox, Jul 5, 2012 IP
  8. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Its my belief that Google ceased using the ODP Database because doing so would mean that Google would be using duplicate content. Ive never seen or read a statement from Google sating that they had a gripe with ODP or its content.

snooks, Jul 5, 2012 IP
  9. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    That would be the gripe with it's content... and the duplicate content pretty much equates to spam that is clogging the search engine algorithms... but again, just a gess (just as valid as yours). Again though, it IS clear that Google no longer holds the ODP in a high regard, and other then they using the descriptions now and again (on thousands of millions of sites) they no longer really care.

Qryztufre, Jul 6, 2012 IP
  10. ThatWasEasyButton

ThatWasEasyButton Peon

Best Answers:
    DMOZ database is used for other directories, so I'd say you still get some linkbacks (and much more than 1) from having it listed there.

ThatWasEasyButton, Jul 6, 2012 IP
  11. joeventura

Best Answers:
    It doesn't matter why they dropped them, they are gone, as in dead, meaningless, not relevant.

joeventura, Jul 7, 2012 IP
  12. joeventura

Best Answers:
    So your point is that the ODP directory which is almost impossible to get in (unless you know the secret) is worth all the effort because some other dead, meaningless, not relevant directories copy them?

joeventura, Jul 7, 2012 IP
  13. ThatWasEasyButton

ThatWasEasyButton Peon

Best Answers:
    My statement is based on this:

dmoz.org -> about:
    "The Open Directory powers the core directory services for the Web's largest and most popular search engines and portals, including Netscape Search, AOL Search, Google, Lycos, HotBot, DirectHit, and hundreds of others."

ThatWasEasyButton, Jul 8, 2012 IP
  14. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @Thatwaseasybutton

You are arguing with people that hate DMOZ and as such, always look on the bad side and would never see anything good. You have no chance of achieving anything other than being insulted and yelled at. You should simply do what you feel is best and suggesting a site to DMOZ takes only 5 minutes, so it certainly cant hurt:)

snooks, Jul 8, 2012 IP
  15. joeventura

Best Answers:

So Netscape's engine is now AOLs and AOLs is now Google, and Direct hit is gone so what does that tell you about the timeliness of what you just quoted? I'll give you a hint "1995"

If you read around DMOZ they will tell you they have tens of thousands of editors, that is also untrue. Everything on that site is outdated.

Did you notice it says Copyright 2012 Netscape? Guess what AOL owns it, not Netscape.

Please stop reading otherwise next you will come back here and say the world is flat.

joeventura, Jul 8, 2012 IP
  16. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    If you go to those search engines you will find that most of them not only no longer use the ODP data, most don't even mention the ODP. AOL owns the ODP, and they stopped using ODP data YEARS ago. Now they are google powered. Google only uses ODP data when they can not find a more suitable description to a webpage, so they will use the ODP description... but with how few sites the ODP has these days when compared to all the sites out there, you can see they do not use them often. Netscape no longer uses the ODP either... in fact, Netscape search now falls under AOL, which again, uses google, which does not use the ODP data.

Either way, the ONLY people that still use ODP data are pretty much editors, and webmasters who have read a blog that was written with 10 year old information.

1st off, he is arguing with you... I take it you hate the ODP?
    2nd I understand you were not talking about you, so you are now speaking on behalf of others?
    3rd you have seemingly overlooked his point completely... and seemingly have not trouble with the lies and misinformation that the ODP spreads. Is that any worse then those that hate it? Ever wonder there is a reason for the hate? Like the actions of those that edit for the directory? I mean, look at the points he is using to back up his claims! they are the lies based off of the inability of the ODP to update itself. You are a model EDITOR it seems, as you care nothing for those actually looking for relevant information in favor of simply belittling those that seek information about your own beloved directory.

You are a sad sad sad person.

Qryztufre, Jul 8, 2012 IP
  17. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LOL, you are the one with vent up frustration.......im more than happy editing and doing what i do:)

snooks, Jul 8, 2012 IP
  18. ThatWasEasyButton

ThatWasEasyButton Peon

Best Answers:
    If someone is a vegan, I say nothing to them. I still love my steak :)

ThatWasEasyButton, Jul 8, 2012 IP
  19. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Well, it's good to know you are not frustrated by working with a site that has outdated and mileading information about itself that after this long are really outright lies. Such things truly say a LOT about how you feel about yourself and the end users of the ODP. Those submitting to DMOZ would be wise to know that it's editors don't really care about them, and that for the editors it's all about the editors and "what they do".

I am really happy that you are happy, but that in no way shape or form change the fact how sad you are.

and kudos for supporting the lies and corruption that is the ODP. Jolly good chap!

Qryztufre, Jul 8, 2012 IP
  20. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    RAFLMAO since you have reapplied to be an Editor again, yourself.....but i dont believe you have been accepted. LOL.

snooks, Jul 9, 2012 IP