1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

what is the most important thing for domain value?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by gsduds, Jul 2, 2012.

I was wondereing what is the thing that makes the prices go up when selling a domain. Is it Page rank, search per month or backlinks that is the most important thing when choosing a domain?

for example the domain : prayingneighbor.com has pr 1 and 85 backlinks but no search results. (it is already taken). what would this be worth based on BL and PR?

the domain : depressioncures.com [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] has 880 direct searches, but what is it worth based on only the searches? ( it is also taken)

(which of those would be most worth you think?)

thx[/FONT]

gsduds, Jul 2, 2012 IP
  2. atxsurf

atxsurf Peon

Best Answers:
    1) reasonably short
    2) somewhat matching keywords
    3) memorable
    4) having some development potential (commercial value)

page rank, backlinks and traffic can be earned with time, while the domain name itself will never change

atxsurf, Jul 2, 2012 IP
  3. gsduds

gsduds Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    what do you mean by somewhat matching keywords? :)

gsduds, Jul 2, 2012 IP
  4. ImageAuthors

ImageAuthors Member

Best Answers:
    If we're talking about an undeveloped domain, then page rank is rarely of any interest to a buyer. If they have the funds to buy a premium domain, then they can also afford to promote the website they will build in order to rank at the top.

ImageAuthors, Jul 2, 2012 IP
  5. atxsurf

atxsurf Peon

Best Answers:
    I mean it is likely now days that your domain going to be 2 word at leas as all sex.com. mortgage.com, insurance.com, flights.com are already taken
    so you need some 2 word combination that makes at least some sense
    if you register flightsPlate.com I am not certain of its commercial value.
    easy test - do google search for "word1 word2" (with quotes) of the domain you are thinking of. you should see at least 1000's occurrences of this word combination for it to make sense for anybody

PS. and the point I have tried to make is sex.com domain name is the only one in the world regardless its PR, backlinks or traffic which all can be bought later but the domain name itself what values the most

atxsurf, Jul 2, 2012 IP
  6. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    It depends on the potential buyer. If it's a developer/SEO they could be more interested in PR, backlinks etc, but to the average Joe, they couldn't care less about that, and the actual domain would be of greater importance.

dcristo, Jul 2, 2012 IP
  7. ImageAuthors

ImageAuthors Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, a developer/SEO will see current PR and existing backlinks as an advantage. But it is certainly wrong to conclude that these are the factors that matter most. You're right that the average Joe will care more about the domain itself. After all, the domain is the brand name that gets talked about and remembered -- or doesn't get talked about or gets forgotten or misremembered. But it isn't JUST the average Joe who cares primarily about the domain itself. Domain investors, both individuals and corporate entities, care primarily about the domain itself. Barnes and Noble paid millions for Books.com because of the domain itself. They would not have paid anything for Random-Books.net even if this latter domain had better PR and lots of back links.

I'm not an SEO or even a developer. I work with domains as such, buying and selling them. From my perspective, this forum sometimes presents a distorted picture of what makes a domain valuable by exaggerating the importance of PR and backlinks. I certainly do value what an SEO/developer thinks, but a more balanced picture should include the domain investors who have the capital to bankroll a website and the average Joes (and Jills) who will be the customers and audience.

8. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    ^ I completely agree with you. Basically was trying to say certain attributes can make a domain more valuable to a developer/SEO, whilst the average Joe wouldn't care or pay extra because of them. At the end of the day, you really don't want to be targeting developers/SEOs because these kinds of end users don't typically pay a great deal for domains.

dcristo, Jul 2, 2012 IP
  9. ImageAuthors

ImageAuthors Member

Best Answers:
    You're right on both points. Sometimes, though, developers/SEOs would be better served if they paid a little bit more for a domain brand that has strengths other than (1) being $10 or (2) having some preexisting backlinks and PR ... because an awkward domain can act like a 5 foot ceiling for a website's growth.

10. gsduds

gsduds Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    so when i buy domains, i should always for : decent short, cathcy/memorable, popular niche and where there is money to be made? :)

gsduds, Jul 3, 2012 IP
  11. Agem

Agem Active Member

Best Answers:
    If I says your domain name should be easily accessible & memorable then the visitor gets it easily and domain also shows your work flow.. what does work you are do exactly?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
    Agem, Jul 3, 2012 IP
  12. Obosh

Obosh Peon

Best Answers:
    If your domain name is not a 2 character or 3 character or 4 character or a commonly/frequently used dictionary word then it is really very difficult to predict/guess the probable/actual price of the domain. Even if the name has good monthly searches and good CPC.

It totally depends up on the ability as well as interest of the buyer as well as buyer types.

Different people look for different feature of a domain names. As Dcristo said, SEO/Developers will look for PR/BL etc....if a company (say apple) needs/wants a domain name they may not bother about PR/BL issues...and if buyer is a domainer then he will consider many issues like – PR/BL/Dmoz/BlackList/Trademark/Exact Monthly Search/CPC/Trend/Recent or Historical sell value of same kind/type of domains and so many other issues…and if it is a normal guy like me than he will look for length, spell, brandable, memorable, number, hyphens etc....lol

So, hard to predict the value of a domain name…a 10 months old domain can be sold with thousands of dollar without any reason again a 10 years very good domain may not be sold for any reason.

Domain Name is a very interesting type of industry.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
    Obosh, Jul 5, 2012 IP
  13. peeptoeshoescom

peeptoeshoescom Peon

Best Answers:
    your domain name should have.
    1. short
    2. easy to memorable
    3. commercial value
    4. relevant for seo purpose

peeptoeshoescom, Jul 5, 2012 IP
  14. JerrickYeoh

JerrickYeoh Active Member

Best Answers:
    I believe depressioncures.com can make huge amount of money . But it really depend while they do someone paid huge money to buy spelling error domain as well so why not you .
    Since you owned those domain , you need increase the PR, Organic Traffic, High SERP, High Alexa Ranking, Huge numbers of backlink that will help you to increase the domain value you sell.

JerrickYeoh, Jul 9, 2012 IP
  15. livingmylife

livingmylife Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I agree with Jerrickyeoh. You should do something with that domain name to entice buyers. I believe that a lot of buyers what instant traffic, revenue, page rank or something to start with if they are gonna pay some good money instead of wanting to start from scratch....

livingmylife, Jul 15, 2012 IP
  16. cc1452

cc1452 Peon

Best Answers:
    Domain valuation is a bit like valuation of arts. You can get an appraisal, but ultimately it depends on how much a potentially seller is really willing to pay for it. Therefore there can be wide swings between domains that on first sght appear quite comparable. It also makes a huge difference if you are selling to another domainer/reseller or to someone who has a plan for a website, with the latter usually willing to pay a higher price.
    Good luck!

cc1452, Jul 16, 2012 IP
  17. vbulletinva

vbulletinva Peon

Best Answers:
    like the saying goes - beauty is in the eye of the beholders, so is domain's value.

vbulletinva, Jul 16, 2012 IP
  18. unitedgrow

unitedgrow Peon

Best Answers:
    Most important thing about a domain is the value it has.
    2. any english word .com has a high value because ".com" are 10 times faster optimized by Google than other extentions.
    3. second is a word, phrase, something that is keyword orientated and is brandable. Keyword: United, Grow, Plants, Seeds, can be best for UnitedGrow.org
    4. Age.... How old a domain is doesn't matter. How popular, competitive a domain name is, is what matters. Example: "Public University.net"
    5. Length of domain: Online High School Diploma.com is not as good as AskMFT.net or WebMD.com
    6. pr and backlinks are not that important. Backlinks are reanked based on quality over quantity.

unitedgrow, Jul 16, 2012 IP
  19. Monster_Sam

Monster_Sam Member

Best Answers:
    In my experience there are lots of factors to take into account.

In the domain name world, a domain is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. It's essentially as simple as that!

If you asked me for a few clear cut 'valuation' factors:

1. TLD - Buy .com if you can. Always have the highest value and hold their value incredibly well.
    2. Length - The shorter the better, as long as it's a phrase or series of characters that makes sense or can be used for a common acronym.
    3. Memorability - Is it catchy? Need I mention a certain search giant that has an extremely catchy name and has since gone on to dominate the web.
    4. Keywords - Does your domain contain the keyword that you are aiming at? If so it will be worth more than one without it.
    5. Originality - Make it original. Try and avoid registering domains that somebody already has a trademark on! WIPO is not a simple process and you are letting yourself in for a horrible few months if you get involved with 'cybersquatting'.

However despite all of these indicators, there is no set way to value a domain name. Therefore I will reiterate my first point. A domain is worth what someone is willing to pay for it!

Just my 2c!

Monster_Sam, Jul 17, 2012 IP
  20. huseyinyilmaz

huseyinyilmaz Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    thank you learn a lot from you :)

huseyinyilmaz, Jul 17, 2012 IP