1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Question regarding hosting

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by BioSpherical, Apr 13, 2012.

Hi,

I have a question regarding hosting. Basically, I have a search-based website and on my current hosting the minimum allowed length of a search query is 4 characters. I'd like to be able to change this (perhaps allow 3 characters searches for example).

What would be the best way to do this? I've asked my current host about it but I assume if they won't change the setting I'll have to get a dedicated server or something? If this is the case, what are my options and which would be the most cost effective? Additionally, if I were to do this I'd like something easy to manage for beginners so again, what are the options?

Thanks!

BioSpherical, Apr 13, 2012 IP
  2. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The minimum search query in what? What exactly are you using to conduct the search. What exactly is the setting that is limiting you to 3 characters?

WSWD, Apr 13, 2012 IP
  3. BioSpherical

BioSpherical Active Member

Best Answers:
    The site runs on a MySQL database. So I believe it is a global MySQL setting which right now only allows search queries on MySQL databases to be 4 characters or more.

4. RHS-Chris

RHS-Chris Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hello there,

This sounds like it has to do with the script you are using for your site, not the host. Are you using a commercial script, or something custom?

Regards,
    Chris

RHS-Chris, Apr 13, 2012 IP
  5. BioSpherical

BioSpherical Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's a custom script. However apparently it is not the script, but rather a global MySQL setting or something (this is what my developer told me). But if you know something different let me know!

6. dlinchevskiy

dlinchevskiy Active Member

Best Answers:
    You may use cheap dedicated server just for DB to run out of limits.

dlinchevskiy, Apr 23, 2012 IP