1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are these paid directories culprit for throwing me out of Google's SERPs?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Mr_Kumar, Mar 4, 2012.

Hi,

Recently I got few links from paid directories.

These directories are High PR directories, having good PR for inner category pages as well. Have some links in google. Some links to these directories are from High PR pages (that is why these dirs have good PR). Directories are NOT filled with long list of websites in every category. Website worth calculator tools are calculation good amount for these directories.

But within a week time (after I get links from there, and links get indexed in google), my website was thrown to last pages of SERPs. 700+ rank positions. After some time I found some of those directories got deindexed completely from Google.

Can someone experienced with all these stuff comment on the issue? Do these dirs can cause problem in Google? OR it must be something else cause lost of ranks?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
    Mr_Kumar, Mar 4, 2012 IP
  2. xc06

xc06 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think directory listings can cause serp dropped unless you do it very aggressively, like submitting your websites to hundreds directories in one day.

xc06, Mar 4, 2012 IP
  3. Mr_Kumar

Mr_Kumar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    @xc06, Thank you for your reply.

Here I am trying to find out if these directories are worth enough to invest with them OR they can make a negative impact? My site was thrown back in SERPs just after few days of putting link there.

Mr_Kumar, Mar 4, 2012 IP
  4. WallaceYeung

WallaceYeung Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    They are fake PR web directories IMO.

Simply check the domain whois,
    http://www.indexlogic.org
    Expiration Date: 2013-01-22 11:42:33
    Creation Date: 2010-01-22 11:42:33
    it's just a two years old domain,
    i even can't find the site on Google "indexlogic.org".
    is it a PR6 website?! :rolleyes:

Submit to quality web directories only,
    otherwise it will harm your website' ranking and serp i believe.

WallaceYeung, Mar 5, 2012 IP
    Mr_Kumar likes this.
  5. Mr_Kumar

Mr_Kumar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    @WallaceYeung, Thanks a lot.

At the time of submissions.. this was not the situation. But now it is.

This is the situation with 2 other dirs as well. In fact these 3 directories are now Out of index. Superb. I being bit experienced was made fool by this person. this is the time to laugh on myself.

Thanks a million friends.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
    Mr_Kumar, Mar 5, 2012 IP
  6. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Were those the primary links to your site? Perhaps if you don't have a lot of other links, when G deindexed those sites, the links you had became worthless.

Backlinks from sites like that should never hurt your site. It would be too easy for someone else to attack a site by simply buying backlinks in their name.

That said, G, claims to penalize sites that are trying to buy PR. Not sure how they would know if it was you or someone attacking you that was doing the buying though. Based on your post here, it does tend to sound like you were going for PR with your purchases.

Personally, I'd chalk it up to lessons learned and move on. Work on getting backlinks from sites related to yours. Be more careful about the directories that you support with your money. And, hopefully, in time, you'll see your site climb back up in the results.

YMC, Mar 5, 2012 IP
    Mr_Kumar likes this.
  7. profitmotive

profitmotive Peon

Best Answers:
    Could have been your linking strategy. A good link will never get you demoted in Google. Worst case scenario is they do nothing.

But a bad link, overly aggressive linking strategy, non-diversified anchor text etc, can get your penalized.

profitmotive, Mar 5, 2012 IP
    Mr_Kumar likes this.
  8. falconlink

falconlink Active Member

Best Answers:
    It is important to submit links into good quality directories. Sometimes you see some new directories with high PR and I request you to avoid them. Check and find out aged directories and check their qualities. Don't run behind PR.

falconlink, Mar 5, 2012 IP
    Mr_Kumar likes this.
  9. Mr_Kumar

Mr_Kumar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    @YMC, As website is new and these dir link were first paid links. Now I have removed my site from all those dirs. One question... Google will come to know the removal of my site from those dirs which are still indexed. But how google will come to know the removal from those dirs which are already deindexed? Do google keep deindexed websites in their database as hidden?

Besides this you said it completely true that someone else can put my site in crapy dirs, so this should not be the main reason behind loosing ranks. May be as these dirs were the first paid dirs.

@profitmotive, you said it right. About my site.. besides these paid links... I have made all free links with diversified anchor text. May be I have some big issue with my WP or its plugin settings.

@falconlink, yes thank you. I'll keep your advice.

Thanks a lot.

Mr_Kumar, Mar 5, 2012 IP
  10. millbey

millbey Peon

Best Answers:
    Google has said several times that it is against the 'Paid' link. And by adding sponsor listing at directories you are simply doing that. So yes that could be the reason.

millbey, Mar 5, 2012 IP
    Mr_Kumar likes this.
  11. Mr_Kumar

Mr_Kumar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Thanks millbey. My site was in proper category (not under sponsored links). BTW... my competitor is having directory wide link under sponsored links for more than year, and ranking on top... continuously.

Mr_Kumar, Mar 6, 2012 IP
  12. samdar

samdar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google is pretty shitty in banning directories these days. One of my directories got banned even though I dont allow anchor text keyword titles and I write original descriptions.

That being said, the directory you referred is nothing but a high PR paid link site. Now, there is enough good reason for Google to kick you out of serp as you have not purchased link from a directory, but you have purchased a paid link.

Yes, not all directories are directories. Not all high PR directories are really high PR directories. You need to watch if they are in good books of Google (No anchor text usage, good description, very good editorial value etc.,)

Wrt your competition enjoying good ranks - There are many thieves in the world. Cops don't have enough resources or money to catch them all. If you are caught, it's just your fate :) Unlucky !

Just raise a PayPal dispute and get back your money from the directories owners and move on to create new sites. It might take few months or a year to get this site back into serp. Just raise a reconsideration request and explain that you removed all paid links from directories. If you are lucky you might be in real soon. Good luck.

samdar, Mar 6, 2012 IP
    Mr_Kumar likes this.
  13. Mr_Kumar

Mr_Kumar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Thanks for your views.

I already got refund, and my site is now out of those dirs.

My site is not banned (it is in SERPs), but lost its ranks. Do i still need to wait for several months to years? Or content Google? See the main issues with my site by following link in sign.

Mr_Kumar, Mar 6, 2012 IP
  14. samdar

samdar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If it is not banned, it will probably need some actions from you. Add more content regularly and build new links. It will regain position in few months.

samdar, Mar 6, 2012 IP
  15. arjolimEh

arjolimEh Peon

Best Answers:
    If you tell me that an elephant can fly i can believe you, but if you tell me a good directory get's de-indexed from G you are making me a fool. :rolleyes:

arjolimEh, Mar 6, 2012 IP
  16. fahadthe2nd

fahadthe2nd Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for sharing guys, i've used DigixMas to submit my site to directories i think i'll stop now

fahadthe2nd, Mar 6, 2012 IP
    Mr_Kumar likes this.
  17. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    My suggestion to you is that - don't go by PR of a directory as you know Google has been pushing it as a ranking metric down - and down.

While selecting a directory or the category you want to submit -- check its index history ( how frequently and how deep the directory is indexed!).
    Check its domain history -- how old is the domain.
    Then go to archive and check if it has a directory history since it was put online! There are many high PR directories which were some other sites before some-one installed a script on it and started to promote it as a directory. I always keep few miles away from them - too risky when Google starts punishing them.

Lastly but not the least - in-fact most important one -- check the URL with SEOMOZ's www.opensiteexplorer.org . If the domain strength is 40+ -- and has diversified links from atleast 50 domains -- then only think of investing into it.

Cheers

jhnrang, Mar 6, 2012 IP
    Mr_Kumar likes this.
  18. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Where the heck does SEOMOZ get it's data from? I compared one of my sites with a competitor and it claimed I had no internal followed links and only 26 external followed links. A total of 55 links? That is BS. I use no no-follow links and certainly have more external and internal links than are being reported. The other site is bigger and I expected it to rank higher but to say what it does about my site is ridiculous. What a bunch of horse poop!

YMC, Mar 6, 2012 IP
  19. samdar

samdar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Don't say that! Their tool is one of the best in the industry. They have some delay in crawling the web and hence your link count may be less when compared to the actual numbers. Use Majesticseo.com, OSE and SEO Spyglass to get a good view of where you stand. IMO, majestic seo is the best.

samdar, Mar 7, 2012 IP
  20. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My site's almost 6 years old. Most of the internal links have been in place at least 1-6 years. I tried one of my largest sites too and the results were even worse.

I compared my directory to another in the same niche. The other one appeared to be handcoded for years and has recently changed hands. The new owners installed a script.

In all, I tried three of my sites and two of them came back with 0 internal links - simply not true. Both sites use a script, I wonder if that is part of the issue.

YMC, Mar 7, 2012 IP