1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Tips for a directory...

Discussion in 'Directories' started by fordP, Nov 17, 2006.

I have a client who's pagerank went from a 6 to a 4, so we are exploring ways to improve his pagerank. He wants to do a directory at http://directory.hisurl.com to bring up the sites linking to his. The site has been around for over 10 years so the directory isn't going to just go away next week, it will be there forever. I have a couple questions, though...

Will people mind having his normal pages navigation still at the top, or should I make it stand alone with just some links to his homepage at the bottom?

At what pagerank for the directory can I make it reciprocal link only, or should there always be a non-reciprocal free link?

Do you think a directory is a good idea for improving the pagerank? Another thing we are going to do for the search engines is create a blog for his site, to add some more content/crawlable pages. He has some good stuff to write about, so hopefully people will link to his blog. What do you guys think? Any tips/suggestions?

Oh, and when installing phpLD 2, the install page is blank? Any other good pieces of directory software out there?

fordP, Nov 17, 2006 IP
  2. Seiya

Seiya Peon

Best Answers:
    I dont htink a directory is a good idae to improve pagerank... at least i never go for reciprocals in directories ...

Seiya, Nov 17, 2006 IP
  3. manish

manish Peon

Best Answers:
    I will suggest get quality incoming links from article directories.

manish, Nov 18, 2006 IP
  4. rehash

rehash Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    reciprocal directory is not a good idea

rehash, Nov 18, 2006 IP
  5. akashif

akashif Guest

Best Answers:
    reciprocal directories are use less. and also directory may not improve your PR. so batter invest some $$ for paid links select some renouned and High PR directories . and start blogging and article submissions.
    but be carefull in all above select remouned and varified directories and blogs.
    else waste of mony

akashif, Nov 18, 2006 IP
  6. fordP

fordP Peon

Best Answers:
    Yea the client wants to do it regardless as one of his competitors does it. I think the blog is going to be the best bet for getting some deeper +PR pages. The main thing about the directory will be having more indexable pages, never hurts. It will most likely be free with reciprocal option, and then maybe go paid?

As far as directory software, phpLD wont install... PHP is running on the server just fine, but the install page is still blank. Permissions are correct and everything. :(

fordP, Nov 18, 2006 IP
  7. Providence

Providence Peon

Best Answers:
    you can ask from the phpld forums

You can also try some other scripts there. One nice script is the one in my signature.

Providence, Nov 19, 2006 IP
  8. owner-lou

owner-lou Guest

Best Answers:
    dont do reciprocal links on a directory! not a good idear!

owner-lou, Nov 19, 2006 IP
  9. Antonio

Antonio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Agree.

You have got high pr and should check reciprocal links from time to time.

Antonio, Nov 19, 2006 IP
  10. Money-Power-Respect

Money-Power-Respect Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, reciprocal directory is not a good idea!

Money-Power-Respect, Nov 19, 2006 IP
  11. rosiee007

rosiee007 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hi fordP. We're in a similar situation like this these days. Have a look at this site and its link directory, which offers reciprocal links.

I think having the same look and feel will be a good option. Promoting the site through other directory submissions, article writing and blogs etc will always be needed to boost the PR. Reciprocal links alone won't help much.

rosiee007, Nov 20, 2006 IP
    deluxdon likes this.
  12. SpotWeb

SpotWeb Peon

Best Answers:
    Blogging would be a good idea. Hiring bloggers to blog about the site would be much more beneficial.

SpotWeb, Nov 20, 2006 IP
    Providence likes this.