1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

And google hits an ALL TIME LOW today. New info

Discussion in 'Google' started by Laceygirl, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well...that was almost not offensive. lol

What I said there is pretty typical for companies. Take a look around.

Well, I live in Canada and my friend tried it in UK, but he only started getting the emails a few days later. I'm not sure if it works in other countries.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
    Laceygirl, Jun 16, 2012 IP
  2. LynnStrauch

LynnStrauch Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow...that sucks. Hmmm...wonder if that is why I have been getting all kinds of calls from companies I have never dealt with on my cell?

LynnStrauch, Jun 16, 2012 IP
  3. Celtivo

Celtivo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe you signed up fro a newsletter or something related to your search query, or something. I find it HIGHLY unlikely that Google would be selling your email; why would they risk their whole business in breaking the law for something that would hardly scratch the surface of their current revenue?

Don't make accusation like this without solid proof. You are not even saying its a 'possibility'. You are basically saying Google DID sell my email, and if you don't agree or believe, then I'm gonna stick a fork through your eye balls... Lol. Grow up.

Celtivo, Jun 16, 2012 IP
  4. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What risk do they really have? World vision steals money from people and sends only 1% or less to the starving people they are supporting. Vets pretend that there is something wrong with peoples' dogs and prescribe that they only eat the dog food brand that only vets sell.
    What risk is there? Google has already dumped off thousands of legit resources online with the penguin update so that they could throw all of the big boys and corporations up top.
    There's no risk at all.
    Why not. I saw it. I searched something, didn't enter any sites, then a couple of hours later got spam emails EXACTLY related to what I was searching. This is the only conclusion that I could make. What other conclusion is there?
    I failed at online business. All I have is my youth and I'm going to hold it as long as I can.
    And just so you know, Mr. Browntwn acts all conservative but really he hates my guts. We know each other from a year of bickering back and fourth.

5. Celtivo

Celtivo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You just seem like someone who wants to uncover this massive big plot of corruption throughout Google. I think you have been watching too many movies or have been brainwashed by a single curruption charge youve heard about on the news or something...

Give some proof, then we will listen. Otherwise go post your accusations that Googles all corrupt somewhere else.

Celtivo, Jun 16, 2012 IP
  6. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You are in no position to give me orders of where to go. lol;)

7. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    How is paid placement (Adwords) dirty?

I think a lot of what comes out of your mouth is sour grapes.

dcristo, Jun 16, 2012 IP
    browntwn likes this.
  8. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I didn't say adwords placements at the top is dirty. I said google selling rankings in search terms is dirty.
    Made up example: Karate, then you search Karate and ranked 4th is blackberry selling backgrounds of people doing karate.
    That's an example of google selling keyword serps to corporations.

Obviously, I made up that example but the results are fixed all over the place. They are selling SERPS. Dirty, dirty, dirty.

9. georgedosen

georgedosen Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think google would risk doing that because it would make many people stop using it...just like some people still refuse to signup for facebook due to privacy issues like fb selling data

georgedosen, Jun 16, 2012 IP
  10. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The thing is when you are a monopoly like google people don't really have a choice but to take it.

Everyone hates walmart and their evil plan to bobsled small business into bankruptcy selling expired dog food at discount and purchasing horrible quality stuff from china, but walmart is is the bigshot anyway.
    For now I think google is unstoppable. Maybe in the future, I hope they will be like netscape but I really don't see it happening soon.

11. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I know Google recently said they are going to start accepting payment for placement in their shopping search.

It sounds like you are suggesting they are currently, secretly, taking payments for placement in regular web searches? Like your previous claims, this one goes against every public pronouncement they have made. It would require that they have a whole system to work with companies, agree to terms, and accept payments for placement in the serps. All of this again secret and ignoring the fact that it cuts into their core business of accepting paid advertising along side the serp results. I feel like a fool even asking you - but what in the world makes you come to the conclusion they are selling serps? I would assume it is just you find a result that you think does not belong and then jumping to some wild conclusion with no real facts to support it. That would fit with your other wild theories about Google.

browntwn, Jun 16, 2012 IP
  12. WebDev Solutions

WebDev Solutions Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nonsense, a common theme here at DP in recent months. Move along folks. :)

WebDev

WebDev Solutions, Jun 16, 2012 IP
  13. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Blah, blah. Its not a result, its many many results. Here's a source: After I show you this is you think that this spot is not paid then you must be working for google or have shares there, because there's no question about this one:

google.com search "Dinosaurs" (Nice strong keyword 5million global search estimate)
    You notice in 5th the following.
    Now ask yourself this. When people search dinosaurs do you believe that everyone wants to know about a TV show that aired from 1991-1994. Is this what you call relevant results?
    That screams "we placed that there". That is a sad example of google saying they try to produce relevant results and anyone looks stupid who says that google didn't give IMDB a free ride to rankings there.

There's your freakin evidence. Care to debate that when people search the word dinosaurs most people really are interested in a tv show that was not even popular when it was aired with practically ZERO fan pages about it?
    Dendrophiliacs, a common theme here at DP since Sept 2008. Move along folks!:)

On a side note, I got 7 negative reputations from this topic. lol, all cowards hiding their name. -Reps don't hurt my emotion.

browntwn likes this.
  14. browntwn

Best Answers:
    Okay, first of all, thank you for an example. I have a couple comments.

1. I view 100 results per page. I do see that listing, but not in the top 10 and probably not in the top 20.
    2. When people search the sole term "dinosaurs" there are a couple logical conclusions about what the majority of people are looking for. First and foremost is basic information about dinosaurs. I think the results I see are basically what I would expect most people would want. There are far more specific searches related to dinosaurs that people make.
    3. I did a quick scrape of the term "dinosaurs" in Google to see what the most popular search phrases are that start with that word. Here they are:

As you can see, of the searches that start with the word "dinosaurs" the phrase "dinosaurs tv show" is the 2nd most popular only after the sole term dinosaurs. I think this shows that Google's placement of that information for the sole term dinosaurs somewhere in the top 30 results is not out of line or unexpected. I do not know if that term "dinosaurs tv show" is recently popular or has been for some time. Often times I see these results change due to some recent event. Maybe there was something about that show that came up recently, or it was recently re-played on TV. I have no idea. The results that I see look like what I would expect and I see nothing to suggest that Google is playing dirty and stuffing the results in an improper way. The TV show itself is called "Dinosaurs" making it a relevant result for this query - but I do agree I would not expect to see it in the top 5. I don't, so I would maybe assume you are seeing personalized results or some other modified result, but not due to some nefarious placement by Google.

Here are the results I saw. The link you are complaining about did not appear in my single view... but I did see it farther down.
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    [​IMG]

p.s. I own no Google stock nor do I work for Google. I did, back in 2005, do some part time work as a Quality Rater for Google for a couple months working for a 3rd party. I can assure you I have many of my own issues with the way Google does things and in no way think they are perfect or infallible. I just happen to think that you are coming to incorrect conclusions based on little evidence with the things you have chosen to take issue with .

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  15. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Think about this logically... For sake of argument, let's say Google was in fact doing it. It would be a bit of a catch 22 for them, because how are they going to sell these emails to people without telling people they are selling emails based on search? Once they start trying to get people paying for the emails, word will get out and the backlash from the privacy groups/government would be much larger than the $100 they made by selling the emails.

So Google has no monetary incentive to do such a thing because well... they can't get anyone willing to pay for the emails because they would have to tell people they were doing it.

I would bet everything I own that it's either a coincidence... or if you were able to get it to happen again with a different term, you have some sort of adware/spyware installed on your computer that's transmitting out what you are doing.

I've used a reverse firewall on my computer for years just so I know exactly what app on my computer is trying to do *anything* on the Internet. It's a Max OS X system, but you might want to search Google to see if there's something similar for Windows (if you use Windows). It's arguably the best $29 I ever spent. http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html

digitalpoint, Jun 16, 2012 IP
  16. browntwn

Best Answers:
    +1

Ignorance is bliss, but on the other hand Little Snitch is great. The demo works for 3 hours free and then stops each time you start your computer. That was enough to convince me to get it.

17. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    It's pretty ridiculous evidence to be honest. The results you expect to see for a keyword like this is going to be different to the next person. This is going to be the case for many broad keywords. How does google satisfy most searcher's needs? By displaying a diverse range of results. If you were expecting basic information about dinosaurs you don't have to look past the first result. How on earth you've drawn the conclusion that the organic results are full of paid results based on this boggles my mind.

dcristo, Jun 16, 2012 IP
    indyonline likes this.
  18. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't I think that running IMDB based on a forgotten show on a fiercely competitive keyword then showing that "dinosaurs tv show" is the 2nd popular makes me feel its rigged. There was only one show and one Disney movie. Both are very old, out dated, and pretty much forgotten. There is next to no popularity with the TV show since it was not aired for so long and was not that popular. There is next to no fan site, or anything. Its a total dud of a result that's been punched high in rankings for years. Why? because its IMDB.
    I don't think the show is relevant at all to the keyword. I think it should be ranked for the keyword "We're google and we automatically rank wikipedia and IMDB everywhere as long as they have a page that has the word in it".
    Forget quality results, forget paleontology, and forget discovery. People really want to see IMDB and the forgotten(not even popular show when it was aired) dinosaurs.

Of course this is deep end of my personal grudge against google. That was my keyword. 5 yrs and finally I was getting somewhere. 5th and moving up and one penguin update and now its all about IMDB and hollywood(hmm SOPA didn't win, think again). wikipedia, and there compilation of horribly outdated and innaccurate info, youtube which is just googles self promotion, and my personal favorite discovery channel. Gotta love discovery channel and their great findings about dinosaurs like the last months "Dinosaur fart caused extinction" or the more recent "dinosaurs came from outer space and do live on other planets". The penguin update has turned the internet into one big landfill for sites with hollywood and retarded tweet rumors.
    When you search dinosaurs you have to go past the garbage to get relevant results. That's where my first thought that google is a dirty result stuffer giving free chocolate to hollywood and corporations.
    When people type in "dinosaurs" do they expect to learn about a old ass stupid not even popular tv show that was around for a few years. Don't think so.
    This is one keyword. There is a bunch of hollywood and corporation slapped up topish all over the place.

But to the main point I'm going to say that I probably was mistaken about the email thing. It happened exactly how I said but I overlooked that it couldn't been some tracking cookie that was already installed on my computer. I hate google so much that I jumped to conclusions.
    I still believe that google does sell/give/insert corporations and hollywood crap in keywords unfairly as this is something I've been arguing about for years now.

Laceygirl, Jun 17, 2012 IP
  19. HalJordan

HalJordan Peon

Best Answers:
    Spyware can be a nasty thing. Are you using Chrome by any chance? :rolleyes:

HalJordan, Jun 17, 2012 IP
  20. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No, I'm using firefox.

Laceygirl, Jun 17, 2012 IP