1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Health Writer For Hire

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by wordscientist, Nov 14, 2006.

Greetings! I'm a dedicated researcher who has written more than 50 consumer-oriented articles for a variety of websites.

While I write on a variety of topics, the majority of my work focuses on health and fitness. Prior to freelancing, I worked as a personal trainer/sales associate for a gym and as a weight training class instructor for a community college.

My rate is five cents per word, and slightly higher for topics requiring in-depth research.

Bulk orders (10+ articles) get a 20% discount.

PM me today for samples, and please include the subject(s) you're seeking.

wordscientist, Nov 14, 2006 IP
  2. gr8liverpoolfan

gr8liverpoolfan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Just my 0.02...very few webmasters on DP will pay 5 cents a word :)
    I know it may be appropriate for the amount of work you put in, but just a reminder :)

Best of luck..

gr8liverpoolfan, Nov 14, 2006 IP
  3. wordscientist

wordscientist Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I know it's a stretch on DP, but I'm hoping someone here will value quality content.

Thanks for your thoughts.

4. simplexity

simplexity Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I am always looking for high quality work.
    Please PM me samples as I may have a long term job for you.
    I need articles on General Health and also a couple of specific ones, but first I need to see high quality samples.

Thanks

simplexity, Nov 14, 2006 IP
  5. wordscientist

wordscientist Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    PM has been sent.

6. DeniseJ

DeniseJ Live, Laugh, Love

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Very few will pay .05 cents a word, but I've found a few webmasters here that are willing to pay MY rates -- and they are higher than wordscientist's. The majority of webmasters here seem only to want as much content as they can get without a second thought towards the quality of that content. However, professional writers deliver quality content and deserve to be compensated fairly for that.

Clients who care more about quality than price can be found, it's just a matter of networking, researching and not selling out.

DeniseJ, Nov 15, 2006 IP
  7. wordscientist

wordscientist Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I wonder how well it works out for these webmasters who pay for quantity rather than quality. I know, personally, if I'm searching for information and click on a site containing content with misspellings and incomplete sentences, I quickly click away from that site. Exactly what do these el-cheap-o webmasters hope to gain by displaying low-quality content?

wordscientist, Nov 16, 2006 IP
  8. MafiaMaster

MafiaMaster Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    The thing is, some people write high-quality content for low prices. For example, when I first started doing freelance writing, I charged $5.00 for a 1000 word article. For me, I was so excited because I was good at writing and I got $5.00. Now I know that I could make a lot more and I do. However, the point that I bring across is that when I wrote for that cheap, I still took the time to write high-quality content. Just because something is cheap doesn't mean it is bad. However, as a writer, I have increased my prices and I have no problem saying 'no, I won't write for you' if someone offers me a cheap price. Good luck, wordscientist.

MafiaMaster, Nov 16, 2006 IP
  9. YahDude

YahDude Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    People clicking the first ad they can to run from your site...lol. As much as I wish I could hire you to write 50 articles for me, I really can't afford it...but the day I actually start producing an income I will come running for HIGH quality writers like this. Good luck with your work, but I'm sure your getting good jobs from those webmasters that know good content is king.

YahDude, Nov 16, 2006 IP
  10. DeniseJ

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    You're right, Mafia. There are always exceptions to the rule -- in this case, writers who accept ridiculously low wages don't NECESSARILY write poor content. However, a lot of people do find out that they get what they pay for when it comes to quality content -- and some people just don't care.

Don't get me wrong; webmasters who pay ridiculously low wages anger me. But writers who accept those wages upset me more, simply because there are so many resources out there that show writers they DON'T have to accept those crummy jobs.

DeniseJ, Nov 16, 2006 IP
  11. wordscientist

wordscientist Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Denise, your post brings me to my next question: why do writers accept sub-standard wages?

I hear a lot of flack about how writers from countries such as India and China are the ones bringing online writing rates down because, for them, $1 can mean an entire day's wage (or something to that effect).

But, if this is really true, why didn't these writers demand the going rate already in place? An online employer doesn't have to know where a writer is from, do they?

Thinking about it further, I wonder what is the percentage of foreign webmasters? Could it be that some webmasters can't afford American rates because the economies of their countries are not even with America's?

Gee, can you tell I'm pretty new to this online writing world?

wordscientist, Nov 16, 2006 IP
  12. DeniseJ

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    It's hard to say why writers accept sub-standard wages. A lot of beginning writers don't realize what professional rates actually are, join a forum like this, and believe that .01 cent a word is the industry standard. Some "writers" are not actually writers at all, but just people trying to make a quick buck and write content on the side as a hobby. They don't care about professional rates, because they can churn out 100 formulaic articles on the same keyword and be happy.

Referring to what you said, their are a lot of foreign writers who take what they can get because wages work differently in their country. However, if their English is comparable to that of a Native speaker they are selling themselves short.

Basically, if you are serious about making a career out of writing, then you don't need to worry about the rates people on DP or other forums charge -- they are not your competition. There are always people willing to pay for quality content and know how much it costs. You just have to look for them!

DeniseJ, Nov 16, 2006 IP
  13. clear

clear Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I have to agree with Denise here. The Internet has opened up so many opportunities for writers the world over, but writers from India or China or even Asian countries per se are really unaware of the amont that they can charge for their musings.

From personal experience I can say that the hourly wage system was a confounding one for me until I was able to come to grips with it. I can understand the angst among other US-based writers that they are being out bid on projects by writers charging sub-standard wages, but the fact of the matter is that no one is aware of standardized wages. For example Denise's idea of a decent hourly wage may not be mine or even wordscientists's.

On DP I have learnt a lot, especially the importance of placing a good value on my writing. I have a suggestion. Can we get together and discuss, through these forums or any other medium, some sort of a range of standard wages for writers?

I am sure everyone will benefit in the long run. Of course that is not going to prevent others from charging miserly rates, but at least they'll know what they are missing:) :rolleyes:

clear, Nov 17, 2006 IP
  14. DeniseJ

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Clear, as a matter of fact a group of four other writers and myself have set up a forum where we can discuss writing rates and how writers can find higher paying assignments elsewhere. It's actually quite informative so far; it's a new forum, but you should check it out. It's the first link in my signature.

DeniseJ, Nov 17, 2006 IP
  15. ichigo

ichigo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 1
    pm me details. ex of your work and proce for 10 articles ( the cheapest as possible) thanks. :)

ichigo, Nov 17, 2006 IP
  16. qwestcommunications

qwestcommunications Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Its all to do with expectations. A writer in India or Romania (who often charge low rates) will be very happy with $6/7 for a 500 word article because that would represent a fairly (very) good wage in those countries. However, its important to find writers that are genuine and produce high quality, original work and not merely reword articles.

qwestcommunications, Nov 17, 2006 IP
  17. qwestcommunications

qwestcommunications Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Yes, but the question is, where to find people/companies that will pay the rates you are suggesting. I doubt if they will get those rates here.

qwestcommunications, Nov 17, 2006 IP
  18. DeniseJ

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    It's rare to find decent rates on DP, but it can be done. I've found several long and short-term assignments here that were willing to pay my rates. However, that's why you don't see me openly advertising my services on DP, beyond a sig mention. It's not worth it to me to advertise when I get higher paying jobs elsewhere. Then, if someone here contacts me about my work and is accepting of my rates, that's an added bonus for me.

DeniseJ, Nov 17, 2006 IP
  19. wordscientist

wordscientist Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    A PM has been sent.

wordscientist, Nov 17, 2006 IP
  20. wordscientist

wordscientist Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Clear, I second Denise's suggestion of heading over to the AllFreelancing forum. It's still in its infancy stage, but already looks like a promising venue for writers.

wordscientist, Nov 17, 2006 IP