1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is DMOZ still any good in 2012?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by gazraz, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    And if there happened to be any perks, such perks would soon be lost due to editors finding out & removing any related sites from the directory. As well as, I'm pretty sure google is catching on how to figure such sneaky things out, especially when you have a home improvement site with a bunch of recipe links 301ed to it.

Qryztufre, Apr 21, 2012 IP
  2. raptormarketing

raptormarketing Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is extinct, like the dinosaurs. In simple words, submitting a website on DMOZ is useless.

raptormarketing, Apr 22, 2012 IP
  3. BuenaBe

BuenaBe Peon

Best Answers:
    i think not..i have site DMOZ liste butthis site dont have good traffict and bad on SERP

BuenaBe, Apr 22, 2012 IP
  4. Netizenx

Netizenx Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'm very happy to see DMOZ dying. It's about time. Web directories are so 1990's and DMOZ was the most evil and corrupt directory. I used to be able to get my sites into Yahoo without paying the $300 for quick approval. Sure, it would take a few months, but DMOZ, forget it. Completely corrupt, that's why it's become irrelevant. I've never dealt with such a bunch of smug, power hungry fascists as the DMOZ editor.

Netizenx, Apr 24, 2012 IP
    humtuma likes this.
  5. indyonline

indyonline Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I haven't even wasted my time going to dmoz for over 3 years...
    -
    Again, people think Google is stupid... Does anybody here really think Google don't know that DMOZ is corrupt...?
    -
    I seriously doubt Google gives much "link juice" to a link from DMOZ...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IMO, DMOZ ='s a waste of time even discussing...

indyonline, Apr 24, 2012 IP
  6. albertthomas

albertthomas Peon

Best Answers:
    According to me its not good because it gives approval result after 4-6 months.

albertthomas, May 1, 2012 IP
  7. infotripro

infotripro Member

Best Answers:
    5,024,673 sites - 95,225 editors... how many sites per editor? to check a title and a description? come on! we are in the speed age and dmoz belongs to the past.

infotripro, May 1, 2012 IP
  8. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you had read around these page you would have realised that the number of editors on the first page is the number of editors who have ever contributed, even one site, over it's 12 year history! But 5 million sites to manage with about 3500 active editors is a slightly different ball game than the one you project and each of those editors works as much as they wish, in the categories of their choosing (given their permissions) then it is a formidable task but we do our best as hobbyists who are only interested in a directory for end users and have absolutely no interest in any value a listing might get.

Anonymously, May 2, 2012 IP
  9. infotripro

infotripro Member

Best Answers:
    "works as much as they wish" "as hobbyists" to produce "one site contribution"? :cool:

infotripro, May 3, 2012 IP
  10. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Which there is nothing wrong with as it's well within the guidelines.

Qryztufre, May 4, 2012 IP
  11. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes no editor receives any payment. Editors work in their spare time and offer what they can. This is not a business this is a group of hobbyist enthusiasts who want to produce a directory for people who want to use collated data to search the net. Sites don't have to have flashy pages or the latest gizmos, the editing team look for unique content...that's all!!

Least of all editors have no interest in any value or otherwise that a site might get from a listing, editors don't have to use the suggestions when they work an area, they can use their own knowledge and experience to find sites and in some areas with the high volume of spam that is far better use of the limited time they can offer.

This is a different sort of directory.Most directories exist to make their owners money, but DMOZ is free to suggest, carries no advertising and all its editors are volunteers. That is one of the many reasons that DMOZ listings were seen as valuable by Google. Mercifully much of the pressure on DMOZ has gone since they stopped using a clone of DMOZ as the Google Directory,they had nothing to do with the directory just used the information. Perhaps now DMOZ can get on with producing a directory for end users without site owners looking askance when they discover this is not a swish professional paid organisation but a group of volunteer hobbyists.

But I will tell you after being an editor for over 10 years it's a cracking hobby and we welcome new editors,just have to pass the entry test. Why not join us infotripro.Hey Q why don't you? oh sorry you tried to get back years ago....and still have not made it.

Anonymously, May 4, 2012 IP
  12. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

OMG LOL... yeah, have not made it! And not for a lack of trying mind you, the ODP is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo busy adding sites and keeping the place updated, they simply can not bother to getting around to rejecting my application for reinstatement. Though it's once again nice that you try turning a thread into something about me, it's good to know that you care!

Got a question though... is it possible for you to write a post on digitalpoint without speaking for ALL editors, or bringing me up?

You do realize that I broke NO RULES while being an editor, and left for moral reasons that you clearly do not care about, as you clearly have no morals, and your lies and half truths clearly show that.

Qryztufre, May 5, 2012 IP
    Ibn Juferi likes this.
  13. reelstuff

reelstuff Active Member

Best Answers:
    Some interesting replies, I think its sort of like being a member of an exclusive country club you know the kind where you sip drinks in the shade while time and the rest of the world just pass you by, you have fun when your there but life just does not seem real, you think your having a good time while you order the same food day after day but eventually when you try to leave,

seriously I had a look around that place and the dust is a real problem, it seems to clog up the entire place, it might be a place that was once a great resort filled with ever so cool people but now its sort of just a place where nomads dwell, they think they are doing something interesting but in reality there just killing time until something knocks the blocks out from under them and they end up wondering how technology passed them by so thoroughly.

Truth be told I dont care if I ever get a listing in there, in the time it takes to fix all the problems they have over there you could develop your own system that would benefit you far more than one listing amount millions where no one but those that sleep hang out anyway.

Its a washed up old frying pan that does not know its rusted out and worthless to anyone.

reelstuff, Jul 3, 2012 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  14. Parihar40

Parihar40 Peon

Best Answers:
    I would say that Dmoz is important. it is still very popular. Being that popular it means it is important and people know that, experienced people too. So I will try and go for it. Might take forever but it does not hurt trying right?

Parihar40, Jul 3, 2012 IP
  15. indyonline

Best Answers:
    It's only popular to webmasters...

indyonline, Jul 4, 2012 IP
  16. psycho180

psycho180 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    They never Accept.. :'(

psycho180, Jul 4, 2012 IP
  17. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    was ... ...

Qryztufre, Jul 4, 2012 IP
    indyonline likes this.
  18. indyonline

Best Answers:
    lol true that. most don't waste their time. haven't for years either lol

indyonline, Jul 4, 2012 IP
  19. satinderbal

satinderbal Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hello experts ,

I worked on 100+ project, all having good position in the google.
    But i never run after dmoz,yahoo etc.
    I don't think so that dmoz submission is necessary for a seo expert.

So my question is why dmoz is important.?
    Is there additional benefit of dmoz ?

Regards.

satinderbal, Jul 6, 2012 IP
  20. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you did all those and have good position in Google WITHOUT a DMOZ listing then you answered your own question didnt you?

joeventura, Jul 7, 2012 IP