1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My hosting plan expires on 27th...

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by wampyra, Apr 17, 2012.

...And I'm looking into what's a best solution to go with.
    I'm on iPages currently... They seemed as a great deal at the moment... Unlimited bandwidths, unlimited space.... Only 50 bucks for a year.... But now they're charging like 150 bucks for essential plan. Per year...
    I'm low on time to do complete research at the moment and thought of asking for some hints from folks that are experience in this area of interest... YOU GUYS.

So yea... Do you recommend staying with them, or canceling and transferring to another hosting company.
    Unlimited storage is important. I'm planing of building really demanding site, so I don't wanna be bothered with size of things I put on.
    E-mail accounts are a must.I already have some on my domain and I'm not sure if they'll stay the way they are even after the transfer.
    Is domain affected with a hosting company change? Blog? Any other scripts installed via their CP?
    What else? I don't need their control panels and stuff, just ftp server....

I hoe for your support during this time I'm looking into solutions.

P.S. Sorry about my English. It's not my mother tongue, so bear with me... Thanks! :)

wampyra, Apr 17, 2012 IP
  2. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    First of all, you need to come up with some realistic requirements. There is no such thing as "unlimited" storage. For the $5/mo. you're currently paying, a host is going to keep adding $200 hard drives to the server just for you? And what happens when they can't add more drives? They'll provision a new dedicated server just for you?

Come up with some realistic requirements and find a host that fulfills them.

WSWD, Apr 17, 2012 IP
  3. wampyra

wampyra Peon

Best Answers:
    I wasn't saying that i'm looking for free hosting or as cheap one as this one has been. I'm only asking for some suggestions as far as other hosting companies go, considering my requirements. And some info about what happens during transfer of a domain.
    My requirements are realistic. I know there isn't unlimited anything. That's why I have placed it in emphasis.

wampyra, Apr 17, 2012 IP
  4. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, you specifically said, "Unlimited storage is important". Which is it? Is it important or not? Like I said, you need to come up with realistic disk space requirements before anyone can recommend hosting plans to you. Do you need 20GB of space, 50GB, 100GB, etc.?

As far as the domain, you should be able to log in to your account at your domain registrar, and simply change the current nameservers to your new host's nameservers. That will point your domain to your new server.

WSWD, Apr 17, 2012 IP
  5. wampyra

wampyra Peon

Best Answers:
    By unlimited I was more thinking of a solution where I could change the plan in case I'm going beyond what I have accepted in the beginning so anything goes. Currently, i'm taking up 200MB of space, so it seems silly to think about it, but like I said, I'll be working on a project which will give birth to some heavy monsters... So, in the next year i'm thinking like 50GB, next one more probably....

Hmm... I obtained the domain via iPage when i first registered with them. I just sent all info about it to my mail. Thanks for your help with this one.

I have another question as far as transfer goes. Even if I don't change the host, all the info I acquire now will serve me good in future.
    What happens to e-mails registered to the domain? I guess they stay, but are there any changes? Do they depend of the host? I hope you understand what I'm trying to ask xD

Sorry for my English once again....

wampyra, Apr 17, 2012 IP
  6. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Any host should be able to upgrade you to a higher plan at any time. There should be no downtime associated with that, etc. All of the sudden, your account quota will just be increased. So you shouldn't have any difficulties there.

The email addresses "should" be handled by the host, I'm guessing. Some domain registrars do offer email address hosting, but you would also have to be using their nameservers, their hosting, etc. So all your emails should be hosted currently at iPage. If you transfer hosting, those may or may not transfer to the new host.

I don't know if iPage uses cPanel (I'm guessing not). If they were, everything would transfer over to a new cPanel host. If they are using their own custom panel, or no panel at all, it's likely that the emails would need to be configured at your new host, and will not be transferred automatically.

Hope that helps, and your English is just fine. :D :D No problems understanding you at all.

WSWD, Apr 17, 2012 IP
  7. wampyra

wampyra Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, that means a lot...

Basically, i go under mail.ipage or mail.mysite and it gives me log in screen. I was guessing that will change if switched. So thank you for the info...

I don't know if iPage uses cPanel (I'm guessing not). If they were, everything would transfer over to a new cPanel host. If they are using their own custom panel, or no panel at all, it's likely that the emails would need to be configured at your new host, and will not be transferred automatically.[/QUOTE]
    It uses their own cp. It's similar to cPanel, but not as advanced in my opinion. i'll look more into the email thing once i decide to switch. For now, let's leave it to that.

phew! That's a release... I always feel like I'm talking in a way to say anything but what I want to say. :eek:
    And yes, it does help.

So, you believe this is a good deal for this kind of service?
    After all, I never had problems with the site being down or similar troubles. That's what counts the most i think...
    I would really appreciate your opinion.

wampyra, Apr 17, 2012 IP
  8. dlinchevskiy

dlinchevskiy Active Member

Best Answers:
    You need a dedicated server that get more traffic on demand.
    How much approximately traffic do you need per month ?

dlinchevskiy, Apr 18, 2012 IP
  9. MyLibary

MyLibary Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Great help WSWD, by the way your english is readable and understood.

Good luck!

MyLibary, Apr 18, 2012 IP
  10. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I HIGHLY doubt he is to the point of needing his own dedicated server. Just because that's the only thing you sell, you don't need to try to push your dedicateds in every single one of your posts here. That's ridiculous.

WSWD, Apr 18, 2012 IP
  11. vikramrandhawa

vikramrandhawa Peon

Best Answers:
    I would suggest you go with DHost. DHost is very supportable web hosting company. who providing 24*7 support with telephonic, live chat, ticket support etc.. DHost providing unlimited web hosting plans.
    1) One on One--Rs.2400 per year
    Where you can host
    1 Domain
    Unlimited Disk Space​
    Unlimited Bandwidth​
    Unlimited Databases​
    Unlimited Email Accounts​
    Google Apps
    (Free Setup)

2) All in one--Rs.4800 per year
    Where you can host
    Unlimited Domain
    Unlimited Disk Space​
    Unlimited Bandwidth​
    Unlimited Databases​
    Unlimited Email Accounts​
    Google Apps
    (Free Setup)

vikramrandhawa, Apr 20, 2012 IP
  12. rmcs0426

rmcs0426 Peon

Best Answers:
    I would suggest to move to a reputable unlimited webhosting provider. Out there are good ones too.

rmcs0426, Apr 20, 2012 IP
  13. war_machine

war_machine Active Member

Best Answers:
    I could not find any real unlimited provider. Could you inform me of one?

war_machine, Apr 21, 2012 IP
  14. rmcs0426

rmcs0426 Peon

Best Answers:
    Ask mr. google :0)

rmcs0426, Apr 22, 2012 IP
  15. war_machine

war_machine Active Member

Best Answers:
    I asked mr. google but real thing is so hard to find out.

war_machine, Apr 22, 2012 IP
  16. rmcs0426

rmcs0426 Peon

Best Answers:
    Reputable unlimited webhosting providers exist and not all are bad as others implied over here.

rmcs0426, Apr 22, 2012 IP
  17. StuartCRyan

StuartCRyan Peon

Best Answers:
    I would recommend you look at going with a reputable web host that can help you grow as you need. A decent web host will give you the ability to grow as you need over time. If you are looking at needed the aforementioned "unlimited" as others have mentioned here you pay with peanuts and you get monkeys so to speak. For example any company that offers unlimited for any amount is not going to be sustainable.

However finding a company that can offer you a decent amount of space and can add more as your site grows that is what you need. If you are able to provide us details of exactly how much storage and bandwidth you are using at the moment, and your expected growth over the next 3 months, 6 months, 12 months and 2 years then we can recommend something that would be specific to your needs.

Hope that helps.
    Stuart

StuartCRyan, Apr 23, 2012 IP
  18. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    ^^^ spot on dude.

Some reputable companies do offer unlimited, however your resources are not guaranteed, essentially in the bid for everything you can actually end up with nothing.
    Their TOS is often so restrictive that its not worth your time.

Be sure to check out for inode limits which is often more restrictive then a HDD / bandwidth limit.

Just about any unlimited host, will remove anyone that uses more resources then what they paid for.

Final thoughts about unlimited hosts.... Some hosts will put a 10mb unlimited connection to the server. They then pack the server with 2k-10k worth of sites, giving each site unlimited bandwidth. While yes, everyone has unlimited, the quality is so low that its useless.

matt_62, Apr 24, 2012 IP
  19. StuartCRyan

StuartCRyan Peon

Best Answers:
    hehe thank you :D

Very very true :) and sadly all too often I have seen it with providers that pop up offering insane unlimited or 1TB space + unlimited bandwidth... It is all about overselling, with shared hosting you are almost always going to have a service that is oversold, they expect that not everyone will use the 200GB space or 1TB bandwidth, however with a lot of the smaller places this is often poorly managed, and when things go wrong they really don't care and it is difficult to get support.

If you find yourself a good host (hey I will happily say Turnkey Internet haha it is plastered all over my blogs and the like) they manage the shared hosting appropriately and help out if/when someone else is impacting on all the other sites on the server.

Also make sure you go with something on a cPanel server (my preferred) as it means if you need to later move up to VPS or Dedicated it is infinitely easier and often the webhost will do it for free for you (as it is just that easy).

Anyhoo as mentioned if you can fill in the gaps I mentioned in my last post I am more than happy to point you in the right direction.
    Stuart

StuartCRyan, Apr 24, 2012 IP
  20. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Surely you're kidding. You talk right above about overselling and ridiculous resources. Have you even looked at Turnkey's plans? http://www.turnkeyinternet.net/web-hosting/

You think they can offer those resources at those prices without extreme overselling? If so, I think you need to re-examine your figures.

WSWD, Apr 24, 2012 IP