1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Tips for Getting Listed in Dmoz

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Mia2012, Jul 5, 2012.

Getting listed in Dmoz has always been a major concern for those webmasters who know what difference a Dmoz listing can make to their site's search engine positioning. As Dmoz is a free volunteered directory, it requires your site to be the best in your industry, if it is not then make sure to make it.

But many people are not aware of the things that are responsible for getting a listing in Dmoz, there are some dos and don'ts that make your site into Dmoz but what are they? what things you need to follow? and what things are to be avoided? following are few tips which would help you out.

1. Submit your site to a proper category.
    Most of the sites submitted to Dmoz are rejected due to having submitted to improper or wrong categories, so you must find out the most relevant category for your site before submitting it to Dmoz. If you are unsure about which category you should submit to then just do a search in Dmoz for the sites similar to yours and note down the category to which they have been submitted to. If you have done this one correctly then you are having the most relevant category for your website. Now just go on and submit to the category you have got.

2. Make sure that your site has original and quality content.
    People nowadays are looking for more and more quality content and they get annoyed with the sites having nothing more than a bunch of affiliate links or sales letters. If your site lacks in content then you have no chance of making into the directory as the directories nowadays are looking for the sites which have a strong base of original and quality content, if your site doesn't has sufficient content then make sure to add a few reviews, articles and other additional information about your services and products.

3. Get your web site professionally designed.
    If you have done the above two steps properly then your site is already deserving a listing in Dmoz and it adds more to your credibility if your site is professionally designed. You might have seen many unprofessionally designed sites making into Dmoz, so this not really a factor for your inclusion in the directory but as we know that the editors of the Dmoz directory are also human beings so a professionally designed site does make a good impression on them and thus increases your chances for inclusion in Dmoz.

4. Be sure to put your contact information on the web site.
    Now just putting an email address is not enough. If you are doing a business you need people to trust you by showing them your physical address, so that they don't think that you are a run away business. Many times the editors reject sites if they don't see any physical contact information on the site, so it is very much necessary for you to put up at least your phone number on your contacts page, also putting your physical address would be much better.

5. Check your site for broken links and spelling errors.
    Before submitting your site to the Dmoz directory make sure to check your website for broken links and spelling errors, though the editors are looking for quality but they are also human beings and will be annoyed by lots of errors and clumsily designed sites, so be sure to check and correct the errors if any before you submit your site to Dmoz. by Akash Kumar, October 2006

Getting listed in Dmoz has always been a major concern for those webmasters who know what difference a Dmoz listing can make to their site's search engine positioning. As Dmoz is a free volunteered directory, it requires your site to be the best in your industry, if it is not then make sure to make it.

But many people are not aware of the things that are responsible for getting a listing in Dmoz, there are some dos and don'ts that make your site into Dmoz but what are they? what things you need to follow? and what things are to be avoided? following are few tips which would help you out.

1. Submit your site to a proper category.
    Most of the sites submitted to Dmoz are rejected due to having submitted to improper or wrong categories, so you must find out the most relevant category for your site before submitting it to Dmoz. If you are unsure about which category you should submit to then just do a search in Dmoz for the sites similar to yours and note down the category to which they have been submitted to. If you have done this one correctly then you are having the most relevant category for your website. Now just go on and submit to the category you have got.

2. Make sure that your site has original and quality content.
    People nowadays are looking for more and more quality content and they get annoyed with the sites having nothing more than a bunch of affiliate links or sales letters. If your site lacks in content then you have no chance of making into the directory as the directories nowadays are looking for the sites which have a strong base of original and quality content, if your site doesn't has sufficient content then make sure to add a few reviews, articles and other additional information about your services and products.

3. Get your web site professionally designed.
    If you have done the above two steps properly then your site is already deserving a listing in Dmoz and it adds more to your credibility if your site is professionally designed. You might have seen many unprofessionally designed sites making into Dmoz, so this not really a factor for your inclusion in the directory but as we know that the editors of the Dmoz directory are also human beings so a professionally designed site does make a good impression on them and thus increases your chances for inclusion in Dmoz.

4. Be sure to put your contact information on the web site.
    Now just putting an email address is not enough. If you are doing a business you need people to trust you by showing them your physical address, so that they don't think that you are a run away business. Many times the editors reject sites if they don't see any physical contact information on the site, so it is very much necessary for you to put up at least your phone number on your contacts page, also putting your physical address would be much better.

5. Check your site for broken links and spelling errors.
    Before submitting your site to the Dmoz directory make sure to check your website for broken links and spelling errors, though the editors are looking for quality but they are also human beings and will be annoyed by lots of errors and clumsily designed sites, so be sure to check and correct the errors if any before you submit your site to Dmoz.
    by Akash Kumar

Mia2012, Jul 5, 2012 IP
  2. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    2012: Do not bother...

1: many editors disregard the guidelines, so submitting to the wrong category, can result in getting your site rejected, but according to some it will get moved. Submitting to the ODP is a crap shoot at best.

2: At least one site has thousands of listings all that have nothing but a header, footer and syndicated content in between.... so while they may say content in king, in the ODP it's sometimes 1000% optional. Submiting to the ODP is a crap shoot at best.

3: What? I have a page written in HTML 2.0 (and even broken at that) that has been listed... but I also have some professional sites not listed. Submitting to the ODP is a crap shoot at best.

4: Only in (parts of) regional... outside of regional I do not believe it's required... but hey, if you wanna put your name on things so editors have an easier time to ask you for a paid listing, be my guest... but even then, submitting to the ODP is a crap shoot at best.

5: If your professional designers are leaving you with misspelled words and broken links, you paid too much.

Either way, would you happen to have any original worthy of reading because it's current information to share?

(also note, another member already copy pasted that here: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=896690&p=8223542#post8223542)

Qryztufre, Jul 5, 2012 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  3. abhisal

abhisal Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey friends thanks for telling us all the points i really need it....

abhisal, Jul 5, 2012 IP
  4. Filefolks.com

Filefolks.com Peon Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Nice tips. There are some fiverr gigs, i think you can make use of that to get listed on DMOZ.

Filefolks.com, Jul 5, 2012 IP
  5. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes you really need it, its the most important thing for you right now!
    You work real hard to get listed in the 1987 directory!!

joeventura, Jul 18, 2012 IP
  6. webforyouon1

webforyouon1 Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for nice information.

webforyouon1, Jul 18, 2012 IP
  7. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I worked hard and my geocities site (or is it angelfire) with the blink tags and the star background got accepted last week! Yay me!

helleborine, Jul 20, 2012 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  8. bdtaka

bdtaka Member

Best Answers:
    Awesome Tips .... thank you bro

bdtaka, Jul 24, 2012 IP
  9. Raffkhan

Raffkhan Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    How about the age of site? Is it affected?

Raffkhan, Jul 28, 2012 IP
  10. cyberroyals

cyberroyals Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    great post really helpful for me thanks

cyberroyals, Jul 28, 2012 IP
  11. Fundoo Shreya

Fundoo Shreya Peon

Best Answers:
    Wonderful post....Thanks a lot.

I just need to know 1 thing. How long one should wait to be listed in Dmoz. I have posted my website 1 month back and its yet not listed. So I should wait or repost...please suggest.

Fundoo Shreya, Jul 30, 2012 IP
  12. 2Good

2Good Peon

Best Answers:
    How much traffic ( daily new visitors or daily page views ) is needed to get approved in dmoz ?

There are many other directories out there then why everyone prefer dmoz and if you say google crawl pages from dmoz then why google likes dmoz ?

2Good, Jul 30, 2012 IP
  13. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The T&C, that you read and agreed, forbid repeat suggestions.

We have no interest in traffic, caring far more about useful and unique content.

jimnoble, Jul 30, 2012 IP
  14. Ak.Ayush

Ak.Ayush Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Good Tips.. Thanx. Bro.

Ak.Ayush, Jul 30, 2012 IP
  15. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Sometimes...

a forum or blog just starting out may not make it in till it gets a little time under its belt to show the editors that its established & the owner is willing to keep it up.

generally though, it's not something that is taken into account, or rather its something based on the editor looking at it.

Qryztufre, Jul 30, 2012 IP
  16. Mr.Dog

Mr.Dog Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think Dmoz is dead. I've worked years and years on many sites and it's a high possibility that they've let it sink.
    After all, Google might not give that much importance to it in 2012. Back 2003, 2004 it was still a "big thing" to get in...

Mr.Dog, Aug 4, 2012 IP
  17. latnemele

latnemele Member

Best Answers:
    I just want to add something. Make sure that your site has a TOS, Contact us and Privacy Policy pages. I can't stress how important this is.

Additionally it helps if you make a page on your page where you put information such as a telephone number and address. They don't have to be real.

latnemele, Aug 6, 2012 IP
  18. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

none of that is within the guidelines (cept under some regional categories) so it's optional at best...

though they all are good ideas and are highly recommended for issues of trust... but are not required for the ODP.

Qryztufre, Aug 6, 2012 IP
  19. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Where are the credibility and integrity in that?

jimnoble, Aug 6, 2012 IP
  20. latnemele

latnemele Member

Best Answers:
    I said this because some people are afraid to put information about them online. Of course that if you own a small/medium business it's much better for you to include your real address and phone number I just gave those who aren't willing to put such information online an option.

I do not care about DMOZ as I didn't see a big change in my SERPs but I've made a few tests and this is what worked for me. I got 12 out of 20 websites listed in DMOZ in about a month so it's not 100% sure that you'll get a listing but it definitely helps and I am sure about this because the results of previous tests that I ran were much worse (3/18)

So my advices won't guarantee you listing in DMOZ but it isn't hard to do any of the things that I mentioned. Plus in an update a few months ago google stated that every website must have a TOS and Contact us page and I am 100% sure about this. I think Google released this information in a video on youtube. If anybody wants it just PM me.

latnemele, Aug 7, 2012 IP