1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

number 1 site for 5 years now dropped down to 7

Discussion in 'SEO' started by tyankee, Apr 25, 2012.

i have had the number 1 ranked site on google for 'mustangs for sale' and 'mustang for sale' for the past 5+ years and yesterday the one dropped to #7 and the 'mustang for sale' dropped to page 5.

I know google is changing their algorithm constantly but we should be well positioned with more backlinks, more social media presence, better alexa ranking, more traffic and more branding than any other mustang site.. any one got any ideas.. http://www.mustangtraderonline.com

tyankee, Apr 25, 2012 IP
  2. jonathon

jonathon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Your right about Google changing it's algorithms i had number one spot on Underground Horror Movies in Google since
    1998, three or four years ago i lost that to some startup, buying a crap load of links everywhere and as of today i am now down to seventh.

It's like Google is forcing sites down unless you find a crapload of new weblinks each week.

jonathon, Apr 25, 2012 IP
  3. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    ryan_uk, Apr 25, 2012 IP
  4. tyankee

tyankee Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

it doesn't seem to bee about backlinks any more though as a few older personal looking sites are now ranked higher

tyankee, Apr 25, 2012 IP
  5. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    Actually, I just looked at your site and it's probably dropped in rank due to the repeated words.

You have a lot of similar text repeated:

"Buy and sell new or used Mustang Shelbys and Mustang Shelby Classifieds."

Where Shelbys is replaced with another word.

Also the text at the bottom of the page too. How many times do you need to write Mustang? The same for the second paragraph.

Your page is a bit keyword stuffed, really, and this is what the new update is designed to combat. Try rewriting these parts of your site so there's less on page repetition and more uniqueness.

ryan_uk, Apr 25, 2012 IP
  6. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm sorry to be the one to tell you my theory, but I'm fairly sure that google sells top keywords like that to corporations.
    I know many don't believe me but every year more and more corporations are taking over.

On the bright side, but made a million dollars at least so don't cry too badly(even with your horrid adsense placement).

Laceygirl, Apr 25, 2012 IP
  7. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    Google sells keywords with Adwords, so you're not exactly paranoid. But it's not for organic results. If so, it would be big news across major (not the paranoid Black Hat ones) SEO news sites by now.

ryan_uk, Apr 25, 2012 IP
  8. tyankee

Best Answers:
    thanks.. good articles.. but still confused as http://mustangtraderonline.com is not spamming (i don't think) as we only list mustangs for sale.. if anyone can see anything spammy about that site, please let me know..

tyankee, Apr 25, 2012 IP
  9. tyankee

Best Answers:

thanks for all the great points..

tyankee, Apr 25, 2012 IP
  10. tyankee

Best Answers:
    who made a million dollars???? and please help me with the adsense placement - why do you think it's horrid?

tyankee, Apr 25, 2012 IP
  11. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No google sells keywords that will show advertisements in sites ranking for the keyword.

I'm actually talking about google selling search engine results/rankings.

YOU MADE MILLIONS. You said you were ranked 1st for years on "Mustangs for sale".
    That keyword would bring a hell of a lot of traffic and no doubt one amazing adsense pay per click.

I would be everytime I help someone they get all excited because they get a 5X profit return in a matter of days. They hand me $50 then they become rich. I've made so many people rich its annoying. I'm not helping another person get rich again. I can't even help myself.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  12. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    I know. You're paranoid about that, but not that the fact Google is in the keyword selling business, just wrong about the angle. :-P

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
    ryan_uk, Apr 25, 2012 IP
  13. tyankee

Best Answers:
    wow - sorry i asked.. and no, didn't make millions - not even close.. maybe i just don't know what i'm doing.. but i do think that with 10,000 page views per day i should have made more.. sounds like you don't know what's wrong with my adsense - a simple answer would have been nice..

tyankee, Apr 25, 2012 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  14. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    I had adblocker enabled before, so I didn't see the ads. Actually, the Google ads are showing (for me) SEO related adverts. Except for the link units. You have far too many ads on there, too. Also, you should add rel="nofollow" to the Clickbank link. Do the same for any affiliate links.

If you don't already use custom channels for each ad, start doing now and establish which positions are performing best.

Good luck, mate. I think with changes to the text and toning it down on the ads you will improve your rank.

ryan_uk, Apr 25, 2012 IP
  15. Ramsesx

Ramsesx Active Member

Best Answers:
    Like Ryan said, too much keyword spam, every fourth word is Mustang. Four times in the page title tag. The red footer bar is kind of crap.

Ramsesx, Apr 25, 2012 IP
  16. tyankee

Best Answers:
    thanks... i like the footer bar - maybe a different color?? it has all the links to our social sites..

tyankee, Apr 25, 2012 IP
  17. tyankee

Best Answers:

You have far too many ads on there
    do you mean adsense ads??

tyankee, Apr 25, 2012 IP
  18. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There's plenty of people who will spoon feed you a bunch of suggestions here. Use their ideas.

19. tyankee

Best Answers:
    yeah but you said you KNEW where to better place them and that makes me curious.

tyankee, Apr 25, 2012 IP
  20. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    Ads in general. (Adsense, Clickbank and whatever else you're running.) I don't mean the car ads.

ryan_uk, Apr 25, 2012 IP