1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is DMOZ still any good in 2012?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by gazraz, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Doing What?

Qryztufre, Mar 15, 2012 IP
  2. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is no best way. Every known way is THE PITS. The road only leads to disappointment and tears.

helleborine, Mar 15, 2012 IP
  3. Moxie Technoxy

Moxie Technoxy Peon

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is corrupt, inefficient, and out-dated. I would submit your site and then forget about it. 5 years from now, maybe you'll be surprised and it will get listed. I think the SEO benefits are extremely minimal and I would focus your efforts elsewhere.

Moxie Technoxy, Mar 15, 2012 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  4. Soumyananda

Soumyananda Member

Best Answers:
    I have submitted my site URL in DMOZ.com. But still its is not approved. So generally how much time it will require to accept a site?

Soumyananda, Mar 15, 2012 IP
  5. humtuma

humtuma Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agreed with some members that DMOZ is just useless.It is famous due to a webmasters only. When the webmasters calculate their result and found that their site is not in DMOZ. Most of the SEO also make this famous.Some of the take the $140 or $40 to come your website in DMOZ.When you read at their bottom.Their will be a message "we will follow all the guideline of DMOZ . We did not take the guarantee that your website will be successfully accepted by the DMOZ."

humtuma, Mar 15, 2012 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Can you back that up or are you just repeating the allegations of others?
    Not sure I followed most of that... but are you saying you know someone who will approve a listing for a fee? Care to share?

sarahk, Mar 15, 2012 IP
  7. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Its just as corrupt as it isn't, lol.

There certainly is evidence of corruption!

cor·rupt
       [kuh-ruhpt] Show IPA
    adjective
    1. guilty of dishonest practices, as bribery; lacking integrity; crooked: a corrupt judge.

2. debased in character; depraved; perverted; wicked; evil: a corrupt society.

Skrenta has/had over 20 thousand affiliated deeplinks, which is special treatment of an editors site. Most of those links were nothing but syndicated content. That alone fits the 1st and 2nd definitions of corruption!

Then there are the MANY instances of completed transactions with positive feedback for pay for inclusion DMOZ listings on sites like scriptlance. No, I can not prove that those are real, but then, you can not prove they are not. Either way though, its very odd that such things happen more then anyone would like to admit, and by multiple buyers and sellers! Surely not ALL of them are bogus....especially as many of them also have other transactions. It would be crazy to think anyone would go to that much trouble just to make the ODP look bad, when they do a good enough job at that themselves.

3. made inferior by errors or alterations, as a text.
    There are many many many dead links within the ODP, not to mention the errors in the very guidelines they point suggesters too. I'm told time & time again that submitting to the wrong category will result in the suggestion being moved to the correct one, yet the ADD page clearly says such misplaced suggestions will be rejected or removed.

4. infected; tainted.
    It only takes a few bad apples to spoil the bunch...

5. decayed; putrid.
    Its no longer nearly as important as it once was.

Qryztufre, Mar 16, 2012 IP
  8. helleborine

Best Answers:
    This is the point where I come in and point out that "skrenta" is getting ZERO traffic from these 20,000 deeplinks, and ZERO improvement in his SERPs.

helleborine, Mar 16, 2012 IP
  9. photofox

photofox Active Member

Best Answers:
    Do you work for Google or Yahoo? Unless you do, I don't see how you can make that statement.

photofox, Mar 19, 2012 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  10. helleborine

Best Answers:
    Hello DMOZ cult member. I have a relative at Big G. I'm extrapolating for Yahoo. I actually know for Google. Google does NOT. That is a FACT.

This is Google Trends for "DMOZ" - that tells you that in the 8 years between 2004 and now, DMOZ lost 80% of its appeal.
    [​IMG]

A simple extrapolation of the trend predicts that the DMOZ-pocalypse will happen at the end of 2014:
    [​IMG]

Enjoy the next 2.8 years wasting your time!

helleborine, Mar 19, 2012 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  11. sohagice

sohagice Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    i add my sites in there but still showing not added in DMOZ. any help?

sohagice, Mar 19, 2012 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  12. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Apply to be an editor? Or move on...

Qryztufre, Mar 20, 2012 IP
  13. Jason1985

Jason1985 Member

Best Answers:
    exactly I mean if the info is on some other sites I personally take it with grain of salt for now. Arrrg i miss yahoo explorer, good times! some old keyword tools I have are usless because of this dmoz thing now.

Jason1985, Mar 20, 2012 IP
  14. altb

altb Peon

Best Answers:
    na, dmoz is irrelevant today

I bet for google it's just another backlink

altb, Apr 6, 2012 IP
  15. Quickoir

Quickoir Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, they're taking so long to include a site on their directory. Even though it takes years to get approved there, I submitted new sites on DMOZ this 2012.

Quickoir, Apr 7, 2012 IP
  16. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi kids, are you still playing this game?

Forget DMOZ, forget even Google, use Facebook to create fan page and reach your customers directly! :cool:

Ivan Bajlo, Apr 8, 2012 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  17. humtuma

humtuma Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am saying some of the SEO take the fees for DMOZ. Google it and get the list of website.It might be possible they have relation between the Editor and them. After all, editor will appove the website.

Yes, you are right. I am not blaming to DMOZ. But its become a business for SEO. I am not wrong.
    I have see some of the websites take the 140$ OR 40$ for submit website in DMOZ(Where you can also submit website in DMOZ without help).
    For normal directories whether their PR is high, $10 or 20$ or what ever. And for DMOZ $140 OR $40 , confused me
    Code (markup):
    And when you look at bottom of the SEO website "We did not take the guaranatee, we follow all the guideline of DMOZ".Whats going in DMOZ. I think the SEO company have the relation between the editors.Same line as above ,the editors have to approve the websites.

humtuma, Apr 10, 2012 IP
  18. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

I will SUBMIT your website to the ODP and give my personal guarantee that it's been submitted and for only $20. I will back up my guarantee with a screenshot of it being submitted. My end of the bargain is complete. I have done what you could have done for free!

Now, just like any other website that's been submitted, the submission sites in the ODP for years on end, ever making it a live link... but it's been submitted!

Tricky ain't it? Its kinda like buying the BOX of a Playstation for $5 on ebay expecting it to actually have the playstation in it...

Qryztufre, Apr 10, 2012 IP
  19. GarageMedia

GarageMedia Peon

Best Answers:
    Buy a domain with DMOZ link and 301 redirect.

GarageMedia, Apr 20, 2012 IP
  20. helleborine

Best Answers:
    What for? It's not like a stupid DMOZ link is worth a dime... why would you bother? There is no benefit.

helleborine, Apr 20, 2012 IP