1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How a Inner page rank high than home page?

Discussion in 'Google' started by skseofleet, Mar 9, 2012.

skseofleet, Mar 9, 2012 IP
  2. simple007

simple007 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    its because of the baclinks pointing to the inner page

simple007, Mar 10, 2012 IP
  3. larysmith711

larysmith711 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It happens. Stop worrying about PR it means nothing.

larysmith711, Mar 10, 2012 IP
  4. imfusa

imfusa Active Member

Best Answers:
    You may have got a better backlinks quality for that inner page, concentrate now to do the same for the index.

imfusa, Mar 10, 2012 IP
  5. Sgroove

Sgroove Peon

Best Answers:
    true, PR is just a number.

Sgroove, Mar 10, 2012 IP
  6. patco

patco Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It is because the backlinks to that page are more "quality" than the backlinks to your homepage ;) ... This happens very often ;)

patco, Mar 10, 2012 IP
  7. JoeVlcek

JoeVlcek Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It is not just the backlinks. If google sees an inner page with more relevant content for a certain keyword than the main page, then that inner page gets ranked.

JoeVlcek, Mar 10, 2012 IP
  8. lifeplayer

lifeplayer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Every page is individual pages, if you have more dofollow backlink or more PR juice is passing to your inner page, then your inner page's PR will be higher

lifeplayer, Mar 11, 2012 IP
  9. lapseo

lapseo Member

Best Answers:
    If the PR of your inner page is more than the PR of your homepage then it's because there are more backlinks pointing to the inner page and/or the quality of these links are much higher than those of your homepage.

lapseo, Mar 11, 2012 IP
  10. jhardy2008

jhardy2008 Peon

Best Answers:
    this depend on backlinks.

jhardy2008, Mar 11, 2012 IP
  11. NickzSmarty

NickzSmarty Member

Best Answers:
    It's all depend on the quality back links to your link page it may be home page or inner whatsoever you had targeted. your inner page has more high pr n quality back links than home page url.

NickzSmarty, Mar 12, 2012 IP
  12. blacknet

blacknet Active Member

Best Answers:
    the clue is in the name "PAGE rank", not "site rank" or "domain rank".

blacknet, Mar 12, 2012 IP
  13. DonnieSEO

DonnieSEO Peon

Best Answers:
    All the answers above are correct, The page that is ranking may have better content that people are linking to, the fact that you linked a bunch of top notch SEO experts and placed them on one post makes it very resourceful/bookmarkable/shareable for a noob who is trying to learn SEO.

Page Rank is all about link juice and every page is independent.

DonnieSEO, Mar 12, 2012 IP
  14. C.Rebecca

C.Rebecca Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google assign PR to web page not to domains... Page which has better link will have better PR.
    I really wonder, why people are still after this PR thing. I never bothered to check PR of my site. Its mere a metric which contributes nothing in improving your site's performance. Its better to focus on other metrics like ROI, traffic and SERP ranking.

C.Rebecca, Mar 12, 2012 IP
  15. turkishhomes

turkishhomes Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe I'm missing it but I can't see a link back from the inner page (or any of the inner pages) to the home page? If it's there and I missed it I apologize but otherwise I would have thought the PR going to that page isn't being fed to the home page?

turkishhomes, Mar 13, 2012 IP
  16. blacknet

blacknet Active Member

Best Answers:
    Why would it?? PAGErank, it has nothing to do with the domain that page is on, or what some would class as the homepage, or any other page.

Each URI/URL is distinct, and each one has a different PageRank (which is only an indicative measurement with little meaning) two urls, even if they differ only in a single letter at the end, are two different URLs, regardless of whether they're http://foo.com/bar or http://barfoaldkajsldkjasldkj.as/asdlkjasdlkj.asd - there's no correlation between the rank of a specific URL/page and any other page on the domain name, any more than there is between a page on one of your sites, and one that doesn't exists yet on a domain I haven't bought yet.

blacknet, Mar 13, 2012 IP
  17. turkishhomes

turkishhomes Peon

Best Answers:

Your opinion that PR does not flow internally and that each page is an island as regards PR contradicts that which I have heard elsewhere. I have seen many articles which talk about the importance of internal linking, one of the benefits being the spreading of link-juice throughout a site.
    For example, this is from SEOmoz regarding internal links:

"They help spread link juice (ranking power) around websites."

and

"The optimal structure for a website would look similar to a pyramid. This structure has the minimum amount of links possible between the homepage and any given page.
    This is helpful because it allows link juice (ranking power) to flow throughout the entire site thus increasing the ranking potential for each page." (my italics)
    (source: http://www.seomoz.org/learn-seo/internal-link)

Has SEOmoz got this wrong then?

turkishhomes, Mar 13, 2012 IP
  18. blacknet

blacknet Active Member

Best Answers:
    More inaccurate that wrong.

The web is so called because it is made of links from one URL to another.

Pagerank is (well was) a rather simple guidance measurement which assigns a weight to a given URL, each link to that URL is a vote of confidence for it, each link from that URL is a vote of confidence by that URL to the one being linked to. The more links on the page, the less meaning each "vote"(link) has.

Google of course is not dumb and does have some understanding of the content of a page (that is their job) and thus understand that a "page" on a "website" is likely to link back to it's homepage, to other pages on the site, and to things like terms and conditions. Which is perhaps why every single "terms & conditions" page on the web isn't a PR10... ... .. . The vote is (well was) much weightier when the link is to an external page, of high quality, that is also linked to by other respectable sources, and from a page which isn't spammed full of links.

Regardless, PageRank is a 10 year old technology which was just a vague indicator of a specific pages worth that lost all creditability and worth several years ago, even google aren't interested in it, nor do they use it. It's a legacy and it's use around this community is frankly unfathomable.

I often wonder how many people round here have actually read the webmaster guidelines given by google, the support articles, the official blogs, and taken any time at all to look up on the basics of the web that every IM should know, like a basic understanding of URLs, HTTP and HTML. A bit of web history really wouldn't hurt either.

ps: I'm an invited expert in several W3C working groups, spec writer, work closely with the technical architecture of the world wide web, am at the fore of the semantic web, work with the inventor of the web, and tbh know SEOMoz don't quite know what they are talking about, nor do they fully understand the way the web works; similarly they're about 3-4 years behind techwise, whilst I work about 10 years ahead of where the general web is (and then help write the specs and techs you'll be using in 5-10 years).

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
    blacknet, Mar 13, 2012 IP
  19. FinaceBloger

FinaceBloger Peon

Best Answers:
    It is the matter of content, backlinks and number of visitors to the page

FinaceBloger, Mar 13, 2012 IP
  20. bluebenz

bluebenz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    if you get a lot back link to inner page from other website (or even from the same site), then that page will rank higher.

bluebenz, Mar 13, 2012 IP