1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I want to add my website in D Moz

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by core100, May 30, 2012.

1. greatviren

greatviren Peon

Best Answers:
    even i have submitted my site lets see what happens

greatviren, Jun 3, 2012 IP
  2. sms_sunder

sms_sunder Peon

Best Answers:
    i have seen some spam site in dmoz...i submitted some sites..no success

sms_sunder, Jun 4, 2012 IP
  3. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry about that Snooks. Though, erm, you keep bringing up that you want proof of corruption, so I keep bringing up that you wont accept it.

Jim, Dmoz is a commercial enterprise then? I thought it was a bunch of volunteers working at their hobby, not a bunch of people simply making money. WOW! when I am wrong I am wrong. I wonder how much it costs to buy a DMOZ link then.

I also wonder why that is not considered corruption, I mean, if you look at the guidelines, and you apply the treatment of TOPIX it certianly fits EVERY definition of corruption I have ever seen, but here we have not one, but two editors saying that its anything but corruption for a single site to break break multiple guidelines (1. deeplinks is a rule of thumb, and having thousands of them breaks that. 2. most of the topix links are syndicated, so there goes the unique content. 3. editor affiliated sites should not get special treatment, and no, it does not matter which editor. 4. its a human edited directory, and while it's not a "guideline" its still a corruption of humans do it better. 5. Editors would rather defend it being there rather than admit that corrupt starts from the top, if the editors defend corruption, they support corruption, and by affiliation are corrupt ) 6. that is all nothing when you compare it being a COMMERCIAL exchange showing that it is actually a paid link, but not just one, at the moment 17 thousand of them, and not just that, but you have editors in likely thousands of threads defending the ODP claiming there are no paid links.

So explain to the masses how you can corrupt at least three rules, the motto of the directory of itself, and support the corruption of both of those things while at the same time claim it's not corrupt?

Or does the ODP use a different definition of the word CORRUPT then the rest of the world... like they do with SERVICE, LISTING and QUEUE among other words.

Qryztufre, Jun 5, 2012 IP
  4. cristalmundo

cristalmundo Peon

Best Answers:
    I have an excellent website, with good content, quality backlinks, and I got to PR3 within 3 months, I am in the top 20,000 on Alexa, yet I can't get listed on DMOZ! I submitted nearly a year ago and haven't heard a thing. However, checking through other sites in my category on DMOZ, I find there are some really rubbish amateur ones, plus there is even one that is "under construction" - how did that happen? Why on earth does DMOZ have such a high PR when it allows such rubbish in, yet keeps quality out? My partner applied to be an editor but was rejected outright because he was connected to my website even though he applied to be editor in a different category - and it was a very rude rejection. I think DMOZ has gone downhill, but maybe Google hasn't realised it yet. I wish it didn't carry so much weight, but it does. However, that doesn't mean you can't get good rankings without it - you probably don't have a choice anyway!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
    cristalmundo, Jun 5, 2012 IP
  5. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You might have missed that AOL is a commercial enterprise. Since they indirectly own DMOZ, the suits can do whatever they like with it including making deals with third parties such as Topix. It's a heck of a stretch to claim that there was any editorial corruption involved in that transaction.

jimnoble, Jun 5, 2012 IP
  6. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I trust that you or your partner reported the under construction link that you found, using that update button at the top of almost evry page. Or are you just looking to get something out of DMOZ and not put in?

Please print your partners rejection letter so we can see what was really said. No one is bared because they own a site, but might well be rejected if they 'forgot' to mention it, easily forgotten no doubt, people are also rejected if they give the impression that they want to join just to further the ends of any web site.

I just add that it is above my 'pay' grade (pay, LOL, thousands of hours for free, but it's a great hobby) to even see editor applications or rejection letters, so I can't influence any part of it.

Anonymously, Jun 5, 2012 IP
  7. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

Why? It breaks MULTIPLE guidelines, and just because it came from the top, does not mean it's not corruption. That would be like saying politicians are not corrupt because they are the ones that run the government.

Any links that someone paid to get in, is a sign of corruption by the very rules and mindset that the directory was started under. If it's OK for paid links to be in the directory, then buying links would not be all that big of a deal...

But it's not just the money. Those links are anything but unique content. If I submitted a deep link to a site that was nothing but a header & footer of the rest of my site, but only duplicate content in the middle editors would laugh at it. heck, in most instances they would even laugh at it just being a deeplink.

The ODP is corrupt from the TOP down, and those lower from the top do nothing but claim there is no corruption, even though the stench of corruption if all over them....and again, just because its from the SUITS does not justify or change the fact there are guidelines broken, guidelines that everyone else needs to follow.

If paid links are OK, who do I contact to get the rest of my sites listed? Last I looked, there was no BUY YOUR ODP LINK HERE link on the site, just a bunch of editors and guidelines saying that's simply NOT ok.

8. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    @Q: I'm not aware that the Topix links were paid ones. Perhaps you could explain why you think they were.

jimnoble, Jun 5, 2012 IP
  9. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Sorry, must have misread your post...

10. wythermostat

wythermostat Peon

Best Answers:
    I tried to submit my site: www.wythermostat.com to Dmoz, but there is no any response. I am sure the directory is correct and there are some of our competitors listed there. However, I just cannot get listed. What's the reason? Our site is much better than many of the competitors sites listed there.

wythermostat, Jun 5, 2012 IP
  11. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    @wythermostat: In defiance of the submission guidelines that you agreed, you suggested your website twice - just two weeks ago and then again last week. Don't do it any more.

You might have misunderstood our objectives and how we operate here. ODP is a volunteer organisation building a directory as a hobby. Editors edit where they wish, when they wish and as much as they wish within the constraints of their permissions. We have no schedules or systems to force people to do work that they don't volunteer to do. ODP is not primarily a free listing service for website owners and it does not attempt to process their listing suggestions within the time scales desired by them.

Some volunteer will process your listing suggestion in time but we can't predict who or when that might be. Elapsed times can range from a few days to a few years. There is no need to re-suggest your website and doing so could be counter-productive because a later suggestion overwrites any earlier one.

If you take the trouble to read the sticky thread at the top of this forum, you'll find more detailed information.

jimnoble, Jun 6, 2012 IP
  12. earljohny3

earljohny3 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Why only DMOZ? why not you all try some other directories?

I added my company's website in more then 50+ directories.

earljohny3, Jun 6, 2012 IP
  13. wythermostat

wythermostat Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your thorough explanation. Since there was no any response, I had thought my submission did not reach the editor. Now I understand that we can not do anything else except waiting for the editor's approval. Right? It seems we can do nothing to shorten the approval time. Whatever, thank you for your time and reply.

wythermostat, Jun 6, 2012 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  14. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    When you suggested your website, the final screen of the transaction said:
    Was that not clear enough?

jimnoble, Jun 6, 2012 IP
  15. ksb2050

ksb2050 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Proof? Good lord it's all over the internet and this forum. Try paying attention. No..a DMOZ Bot wont take it serious even if it was spelled out in huge letters in the sky. I'm not trying to convince you...I'm trying to help others. Forget DMOZ, focus on real SEO.

ksb2050, Jun 7, 2012 IP
  16. photofox

photofox Active Member

Best Answers:
    Surely you are not saying that everything on the internet and on this forum is 100% accurate?? There is so much mis-information on the web and particularly on this forum with regard to DMOZ. Perhaps you should pay a little less attention to the garbage and focus on the information from those who are actually involved in the project (not those who have been removed for abusive editing, or those who just like to argue for the sake of arguing, or those who generally don't know what they are talking about).

If someone has evidence of abusive editing, please sent it to me in a PM, I will make sure it is fully investigated and if there is sufficient proof, the associated editor will be removed from the project. Accusations of abusive editing are taken very seriously. Simple as that.

I'm not trying to convince you... I'm trying to make sure others have accurate information. :)

photofox, Jun 8, 2012 IP