1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Racist? "Indians Only..."

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by recraig2, Aug 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. recraig2

recraig2 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You are right that those posts should likewise mention the particular skills they are looking for, rather than limiting it to certain nationalities. But then, that has been said a couple of times here already.

Yeah, see, you didn't even read the posts. Probably, you read one or two, made a snap judgment and wrote this. Otherwise, you would simply agree with me and say that it applies to ad posters for "U.S./UK Only" as well. You misunderstood this as some sort of Indian bashing. I am not trying to antagonize you, but just asking you to read the posts before writing a reply, because we all have written these in participating in this thread. That takes time and many of us are careful about what we have said and how we have said it. It's just basic mutual respect, like how I respect your opinion about "U.S./UK" examples.

THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT BASHING INDIANS!

It is about asking ad posters to post skills, qualifications, and conditions, rather than racial demands or even demands for certain nationalities. It is a ridiculous assumption that this thread is to express anger toward Indians. There has been no criticism of any Indians on this thread. Actually, there have been only positive statements made about Indians, in particular by me. So if you are Indian and taking offense at me, think twice before attacking me. You are hurting someone who has respect and a positive attitude toward your countrymen. Do you want to assault someone like this?

So why should some individuals assume that there has been bashing of Indians here? Because of the title? This is a faulty assumption. Anyone could post an ad looking for Indians Only. As many have said, it could be for cheap labor. That should insult an Indian more than saying this kind of ad title is racist. The ad title like this is equally likely made by a non-Indian as an Indian. So taking offense at criticizing it, because you think it is Indian bashing, is a knee jerk reaction. Think twice.

This part is not directed to "confused_freelancer", but to others who know who they are: If anyone harasses me, I will report them to the Admin. I don't care if you are white supremacists (like a couple of posters who boldly proclaimed themselves to be) or patriotic Americans or patriotic Indians. Harassment is against the terms of the forum. Expressing an opinion is one thing, but when it is an opinion about an individual and directed to insult them, antagonize them, etc... you might want to think twice before hitting that submit button.

recraig2, Oct 4, 2011 IP
  2. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    ahaha, Craig. you are still debating this! Jeez, I wish you were a member at my forum. You'd give everyone a run for their money.

This topic has gone so deep its making me laugh. You all can circle all you want and complex the discussion, but in reality you are only being racist if you are discriminating another race or lifting only one race because of where they are from, what they look like, etc. If there is a good reason then its not racist.

Example: I've never dated a black guy, nor would it interest me. Its not because I don't like black people, its just many of the general features of a black man is just not my taste.
    Was that racist? Of course not. Its a matter of taste.

How about this. I would never date anyone from the UK because I find that people from the UK are very difficult, cause trouble, and are hard to get along with.
    THAT was racist!:)

Laceygirl, Oct 4, 2011 IP
  3. sanonyp

sanonyp Peon

Best Answers:
    I am not an Indian but I think there may be some reason for wanting "Indian only". Indians suffered racism in the west (in the past) so I guess --as they are the future power of world, they are taking some kinda revenge...lol.

I thought people in the west are positive thinkers so why not take this thing positively and neglect it.

I am not a native English speaker, but a "non-native" English speaker can write as good as or even better English than those called as "natives". If you believe that "only Indians" is racism than "only native English speaker" is racism too.

Be OPTIMISTIC!

sanonyp, Oct 4, 2011 IP
  4. recraig2

Best Answers:
    You may be right that India may turn out to be the next world super power. We will have to wait to see. It is still a presumption on your part, regardless of what you are. The fault in your logic, though, is that native English speaker is about language only, not race at all. So it cannot be racist.

Also, your use of English fails to drive your point home that non-natives write better English than natives. "Neglect" is the wrong word choice for what you are trying to say - "drop" is.

As for you repeated cry for optimism, I fail to see what that has to do with anything at all in this. Optimistic about what, and why? Perhaps it is another faulty word choice. It is hard to read minds.

recraig2, Oct 13, 2011 IP
  5. recraig2

Best Answers:
    What forum might that be?

recraig2, Oct 13, 2011 IP
  6. richardtorrents

richardtorrents Member

Best Answers:
    Racism has nothing to do with it. Seriously, why would it be racist? Think about it.

richardtorrents, Nov 27, 2011 IP
  7. recraig2

Best Answers:
    Well, obviously (Richardtorrents) you are just trying to get your signature link on a busy thread. You have not thought about the topic, nor offered anything additional to the conversation. Racism is discriminating against other races or showing preferences to one race over others. Now tell me how it is not racist?

recraig2, Apr 15, 2012 IP
  8. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    This thread has gone into some strange places,but it was predicatable. It's so long I was unable to read it all and skimmed through it.
    I believe wanting to hire "Indians only" has to do with convenient assessability to Indian banks,and needing someone who can write with knowledge on Indian issues,and also write in English/Hindi.
    Racism?......I don't think so.

Spoiltdiva, Apr 15, 2012 IP
  9. recraig2

Best Answers:
    Believe whatever you want, but that is not what was said. "Indians only" says nothing about banks or language at all. It says only about race. There are Indians living in America who were born and raised there. They have neither one, yet they are still Indians. There are non-Indians in India with bank accounts in Indian banks and even know the "issues" because they live there. I know a Ukrainian couple who are in that situation in India. I say this because everyone of you who make these assumptions are racist. You show your true colors by IMPLYING that only ethnic Indians can fit this bill. It is hilariously sad.

recraig2, Apr 15, 2012 IP
  10. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    @recraig2
    Ever contemplate switching to decaffe? :)

Spoiltdiva, Apr 15, 2012 IP
  11. ContentVisionz

ContentVisionz Peon

Best Answers:
    I feel it's nothing about racism.. It always depends on how an individual look upon it...;)

ContentVisionz, Apr 17, 2012 IP
  12. adiiforu

adiiforu Peon

Best Answers:
    First of all let me make this clear, India is a nation not a race, so asking for 'Indians only' means everyone residing in India, which includes about 14 different religions and more than 54 language speaking people. I think you are a racist cause the only thing you saw in the ad was Indians only and jumped to conclusion that the person was racist. Even all of the above post try to convince you that it wasn't racist and you still want to be one track minded nut. And if "Indians only" is racist than CIA is racist too cause CIA accepts applications form US citizens only what is your justification about that?

PS: Sorry for the harsh words, you are not a nut or a racist.

adiiforu, Apr 17, 2012 IP
  13. Knocks

Knocks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Life's too short to get mad at stuff like this

Knocks, Apr 20, 2012 IP
  14. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Um yeah. that's not true. Everyone uses paypal. There's no bank transfer reasons. I also doubt it has nothing to with writing for a certain niche that has only do to with Indian issues. rarely maybe, but for the most part its because Indians want to support only indians but they feel that its totally cool to borrow a USA website to do that. :)

Laceygirl, Apr 20, 2012 IP
  15. Benleem

Benleem Active Member

Best Answers:
    There are Indians in Kenya, South Africa, Peru, USA, Spain, Haijerkistan etc. By asking for "Indians Only", it does not necessarily mean those in India but a people identified as Indians. Racist to me, since an Indian in Uganda, who has an Indian Bank account, can speak Hindi, understands the Indian culture and situation is also targeted by those two racist words. Yet I could have an Indian bank account, speak and write fluent Hindi and understand the Indian culture and situation but still fail to make the "Indians Only" tag because I'm not a typical Indian. Yet most Indians are not racist; I work for them and have wonderful clients who pay well. Great friends too.

Benleem, May 7, 2012 IP
  16. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    He's not talking about trying to find someone from the same region or bank account.

He's talking about people who only want to hire indians because they are indians.
    Is that racist?

Laceygirl, May 7, 2012 IP
  17. bob kelly

bob kelly Peon

Best Answers:
    Believe whatever you want..? May I ask what kind of reply is this? In a discussion, you can't just ignore one's thought. Don't you know that? Also, what kind of "issues" are you mentioning about? (I think you want this discussion to get directed to where you want it to be)

Yet, I didn't believe that this useless discussion would make this far! Why don't you people just get off from this?

It is very clear that the OP is not ready to take up other's explanations, instead he is just sticking to what he had stated. After all these explanations, one would atleast try to re-think on what 'context' would that person might have started that thread. But the OP is not ready take up anything. I don't know what he is expecting. If at all, he was expecting an explanation it has been provided already by various members.

Everyone might know that in the west they discriminate people by calling them 'Indian'. And the OP is just doing the same here. He is just repeatedly mentioning the same. So, what would you call this? And what would you call a person doing this?

Definitely not. This explanation has been provided many times in this thread. I am giving it again. Most people refer to the people in/from India as Indians. It just an abbreviation of 'people in/from India'. Why don't you guys understand this?

'Indian' - this has become a very common word to refer 'people in/from India' rather than a word referring to a race. And in India, people just use this casually.

But only the people in the west/east use it to show their agony (for discriminating people). This is a fact. And you cannot deny it. And this is what is happening here.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2016
    bob kelly, May 7, 2012 IP
  18. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I understand that totally. Did you think that I was talking about Spear chucking? I was talking about India Indians.
    What you are saying is totally off the point I was trying to make.

Making topics such as Only Black people allowed is racist unless you need information that only black people have. If an Indian is looking for only another Indian because he wants to only work with his own kind that is RACIST. If he needs someone with information that only India people have than its not racist.
    Understand?

Laceygirl, May 7, 2012 IP
  19. bob kelly

bob kelly Peon

Best Answers:
    So, why don't you take it like he might have needed a particular information that only people in India can provide? Will you be able to provide a detailed description about 'Maha Shivarathri', 'Diwali' or 'Ganesh Jayanthi'? (without referring to wiki). People from India can write pages about that using their personal experiences.
    Also when you are starting a thread you can't explain everything there. In order to sort the applications, he have used a commonly used phrase 'Indian' to refer 'people in/from India'. You don't seem to understand this.
    So obviously, that guy might have needed people only from India (may be for many reasons and I have given an example above).
    This is it. If you don't seem to understand this, then it clearly shows that you being narrow minded.

bob kelly, May 8, 2012 IP
  20. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You are doing it again......running circles around the whole point for no reason at all.
    Ok, so clearly you agree that it is NOT racist to look for someone of a certain race if there is a good reason.
    Who cares if the term is correct or not. that's not the point. Just listen to the point.
    Lets pretend that he didn't have a good reason like you mentioned above. Let's pretend that he only wants to share his money, info, and conversations with only others of the same racist, and avoid other races so he made that topic like that.
    I'm curious. Do you think that example is racist?

Last edited: May 8, 2012
    Laceygirl, May 8, 2012 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.