1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

do you need a contract when hiring freelance writer?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by ketanco, Jun 8, 2012.

hello,
    do you need a contract when hiring a freelance article writer or content provider? if so what points would be most important to mention in the contract?

ketanco, Jun 8, 2012 IP
  2. vickysharma513

vickysharma513 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, the contract should must be always there when ever you hire a freelancer. Because you need to have some proof for the future so that if the work is not done properly you can claim on that person.

vickysharma513, Jun 8, 2012 IP
  3. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You should always use contracts. They define the course of action, protect both parties by law, and provides proof of interaction.

NetStar, Jun 9, 2012 IP
  4. ketanco

ketanco Active Member

Best Answers:
    ok i drafted a one page thing that i will show to a copyright attorney. basically what i am saying is,
    -i own the copyright,
    -he must provide original work
    -if he copies from somewhere else, and that 3rd party seeks damages from me, writer is totally responsible

what else?

ketanco, Jun 9, 2012 IP
  5. emarion1114

emarion1114 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, contract is essential to any employment, whether it’s freelance service or not. It protects both parties in case of disputes regarding work. In writing a contract, I suggest you consider:
    Scope of Project – state up near the top of your contract the boiled down scope of the project you’re agreeing to take on, ie. 10 blog posts, 25-pages of informational copy for a website (does or doesn’t include keyword research and topic development), 2 press releases, etc.
    Deadlines for work
    Final copyrights
    Fee schedule – flat, hourly or per work done

emarion1114, Jun 9, 2012 IP
  6. ketanco

ketanco Active Member

Best Answers:
    yes thanks i got those too.

ketanco, Jun 9, 2012 IP
  7. rihards55

rihards55 Peon

Best Answers:
    ofcourse youll need an contract , but if its a friend or someone you could just say hes helping you or smtn to make benefit from it :D

rihards55, Jun 12, 2012 IP
  8. dom19

dom19 Active Member

Best Answers:
    It’s a good idea to have a contract in any business arrangement. When you hire a freelance writer, a contract protects your business and will make the writer feel more comfortable about the arrangement :eek:

dom19, Jun 12, 2012 IP
  9. fredthomas

fredthomas Peon

Best Answers:
    In my opinions you don't need any contract when hiring a freelancer for short term but for long term you must make a contract.

fredthomas, Jun 12, 2012 IP
  10. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Contacts are good if you end up taking someone to court. Most of the time for small jobs court would cost more then the job especially when you are dealing with people in other states and countries. a copy of an agreement like an email is enough for a lot of small jobs/for me anyway.

averyz, Jun 14, 2012 IP
  11. ketanco

ketanco Active Member

Best Answers:
    yes i think a short agreement is good to clarify things but for people outside the country it may not be necessary

ketanco, Jun 15, 2012 IP
  12. isababy

isababy Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    This actually depends on where you got your freelance employee. If you hired someone yourself meaning you went through posting an ad yourself and screening them, you should. It's a necessity to be clear of the agreement.

However, if you choose freelance workers on sites like oDesk, elance or Staff.com (for full time), then I think it's not that necessary. Staff.com for instance makes sure that the freelance employees on their database went through a rigid hiring process and has some significant experience. That's why I prefer hiring on those sites so I could be sure of who I hire.

isababy, Jun 19, 2012 IP
  13. ketanco

ketanco Active Member

Best Answers:
    in these sites can i hire just freelance or you hire full time only?

ketanco, Jun 19, 2012 IP
  14. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    but when you hire online, how can a contract be signed?

Ive noticed a trend of people being hired and then reselling / distributing the work.

matt_62, Jun 19, 2012 IP
  15. TopicBay

TopicBay Peon

Best Answers:
    Contracts are not really worth the paper they are written on. You really have no recourse if something is not to your liking, many times you will be hiring a writer that is not even in the same country as you.

If you want regular content, without the hassle of negotiations and worrying about quality control. Then please take the time to visit us at Topicbay.

TopicBay, Jun 19, 2012 IP
  16. isababy

isababy Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Technically, freelance means working independently or on your own.

Now, I think I could rephrase the question to: Can I hire contract workers or full time only?

From the sites I've mentioned, if you only want contract workers (those for certain projects or for a few months only), then you can go to odesk or elance. If you need full time staff (for instance, you are setting up an online startup company and you need full time people to work for the company as long as it exists), you should go to Staff.com instead.

I hope the distinction there was clear. That's how I got my trusted employees without worrying about setting up a contract of my own.

isababy, Jun 19, 2012 IP
  17. Rusty105

Rusty105 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Does anyone have an example of this type of contract?

Rusty105, Jun 20, 2012 IP