1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

[HELP] LSI articles in need! How to write LSI articles?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by tumichael, Mar 19, 2012.

Hi,
    I am in need of some LSI articles with keyword "Ipad 1". I intend to write LSI articles myself but find it difficult.
    Could u pls guide me how to write LSI articles effectively?
    Btw, who can offer the best price for LSI article (400-500 words)
    Thanks

tumichael, Mar 19, 2012 IP
  2. awundrin

awundrin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why don't you just 'google' it? You can hire writers in the 'content creation' forum.

awundrin, Mar 19, 2012 IP
  3. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I would advocate going to the source. It was "Bell Laboratories" that came up with the concept of latent semantic indexing in the first place. Simply bang off an e-mail to them,and I'm sure they would steer you in the right direction.
    Now if you're also interested in LSA,(latent semantic analysis) they could help you with this also.

Spoiltdiva, Mar 20, 2012 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  4. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    tumichael

LSI is not a legitimate SEO term. It is a way of analyzing large sets of documents. The SEO "gurus" latched onto the term some years ago and have used it as a marketing tool akin to the smoke, magic and mirrors used by all snake oil salesmen. Any SEO professional or writer who talks about LSI-compliant documents does not understand what they are talking about.

I had always suspected LSI as it related to SEO was garbage but this morning was the first time I bothered to research it. I'm glad you brought it up, it gave me a chance to learn something new. Hopefully, this thread will help others to avoid being scammed or misled.

Your posts this morning remind me of that Abraham Lincoln quotation..."'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt. "

Sure, the advanced mathematicians and computer scientists at whatever company now owns the former Bell Laboratories, are going to talk to some person who emails them about writing a few articles that "comply with LSI", a term that does not exist. The folks who invented and patented LSI did work at Bell Labs but most have moved on to academia.

Latent semantic analysis is "a technique in natural language processing, in particular in vectorial semantics, of analyzing relationships between a set of documents and the terms they contain by producing a set of concepts related to the documents and terms." according to Wikipedia. It is a subject that comes from the world of natural language and artificial intelligence. Check out the Wikipedia article and see the advanced math involved. Matrix theory is an advanced mathematics topic and it's doubtful that you could find a writer or SEO'er who actually knows how to run the calculations associated with LSI. It's included in many Computer Science degree programs but I doubt many grads remember how to do them - I certainly don't. And that also assumes that the math involved isn't beyond the typical linear algebra courses taught at the undergraduate level - which I suspect it is.

LSI, as it relates to SEO, has become one of those buzz words that people who "know" about SEO have latched onto to proclaim they have the secret sauce to writing the perfect content. Google did not invent it and may or may not use it's concepts in their algorithm. (At least one expert in the field thinks it would be impossible due to the amount of computing power that would be required.) Anyone proclaiming to write 'LSI compliant content' is either intentionally setting out to defraud you or is just mindlessly following the herd.

Because of the huge number of documents usually included in this type of analysis, one would have to modify every document being analyzed to impact the results. Good luck with determining the entire data set as well as hacking into each site and changing their content.

Don't take my word for it, check out the folks with the advanced degrees, who work in this field. I've included links to several of their articles on the subject.

References:

Wikipedia article on Latent semantic analysis
    SVD and LSI Tutorial 1: Understanding SVD and LSI
    There Is No Such Thing as LSI-Friendly Documents
    The LSI Myth

YMC, Mar 21, 2012 IP
  5. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @YMC
    "Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"-Abraham Lincoln.
    You ought to try and be a bit more affable.
    Bell Laboratories have a PR department,and "DO" welcome inquiries.

Spoiltdiva, Mar 21, 2012 IP
  6. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Most companies welcome inquiries but they don't generally provide access to their scientists - particularly on a topic that has been misconstrued and co-opted as a marketing technique.

I read two posts from you this morning, one offering writing services to someone who asked for help over a year ago and this one. Guess, you could say my response came from seeing one after the other.

If you are that familiar with Bell Laboratories and/or LSI, why not explain to the OP that they were mis-informed rather than sending them on a wild goose chase?

YMC, Mar 21, 2012 IP
  7. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @YMC
    Honestly I didn't realize until I read your post that the "someone who asked for help" had written over a year ago. My bad,but then again I was just "trying" to help.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  8. tumichael

tumichael Member

Best Answers:
    Ok guys. so LSI isn't as good as SEO? i see many services offer LSI writing

tumichael, Mar 21, 2012 IP
  9. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:

10. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @Don88
    Well it appears that not only have you been banned but your post has been deleted. Some new members think that they can get their 25 posts,which are of course needed in order to trade or create a thread by doing this. They attempt to circumvent the rules by using "copying" software that automatically copies posts then submits them.
    This alleviates the need to write or contribute to this forum.

The mods caught this within a few minutes of the post being made....good call.

Spoiltdiva, Mar 22, 2012 IP
  11. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    From what I read yesterday, LSI has simply become the latest trendy thing that's being used as a marketing tool to sell writing and SEO services.

One of the things a lot of SEO gurus and writers try to claim is that they know how to beat Google. The math and science behind LSI is quite complex. It relates to evaluating documents. Either by honest mistake or with the intent to defraud, someone saw it as an opportunity to add a layer of mystery to SEO. It's that layer of mystery that they thought they could sell to the masses. Along the lines of, "I know this super-complicated thing called LSI that you couldn't possibly begin to understand and I can use that knowledge to make you rank #1 in Google." Problem is that LSI is not that sort of thing.

As far as LSI not being as good as SEO...it would appear to have absolutely nothing to do with SEO. It's just the latest gimmick.

The folks offering LSI writing may just be blindly following the trend or they may be selling snake oil. Hard to tell without asking each of them.

Your original post said you found it difficult to write LSI articles. Were you following instructions from somewhere? I'm curious to see what they said to do.

YMC, Mar 22, 2012 IP
  12. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    LSI isn't a demon,it's just a mathematical/statistical means of using language. It's been adopted by search engines,particularly Google. It's merely a concept rather than a technique.
    I say anything that helps a writer to make a living is an asset. I for one am keeping an open mind on LSI.

13. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My thinking is that it does have a practical application for search engines. Folks who work in that field simply don't believe that even Google would have the computing power to fully utilize the science.

If the search engines are using all or part of LSI in their algorithms, how could any writer or SEO pro to be able to determine the data set, perform the calculations and somehow figure out how to use that information to their advantage?

I paid little attention people promoting LSI as an SEO technique or tool when the trend started. I remember looking at the Wiki article, seeing all of those matrices and thinking no way 99+% of the people working in the SEO or writing fields can possibly decipher that stuff.

I suspect that in the end, there's simply no replacement for old-fashioned research. Researching the keyword rankings, placements and how to beat the competition can take hours for each page. In most cases, it's simply too time consuming and expensive for most clients to pay for.

Just for grins, I did a search on how to write LSI content. The advice given was to include terms related to the topic beyond your keywords. The example was carpet and the suggestions were to use words like weave, pile, thread count, etc. Well, shucks, that shouldn't be news to anyone proclaiming to be knowledgeable in SEO. Just as it shouldn't be news to anyone who writes articles and sales copy for a living.

Marketing has always been about depth of knowledge. The more buzz words a salesperson throws into the conversation, the more likely you are to believe they know what they are talking about.

Giving it a name like LSI , even if incorrectly, simply makes for a more concise way of saying, "We will take the time to learn the subject at hand, including common terms used when discussing that subject and include them in everything we write for you to ensure you rank well in Google."

Guess, I just assume too much sometimes. Anyone who offers web content, web copy or SEO services should be doing that anyway.

Maybe there is something useful here. Label the folks who can crank out articles in less than 20-45 minutes as non-LSI. The folks who spend longer than that researching the topic, identifying industry terms, the terms used by customers and what the competition thinks are the most important terms would be classified as LSI compliant. Of course, without some sort of governing body, it would take all of 5 seconds for the non-LSI writers to simply proclaim themselves as LSI compliant.

My advice to tumichael would be to not worry about LSI and go back to basics. Think about the different terms associated with your topic. Think about what people who own that particular iPad call it. Write your article in such a way that shows you know what you are talking about and are just not writing a piece of fluff. It would seem, at it's core, that's all the concept being labeled LSI is anyway.

YMC, Mar 22, 2012 IP
  14. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @YMC
    At the very least this thread has proven one thing. Namely that you can write,your last post was written articulately. It would appear that you have much experience with the written word.

15. Sam Gilmore

Sam Gilmore Peon

Best Answers:
    Latent Semantic Indexing. What's that? Also called latent semantic analysis, it's a way to identify patterns and relationships between words. Google uses this high-faluting concept to help them categorize your article. If you write an article on article marketing, Google expects to see that keyword and other words closely related to the topic.
    There's a free tool for finding these word sets at http://labs.google.com/sets where you can list a few keywords and it will generate a small or large set of the other keywords Google expects to find in the same text. If you scan the list, the other words can spark sentences that enrich your article or give you related topics for several more articles.
    When I typed "article marketing" and "article" and "marketing" into the fields and clicked the "Large Set" button, Google returned this list of keywords:
    article, marketing, advertising, blogs, business, promotion, web, blogging, writing, SEO, articles, Google, traffic, search, tools, tips, design, money, online, web 2.0, free, AdSense, webdesign, software, media, ads, howto, technology, website, affiliate, reference, books, video, pr, tech, engine, tutorial, work, RSS, content, webdev, optimization, social, tool, sales, life, directory, management, AdWords.
    Does that list spark some ideas for you? It does me.
    Can you see how writing an article with the main keyword in the title, first and last sentence and maybe in the middle somewhere, plus natural talk that includes many of the other expected words will help your article appeal to Google and human readers? No worries about mistaken keyword stuffing. It's all good.

Sam Gilmore, Mar 23, 2012 IP
  16. RnGWriter

RnGWriter Peon

Best Answers:
    In layman's terms if you want to write an LSI compliant article just be sure to include terms which are related to your main keyword like in this case if the main term is "ipad' include ipad screen or ipad resolution or even Steve Jobs. I do not know about the effectiveness of this strategy as an SEO technique but it the entire concept makes sense and it seems like a means search engines might utilize to understand a websites content.

RnGWriter, Mar 27, 2012 IP
  17. southmark

southmark Peon

Best Answers:
    This thread is a perfect example of how to build human readable content about "LSI articles". Several angles have been covered, including some tangents related to Bell labs, google, SEOs etc etc...

One tip that I give my writers is to start with a word document in outline mode and create the document structure which covers important bases and then write to the structure.

Amen.

Run as far as possible from the next consultant or writer who puts "LSI articles" in their pitch. They're targeting a certain type of person who falls for fancy acronyms. I'd bet none of them would even know what patents are relevant and how LSI works.

southmark, Apr 3, 2012 IP
  18. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Far too many words, I'm too lazy to read all of them. I have to agree with YMC, LSI is a BS term latched on to some people in the SEO world. A load of meaningless b******s. When you're writing, have a dictionary and thesaurus handy. Forget buzzwords (in fact, always avoid them), these useful tools are what you need.

ryan_uk, Apr 3, 2012 IP