1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Anyone upgraded to 4.2?

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by giorgioarmani, May 23, 2012.

What do you think of the new activity feed?

It's been something the community has requested for years (do a quick Google search and see the threads!)...

Now its here... Is it all that? Has it hit the nail on the head? What's your opinion?

Shawn, I'd like to hear your opinion... What would it do to DP?

giorgioarmani, May 23, 2012 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I'm not terribly impressed with the activity feed myself... It's just not solving a problem I have I guess. For viewing realtime activity, I still prefer the Spy I made:

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/spy.php

Some of the other stuff in 4.2 is okay... but nothing that really excites me.

digitalpoint, May 23, 2012 IP
  3. Shazz

Shazz Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    seconded. They have all of Paul M's modifications built-in, nice for users that are new to vB.
    The templates that were modified may take some time if you have a heavily modified skin. (that goes for any upgrade of course)

No new additions just changes of features.

If you are already on vB 4 just hold for the near term and wait for the next release.

Shazz, May 23, 2012 IP
  4. giorgioarmani

giorgioarmani Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ok I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. The Spy is definitely better - its clean and quick!

Well it was about time the activity feed came to vB but it could have been more user friendly... I've upgraded a few sites, will see how the users react...

giorgioarmani, May 23, 2012 IP
  5. mugzy

mugzy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Im concerned at the lack of support for older browser, a good percentage of my traffic uses now unsupported browsers.

mugzy, May 31, 2012 IP
  6. Imposter

Imposter Peon

Best Answers:
    It is good that the navbar can be modified now without editing code or using modifications.

But I do not find the activity feed useful. Is there a way to remove it from user profiles BTW?

Imposter, May 31, 2012 IP
  7. TasteOfPower

TasteOfPower Peon

Best Answers:
    yes i did. took me about 3 hours. it sucks. vbulletin sucks. internet brands sucks.

in this day and time...if vb doesnt clean up their act, they will get put out of the top spot. im confident that there is a comparable board out there for cheaper. maybe there wasnt years ago, but now there should be. AND the people at wordpress are doing extra good...if they would make a forum...a GOOD ONE...im sure people would jump on it.

o and i hate vbulletin code with a passion. after all these years i never learned how to make a plugin. i have made plugins for socialengine and im sure it would only take 5 minutes to learn how to make one for wordpress. but vbulletin? fuck that. ill never upgrade my vb site again. and i should sell my license. i would if i could downgrade my site back to 3.8.

the #1 reason im going to leave vb soon as i can though....is that its extremely overpriced. EXTREMELY!!!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
    TasteOfPower, Jun 27, 2012 IP
  8. Imposter

Imposter Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree. But vBulletin is still the best forum platform that is available on the internet I think.

Imposter, Jun 27, 2012 IP
  9. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I've upgraded a dozen clients sites to 4.2 and none of them have been impressed with the current activity feed.

Brandon Sheley, Jun 27, 2012 IP
  10. TasteOfPower

TasteOfPower Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow! I see that IPB is $175 now too! Amazing.

The reason I feel that vb is so overpriced is b/c, even to xfer the license you have to renew. That shit is crazy. Thats why you get a email address specific for your board, and you can transfer it anytime.

Yes that activity feed suck ass. What the hell is the got damn point? Instead of adding new shit, they need to be focused on making it fast. Let me find a forum that blazing fast! It would be worth every bit of the $175. Now I suppose I could make it faster with hardware, but shit...why do that if they can make it faster on their end?

TasteOfPower, Jun 27, 2012 IP
  11. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You generally have to have an active license for any script if you want it transferred.
    I believe this is true with IPB, but then again, last time I tried to transfer my IPB license I had to transfer my WHOLE ACCOUNT.. that was ridiculous.
    I can find several vbulletin 4.x forums that are very VERY fast, less then 500 ms..
    The forum is fast, adding 20 crappy mods/hacks will definitely slow it down.

Brandon Sheley, Jun 28, 2012 IP
  12. Unified-PHP

Unified-PHP Peon

Best Answers:
    Go with MyBB. Free, fast, secure, stable.

vB is bloat. Bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat.

Unified-PHP, Jun 28, 2012 IP
  13. Hostname.club

Hostname.club Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yes, vote for MyBB open source!!!

Hostname.club, Jul 10, 2012 IP