1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which php framework is best?

Discussion in 'PHP' started by falconlink, Feb 25, 2012.

1. hotelmemo

hotelmemo Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Zend or zend

hotelmemo, Mar 12, 2012 IP
  2. bim4dmodeling

bim4dmodeling Peon

Best Answers:
    CodeIgniter framework is the best.

bim4dmodeling, Mar 12, 2012 IP
  3. ankit1589

ankit1589 Peon

Best Answers:
    I will go for CodeIgniter

ankit1589, Mar 12, 2012 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    because we all have all the time in the world to become proficient at all frameworks, do we? Often the problems with a framework only become apparent when doing the tricky stuff - and then it takes ages to work out if its a weakness in the framework or just that the features aren't adequately documented.
    Not on his list - you need to justify why he should consider it.

sarahk, Mar 12, 2012 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Drupal is a CMS, it's not a framework... and you didn't justify your recommendation.

sarahk, Mar 13, 2012 IP
  6. Alex Roxon

Alex Roxon Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've programmed in most frameworks, and for the majority of projects, I use Yii.

It's a simple, lightweight PHP5 framework that is easy to learn. It also borrows a lot of design methodology from Rails, and is fairly enjoyable to work with. I've noticed from my experience, that some of these older frameworks tend to have legacy PHP4 code (CI), and don't really work for me from a design standpoint. While Zend is pretty powerful, I don't particularly like coding in it - overall it just seems to heavy. Like everything Zend do, from a theoretical standpoint their codebase is great, but practically I find it a bit of a nuisance to code in. Everything seems to take longer in Zend.

Alex Roxon, Mar 13, 2012 IP
  7. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I'm in the same boat about Zend. It's really discouraging that so many corporate and large projects like Magento are started using it. I went with Symfony when I started into frameworks as Yii wasn't really on the radar yet. I had codeignitor and Symfony as the only realistic options. Zend has gotten better as it was originally just a bunch of reusable libraries, but it's still overly bloated and clunky compared to what else is available.

jestep, Mar 14, 2012 IP
  8. Moxie Technoxy

Moxie Technoxy Peon

Best Answers:
    I use Zend framework for all my projects. It's extremely configurable, helps me build lean & quick websites, and there is a ton of documentation out there for it.

I'm not allowed to post links. Otherwise, I would post a link to the documentation and a skeleton app from git hub.

Moxie Technoxy, Mar 15, 2012 IP
  9. Moxie Technoxy

Moxie Technoxy Peon

Best Answers:
    I disagree that Zend is bloated. You build your own app based on what Zend components you need, so it's only as clunky as you make it. As for things taking longer in Zend - any time you build something properly, it's going to take time. Once you get your first Zend project completed, you can re-use the code over and over and you'll never need to duplicate anything.

Moxie Technoxy, Mar 15, 2012 IP
  10. hunk.jaat

hunk.jaat Peon

Best Answers:
    zend, cake, smarti framework.is the best.

hunk.jaat, Mar 16, 2012 IP
  11. Alastair Gilfillan

Alastair Gilfillan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for asking this question. I've been putting off learning one of the big frameworks because I've always worked as a one-man-team and just started from scratch on my personal projects. It's very preferential because there isn't one framework that can do something that another can't (it's just a matter of how easy it is to do that thing). I'm going to continue researching what the people that have posted here more than once have mentioned because the people that have posted one-liners probably haven't tried anything other than what they mentioned. They read your question as "Which framework do you use?" not as you asked it. Good luck!

Edit: I'll be going with whatever's open source and doesn't have an over-bearing "support" company owning it (especially not one that was founded in a criminal country...) because I don't think it's fair to pass the proprietary price tag onto my clients because I took the easy route and learnt the one that was most visible (/commercial).

Alastair Gilfillan, Mar 16, 2012 IP
  12. Estiva

Estiva Peon

Best Answers:
    Codeigniter is the one i am starting with. I think you can pick any if you're comfortable with. I think YII and Codeigniter are quite popular but it depends on how one can do.

Estiva, Mar 17, 2012 IP
  13. Kavin Raja

Kavin Raja Active Member

Best Answers:
    Codeigniter is the easiest to learn. But Yii seems to be great too. I would suggest choosing one of them.

Kavin Raja, Mar 18, 2012 IP
  14. cuongheoem

cuongheoem Peon

Best Answers:
    I haven't tried the first 2 but I'm pretty happy with CakePHP right now
    It has lots of features and good documentation as well

cuongheoem, Mar 23, 2012 IP
  15. peoplesinnovation1

peoplesinnovation1 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yii is a high-performance PHP framework best for developing Web 2.0 applications.

peoplesinnovation1, Mar 27, 2012 IP
  16. rajengg

rajengg Peon

Best Answers:
    `Yii PHP Framework` Best for Web 2.0 Development.
    Oldest PHP frameworks (`Zend framework`) already earns a lot of reputation.

rajengg, Mar 28, 2012 IP
  17. james2012

james2012 Member

Best Answers:
    I may suggest you to use CodeIgniter as it is light weight easy to understand. I like it.

james2012, Mar 29, 2012 IP
  18. peoplesinnovation1

peoplesinnovation1 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes, I also like it.

peoplesinnovation1, Mar 29, 2012 IP
  19. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think the Zend Framework is the "best" out there. It's highly customizable and doesn't force you to adhere to the traditional MVC approach. You can use the entire system as a Library and pick and choose components to use in your application. There's a lot of docs and tutorials out there and the Framework has grown and matured over the years. I find it is the most popular choice for PHP Frameworks in the corporate world.

A lot of people will argue that Zend is too bloated or large...however that is non-sense. While out of the package Zend is over 20 MB the ONLY libraries loaded in to your application are the ones that are used...NOT the entire distribution. I find Zend perfectly fine for small to large projects. But in any case...you should only use a Framework if you believe your application will grow and expand.

You will read countless posts by random people telling you why to use this Framework or that Framework but the truth is...there's not enough time in the world to learn all Frameworks then choose. In order to increase your productivity you must choose a Framework and force yourself to learn it... THEN you will reap the benefits from it. I suggest to pick a Framework that has a large following, community, and a history. Zend is the perfect PHP framework to learn. It's going to be around for quite some time.

NetStar, Apr 10, 2012 IP
  20. getlostrentals

getlostrentals Peon

Best Answers:
    Zend framework or Code Igniter is best!

getlostrentals, Apr 11, 2012 IP