1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

div vs table

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by bilalpakistani, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Patcoola

Patcoola Peon

Best Answers:
    There is many technical reasons to not use tables for design, I don't what to explain them all.
    Use divs, it's a million times faster.

Patcoola, Jun 21, 2012 IP
  2. Alien44

Alien44 Member

Best Answers:
    Keep in mind the following:

Div's load faster than tables.
    Tables are inflexible.
    Accessibility issues are easier with div's.
    Tables do not print very well.

Alien44, Jun 21, 2012 IP
  3. bill_1983

bill_1983 Peon

Best Answers:
    about 5 years ago. I don't use table to position the elements in a webpage. In my experience the div is smarter than table. and it's standard in css2. we should follow the standard in web design.

bill_1983, Jun 21, 2012 IP
  4. hirenrathod39

hirenrathod39 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree :) (Y)

hirenrathod39, Jun 21, 2012 IP
  5. MrOSX

MrOSX Active Member

Best Answers:
    Easier: Tables
    More Effective: DIV

MrOSX, Jun 22, 2012 IP
  6. GasTon

GasTon Peon

Best Answers:
    i like use div
    I think it's more professional method and more easy.
    But i know a lot of site and web designer who like use table.
    And they make really cool websites.

GasTon, Jun 22, 2012 IP
  7. bilalpakistani

bilalpakistani Member

Best Answers:
    Its easy to position your elements, using <table> tag only.. no need to use CSS and, what the hectic thing is positioning. Using divs is very difficult..
    Calculate pixels all the time..

then, make CSS , put there lots of attributes..

bilalpakistani, Jun 23, 2012 IP
  8. wiicker95

wiicker95 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    And this is properly positioned for you??

2uo71gz.jpg

Either forget the tables and learn CSS, or quit coding.

wiicker95, Jun 23, 2012 IP
  9. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    ive always found divs and css to be easier to work with rather then tables. Now ive switched to dreamweaver and again, its even easier to use divs and css for page layout, and for tabular data (and sometimes for forms) i will insert a table within.
    Calculating pixels? im sorry but how is this hard?

matt_62, Jun 23, 2012 IP
  10. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    and you had a computer 30 years ago? you would have had to do it all in punch cards....

my kids laugh at me when i tell them that 20 years ago computers were that rare and expensive that our schools computers was a laminated printout of a keyboard on a piece of paper (yet we all had to practice typing!)

matt_62, Jun 23, 2012 IP
  11. mcfc4eva

mcfc4eva Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Interesting. The span tag has only existed since HTML 4.0 which was released 15 years ago, in 1997. If you're going to lie, at least make it possible to be true.

Anyway, the answer (or actually answers) to your question lies here (http://www.hotdesign.com/seybold/everything.html).

mcfc4eva, Jun 23, 2012 IP
  12. bilalpakistani

bilalpakistani Member

Best Answers:
    @wiicker95

When people use Tabled Layout, it looks the same in all Browers..
    Whether it is internet explorer, or Chrome, or Firefox...

When People use Use DiVs they mostly Write
    In their Websites, this message

gg.PNG

Why don't use Internet Explorer its the oldest browser.. OLD is GOLD never left it..?
    I Dare you not to challenge me again :)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
    bilalpakistani, Jun 23, 2012 IP
  13. wiicker95

wiicker95 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I wrote that because I HATE IE FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY SOUL, and when I'm heavily stoned, I sing this : http://youtu.be/vTTzwJsHpU8

However, all my works are cross browser compatible, including that crappy website of mine (I'll be redesigning it soon), unlike your designs! Oh, wait a minute, you have only designed one template in your life!! And tell you what, it really looks bad... (I'm talking about this : http://xurst.info ). The layout is completely broken in IE.

So please, back to the topic. But dude, there's nothing to discuss about, tables for tabular data, divs for layouts, period.

wiicker95, Jun 23, 2012 IP
  14. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Really? By 1982 I had already designed a few disk drive controllers and was on about my 3rd disk OS. CP/M, a fairly mature disk OS of the time, was written in 1973. (TOPS-10, the system it was based on, had been written in 1967 - which would be 45 years ago.) By 1979 a disk-driven controller for the huge Zeiss Planetarium projector was in operation in Hong Kong (and that technology was no big deal by that time, although we did use some of the first Intel keyboard/display controller chips shipped, and we did develop some new, if fairly trivial from my current viewpoint, ways of doing things), and punch cards were a dim memory in then-modern shops.

So do I - at the primitive state YOUR school was in, compared to the DOS computers everyone was getting rid of so they could run Windows. Every secretary in the company I was working for 20 years ago had her own desktop, so did every executive. About the only people who didn't have their own didn't need one. No one had no access to any computer at all - we wouldn't have hired anyone who couldn't at least use a word processor, or couldn't be taught to run a spreadsheet program. Even the shipping clerks had to be able to boot up the comnputers used to run the scales and label printers. IIRC, there was ONE electric typewriter in the entire building, only because the Selectric was such a fine piece of machinery that it seemed almost sacreligious to toss it.

Your knowledge of computer history needs a bit of recomputation.

I do agree that not many people were using HTML tags 30 years ago, but I think that was just a bit of poetic license.

Rukbat, Jun 23, 2012 IP
  15. dreamzdb

dreamzdb Member

Best Answers:
    one good reason is so that you don't write code from a decade ago.... you should still use tables for tabular data though.

A div is a div no matter what browser you use. There are slight differences in the box model for Internet Explorer prior to IE5, you can learn them if you want, but why cater to a dinosaur? Other than that it's all the same.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
    dreamzdb, Jun 23, 2012 IP
  16. citysider

citysider Peon

Best Answers:
    If a div works better then use a div, if a table works better then use a table. simples. Also, for html email then tables are all you can use.

citysider, Jun 25, 2012 IP
  17. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So, since a div (or span) works better (for many reasons, some of them listed already), use spans or divs unless you're displaying tabular data.

And since email is a text medium, don't use HTML in email (unless you want to lose at least half your intended audience).

Rukbat, Jun 25, 2012 IP
  18. dreamzdb

dreamzdb Member

Best Answers:
    Most good email services like Aweber and Get Response will always have a plain text alternative for people that don't have HTML. You wont lose your audience using HTML and you will have the huge added benefit of the ability to use anchor tags instead of full URL links.

ex: Click Here to visit our site

instead of just http://mysite . com / whatever

dreamzdb, Jun 25, 2012 IP
  19. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Most good email "services" won't change anything in the email you send, so if you send HTML email to people who can't handle it, or who consider HTML to be spam, you lose them. But that's only the commercial viewpoint. Hobbyists are free to do anything, no matter how large the bullet holes they put into their own feet.

Rukbat, Jun 25, 2012 IP
  20. dreamzdb

dreamzdb Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not really sure what lead you to call me a "hobbyist".... I guess you consider people like Frank Kern, Ryan Deiss, and Eban Pagan hobbyists as well since they all use HTML emails.

Your opinion is both misinformed and dated. This is directly from awebers page explaining multipart messages:

dreamzdb, Jun 26, 2012 IP