1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Looking for a new host

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by powerbfore, Apr 12, 2012.

Hello, I'm looking for a new web host that has cPanel (I know most do, but just making sure).
    Also, an important factor: My site currently goes high process limit usage occasionally (which is why I'm moving from my old host. It can't really support my site anymore because it constantly reaches the max process limit). So I'm trying to look for a host that can allow the CPU to go over so it can handle us (I know some hosts can do/offer this).

powerbfore, Apr 12, 2012 IP
  2. heredia21

heredia21 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Upgrade to a VPS.

heredia21, Apr 12, 2012 IP
  3. powerbfore

powerbfore Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'm contemplating about it. It just really depends on price.

4. heredia21

heredia21 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How much traffic do you get? How much are you paying now?

heredia21, Apr 12, 2012 IP
  5. rmcs0426

rmcs0426 Peon

Best Answers:
    rmcs0426, Apr 12, 2012 IP
  6. powerbfore

powerbfore Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    We get hundreds of people daily. Sorry I don't have a number to put it on. google analytics has been weird on me lately. I'm paying about 8$ right now

7. dotcompals

dotcompals Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I can recommend servint.net's VPS hosting. I am using the same for the last 3 years. Excellent support and care is being given to each and every customer.

dotcompals, Apr 12, 2012 IP
  8. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is a major problem with that statement. Hosts that allow your site to use massive amounts of CPU, means that other sites on the server are potentially going to be affected negatively from your use. The reverse is also true. That same host, not limiting the CPU, means that any other site using exorbitant amounts of CPU is also going to affect YOUR site negatively. That's not the kind of host you want to be with.

As the others have mentioned, VPS is going to be your best bet, if your scripts are using large amounts of resources.

WSWD, Apr 12, 2012 IP
  9. tiffanywilliams12i2

tiffanywilliams12i2 Peon

Best Answers:
    just avoid unlimited hosts.

tiffanywilliams12i2, Apr 13, 2012 IP
  10. dlinchevskiy

dlinchevskiy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Whats your budget ? I think you should get dedicated server if you have problems with CPU.

dlinchevskiy, Apr 13, 2012 IP
  11. JPC-Sabrina

JPC-Sabrina Member

Best Answers:
    If you can triple what you are paying now then you can get into a good mananged VPS. At the current price that you mentioned you must be on shared and if you are going over your resource limit then you are dragging down all the users on that server which isn't really good at all. Consider that as a sign of success and make the move up to the next level. You might also want to think about Cloud. If you know you are going to have a spike then with Cloud you can scale your resources up or down as you need to.

JPC-Sabrina, Apr 13, 2012 IP
  12. alex_e

alex_e Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well it depends, you could just be on a rubbish shared server.
    But if your maxing out the cpu in a shared environment, id go for a vps

alex_e, Apr 14, 2012 IP
  13. RonBrown

RonBrown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm still not entirely sure why people are recommending a VPS as an "upgrade" to shared hosting without knowing the specifics of resource usage. A VPS is EXACTLY THE SAME as shared hosting in the respect that you're still sharing the underlying server hardware. Unless the host is using better servers for their VPS hosting than they are for their shared hosting, a VPS may not bring any improvements.

In fact, if the shared/VPS hardware is the same, the overhead of running multiple Operating Systems on the same hardware will have a negative impact, and since many users on a VPS will be "hard hitters" on resource usage (because they've followed the advice that you need to move to a VPS is you're using too many resources on shared hosting) then you could be moving from the frying pan into the fire and spending more for the priviledge.

Some VPS providers are well managed (but they probably manage their shared hosting well too) and will have good resource allocation tools, but given that some companies provide VPSs for prices not much more than shared hosting, I'd be dubious about what benefits you'd get - if any - by moving to a VPS. Not saying it isn't a solution, but you need to find out more about the problems you're having and explain them to the host you move to for their advice...they may recommend a low-end dedicated server as a better solution than a VPS.

RonBrown, Apr 15, 2012 IP
  14. janinjackson

janinjackson Peon

Best Answers:
    There are a few providers that get great reviews by customers here on WHT. Do a search for reviews.

If your sites are PHP/[FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]MySQL[/FONT][/FONT] sites, remember that each cPanel account receives it's own set of resource limits. So, if they get any amount of decent traffic, a reseller account is the better option. Plus they are individually secured from a hacker.

I am currently hosted with HawKHost and am happy with their service. Mike at MDDHosting has been very helpful to me, as well. They both have a great reputation here on WHT.

janinjackson, Apr 15, 2012 IP
  15. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    RonBrown...couldn't have said it better myself.

Everyone seems to just recommend VPS hosting these days (most of the people recommending them run VPS companies...what a shock), when in reality, normal shared hosting can be FAR more powerful and far more stable than many of the VPSs out there.

WSWD, Apr 15, 2012 IP
  16. um.

um. Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Whynot you try this best hosting.. Servers are in Singapore and Amsterdam, Europe.. just check there thread on https://t.co/S0XrqhPD

Payment methods:
    Paypal
    Alertpay
    Credit Card

1 package: VM-Lite
    Hard disk drive:Unlimited
    Monthly Bandwidth: Unlimited
    Money Back Guarantee. ANY TIME :)
    Other Free Goodies are on there sites..
    Price: $3.49 / Month

Coupon Code [5% OFF]: wwum.

More packages on there website..

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
    um., Apr 16, 2012 IP
  17. rmcs0426

rmcs0426 Peon

Best Answers:
    Other option is to try a coupon where you pay $1 for the first month. This way you also get the opportunity to test yourself the service then if you like it you sign permanently.

rmcs0426, Apr 16, 2012 IP
  18. no69_2007

no69_2007 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You might want to try a host who use cloudlinux on their servers and litespeed also.

cloudlinux will let you use cpu, and will not effect other users on the same server.

no69_2007, Apr 16, 2012 IP
  19. rmcs0426

rmcs0426 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, having Cloudlinux is a plus.

rmcs0426, Apr 16, 2012 IP
  20. ruzler

ruzler Banned

Best Answers:
    I recommend you b-webhost.com. They are offering fast resourceful web hosting for reasonable prices.

ruzler, Apr 19, 2012 IP