1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Flippa: Lots of watchers but no bids

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Celtivo, Jun 16, 2012.

I am selling a website on Flippa, and I am curious to know where this is normal, or mabe I am doing something wrong. My listing is for 7 days, and there are 3 days remaining.

I have NO bids, yet, however I have 15 people all watching it. I'm pretty skeptical to what to expect now; should I be expecting bids from at least 1 of the 15 people watching it?

Is 15 people watching a listing good/bad/normal, and should I expect bids within the next 3 days, if so how many, do you think?

Celtivo, Jun 16, 2012 IP
  2. Sensei.Design

Sensei.Design Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well I can't tell about the quality of your website without knowing it. Also the question is if the price you request is the one people are willing to pay. Additional you know from Ebay that the bids will come when the bidding is closing soon ;)

Sensei.Design, Jun 17, 2012 IP
  3. DomainMagnate

DomainMagnate Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    15 is a little low, but not bad. I'm guessing you didn't purchase any upgrades? It really is an arbitrary number, only thing that matters is how interested they are. I had auctions with 30-50 watchers and no one placed a bid in the last few days anyway and I had auctions with less watchers that sold successfully. The biggest one I had was with 100+ watchers.

Most serious buyers on flippa usually bid at the end of the auction, so expect most bids to come in the last day. Make sure you're online when the bidding is near the end so you can reply to questions quickly, approve bids if needed and possibly make a private bin deal.

Some things you can do to encourage bids is update the listing, post more screenshots, reply promptly to all the questions.
    I also usually purchase a frontpage upgrade before the last day - it brings lots of new visitors and is good value for $50 if it's a reasonably big site.

DomainMagnate, Jun 19, 2012 IP
    seodetectors07 likes this.
  4. readezarchive

readezarchive Active Member

Best Answers:
    You might try contacting some leads and informing them about the auction. You could try similar websites or find businesses in the yellow pages without a websites. Post some ads on craigslist with a link to your auction and get the word out. If your salespage isn't topnotch you could try rewriting it to glamorize your site as much as possible.

readezarchive, Jun 19, 2012 IP
  5. himanuzo

himanuzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not all websites that sell. Flippa claims that 50% websites sold in 3 last months.

People usually look for websites which have stable earning.

I think you need to attract more visitors to your auction.

himanuzo, Jun 19, 2012 IP
  6. lifeplayer

lifeplayer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This is happen commonly, suggest to lower down the bid to attract potential buyer to start bid

lifeplayer, Jun 19, 2012 IP
  7. wptheme

wptheme Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am really against this unless you are really desperate, cause if you do it will make you look desperate :D Get what I meant?
    if you have more than 10 watchers then your website is interesting regardless what people say.
    3 days is still a lot of time, usually from my experience people starts getting interested in the final 24-12 hours. Your site will also gain more attention at the Ending Auction list.

wptheme, Jun 21, 2012 IP
  8. lifeplayer

lifeplayer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Different people use different strategy, many website buyer like to observe, they worry spend too much or buy the low value website, other people start bidding is actually give them confident to start bidding. I not dealing much in website flipping but this works very well on ebay selling.

lifeplayer, Jun 21, 2012 IP
  9. Scofz

Scofz Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you offering anything else with the site? How about an Autoblog or related PLR/MRR stuff - all cheap but add to the value?

Scofz, Jun 22, 2012 IP
  10. Inkybrain

Inkybrain Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hello DP!
    Just finally put up my network of sites on sale (ask for link if you're curious, don't wanna spam) and on the first day now, had as many viewers as watchers, then only the viewers shot up. Kinda nervous, Flippa recommended 21 days, I chose 18 to end it on a saturday... think I will really need to wait to the last day??

wish me luck!

Inkybrain, Jul 23, 2013 IP
  11. Alyssa Lochmore

Alyssa Lochmore Member

Best Answers:
    If you have 15 people watching and still have 3 days to go, that's a good sign. However, apparently this is a somewhat old post. So, what's the verdict? Did anyone buy your domain, and if so, how much did they pay?

Alyssa Lochmore, Jul 23, 2013 IP
  12. dsmpub

dsmpub Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well what I do on Flippa is start it at $1 with no reserve and I always end up selling sites for more than what they are worth and getting a bidding war over the listing.

My last site was worth $400 and it went for $700 and in the last 12 months I must have sold about 20 sites and all of them were in the top 10 on Flippa of most active and thats where you want to be as you will get a lot more exposure.

To answer your question I would average about 80 watchers and finish with approximately 70 bids per auction.

I do notice that not many follow my tactic and end up relisting.

Another point is if you are a regular on Flippa you get more and more people watching your listings so the longer you are on Flippa = the more bids you will get!

dsmpub, Jul 24, 2013 IP
  13. Inkybrain

Inkybrain Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks dsmpub... I lowered my bid this morning (day 2 of 18 day listing) to $11 and got a $45 bid right away. I know its recommended to wait until you have a few bids before manually approving them to get the "active" ranking, but I think one bit at least looks better to start. It's actually the sale of a network of 11 well established sites, with lots of content and good PRs. Look forward to seeing how attractive it really is. :)

Inkybrain, Jul 24, 2013 IP
  14. dsmpub

dsmpub Active Member

Best Answers:
    You're welcome. I have always started all my sites at $1 and they always get instant bids and do really well and then by the time they are at $50 they have often had 10 bids and because the auction is then really active it brings a lot more bidders on board.

dsmpub, Jul 24, 2013 IP
  15. Inkybrain

Inkybrain Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well, got my first three bids within 24 hours, two small ones and a big one... 18 watchers now, sure hope it sells :)

Thanks for all the tips!

Inkybrain, Jul 25, 2013 IP
  16. Inkybrain

Inkybrain Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Looks like it's going ok, thanks guys for having a place to voice out thoughts as i go through this process... NONE of my friends even know 1% of what I'm telling them. I might as well be saying I'm selling air. As this is a first time for me, is $1500 on the second day with seven bids a good thing, or did it go too high too fast? 13 days to go.

Inkybrain, Jul 27, 2013 IP
  17. CandleKeep

CandleKeep Active Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe try sweetening the deal?

Offer tech support. Free updates. Free content. Something.

Let them know how they can contact you for questions.

Provide bonuses, but have the bonuses limited to the next 24 hours (or whenever your auction ends).

Do you have any social media accounts you can use to sweeten the deal?

:)

Just food for thought / brainstorming / my $.02

CandleKeep, Jul 28, 2013 IP
  18. Inkybrain

Inkybrain Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Not just two cents, but great ideas I'm already including! I've gotten a couple questions, and answered well, coz they bid after... and offered half a year assistance and 40 articles a month for the next six months (there are 11 sites in the network I'm selling). I guess now, its wait and watch :)

I'll keep ya'll updated, I guess the bid tempo just changes once it hits the thou$ands.

Inkybrain, Jul 28, 2013 IP
  19. dsmpub

dsmpub Active Member

Best Answers:
    Good luck - I always offer a months free hosting and 30 days free support but I often have sites that are unique going on there that I never really feel like I make an effort with my auctions.

I hope it goes well for you.

dsmpub, Jul 28, 2013 IP
  20. Inkybrain

Inkybrain Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    That's a good idea. I'm dealing with one issue from my listing now, someone, somehow has changed the links of one of my sites on flippa. A travel site of mine had its URL on flippa changed to another site. I've asked them to fix that back, I can't imagine flippa getting hacked?! But I checked my original html listing I made in dreamweaver, and it was not this other url I'd never heard of before... bizarre!

Inkybrain, Jul 28, 2013 IP