1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Will the Right Wing Continue to Attack and Condemn the Rights of American Women

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by earlpearl, Mar 3, 2012.

Very well written and perceptive article about taking responsibility or alternatively engaging in vicious slurs and hate filled attacks

Rush Limbaugh was either off his meds...or alternatively he really thinks all women are 2nd class citizens. He viciously attacked a young woman calling her a slut, a prostitute, and suggesting she post sex video's so he and other males would gain benefit from her perspective.

He obviously thinks a woman's right to express herself in the United States is limited to showing off her T & A and posting sex videos.

Meanwhile having posted this crazed rant....most GOP members have stayed strangely silent.

I guess they agree with Rush.

If the extreme right wing is going to keep all members of the GOP from expressing themselves we seem to have a party that reflects the mainstream of Islamic fundamentalists and the responses of Islamic society in the middle east. The fundamentalists kill off other Islamics and mainstream, Islamic/Arabic elements strangely and mostly stay silent. The killings continue. Once in a blue moon the main stream Islamics object...but they don't seem to do much.

Will responsible adult members of the GOP speak up against this assault on women or will they support Rush???

earlpearl, Mar 3, 2012 IP
  2. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Dont care one way or the other for Limbaugh... and unless you want to be held responsible for every statement made by anyone on the left your argument is weak. Besides, I DID see the testimony of the law student, and it was preposterous... easily worthy of some sort of ridicule. When you went to college did your insurer make sure your attempts to sow wild oats resulted in crop failure? Mine didn't. When did that become a standard? It isn't. If there'd been a free rubber amendment to the constitution I think I'd have noticed.

There's a little section in the Bill of Rights that is involved in the dispute:

I don't agree with the Catholic church on birth control, but I'm not prepared to see the feds decide they can force them to supply services that violate their beliefs.

Changing the topic to what a nasty SOB Rush Limbaugh is just obscures whats happening. The real assault is being made on the first amendment right that ensures Congress cannot dictate on the topic of religion. Defending the bill of rights is a lot more important than worrying that Limbaugh called a girl names. You've called people worse names in this forum, and there's a reason we dont start threads about that unconscionable injustice. It's petty and unimportant.

The president is getting you to watch the wrong hand. Slippery little magic trick, and if you fall for it you wont like it when the bill of rights starts to disappear.

robjones, Mar 3, 2012 IP
  3. earlpearl

earlpearl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Rob: I don't agree with the Catholic church either. There are sticky tough issues in total. There are issues about separation of church and state and there are issues of woman's health. You also brought up what are appropriate issues with regard to health care. I'm not a woman I'm not a doctor, and I'm not an OBGYN.

Rick Santorum went the other way. He wants his Catholism to dictate what he would do as President. That is scary with regard to the separation of church and state...especially scary if you are like the majority of American's not Catholic, let alone like many Catholics who practice but don't believe in everything from the Vatican.

But Rush called this woman:

A slut
    A prosititute
    and he wants to see sex videos of her. That is the way he would evaluate her worth.

Eliminate all the sticky tough issues about church and state and how it interacts with people's health. People are screaming about that and branding someone as a devil if they disagree. I find all that moralistic stuff to be inappropriate. Those are tough enough issues in conflict without people branding one another as devils or worthy of being angels.

Rush is a very very public figure. That is how he makes boatloads of money. He thrives on it. His comments also often decide the direction of the extreme right wing. Its been going on for years.

Will people in the GOP speak out about his comments? Lets see. So far very few have. Is the entire GOP a puppet to a guy who feels like he can broadcast to a huge population and brand this young woman, expressing her opinions:

1. as a slut
    2. as a prostitute
    3. He wants to see her in sex videos as that is the only thing that gives her value in his eyes.

Are people going to accept that or not from such a significant public figure? Lets see.

I think if the GOP doesn't condemn him for those comments I'm sure he'll do more and more of that and other Rush imitators will do the same. That is not a happy thought IMHO

4. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    When politicians want to make an attack on your rights... its always described as an effort to protect someone or something. Kinda like the bill before the utah legislature that puts a bounty on the life of coyotes. Do they call it the "Act to Encourage Hunters to Blast the Shit outta Coyotes"?

Naah. They call it "the mule deer protection act".

Anytime a politician wants to move a fence ya gotta watch closely. It isnt always about whose boundaries got expanded... You have to watch whose got smaller. The first amendment rights of the church trump any health control edicts presented by obama. That is the story here. This sideshow about Limbaugh is meant to take your attention away from it.

robjones, Mar 3, 2012 IP
  5. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @Earl TL;DR - what i skimmed out is that the Rush guy insulted some gal that could be a slut or prostitute . Also if she's hot enough i also want to see a sex vid of her lol .

No but seriously you need to take some communication classes if you want to get your point trough . I can barely follow you .

ApocalypseXL, Mar 3, 2012 IP
  6. Obamanation

Obamanation Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just another excuse not to talk about Obama's record. Anything but that.

Ok fine, lets talk about this. I'm intrigued. Have we established whether or not this woman, Sandra Fluke is a whore or a slut? I think that, before we jump all over Rush, we should first establish the truth of the matter. For all we know, this woman paid her way through law school by turning tricks. Perhaps she is widely known as the "go to" girl for a good time.

Until we rummage through her entire sexual history (like they did with Palin and her family), I don't think any of us can speak to the issue with any real authority.

Obamanation, Mar 3, 2012 IP
  7. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    -- Bill Maher is a public figure.
    -- He's on the same side of the political spectrum you are.
    -- Can i automatically assume you agree with everything he says unless you post otherwise?
    -- He called Sarah Palin a cunt. [ask any woman... that's the WMD of insults.]
    -- Why didnt you start a thread to stand up against this abuse of women?
    -- Did your failure to publicly post a disclaimer mean you are not responsible?
    -- Better yet... Why do you suppose I didnt post a shrill thread condemning Democrats for it?

It'd be irrational for me to assume every Democrat endorses every statment Maher makes unless they say otherwise publicy. I dont plan to call you "irresponsible" for not having already stated a thread to condemn Mahr.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
    robjones, Mar 3, 2012 IP
  8. earlpearl

Best Answers:
    Rob:

I didn't know he did that. So I looked it up. Actually he called her a dumb twat. One reference asked if the "c" word is coming next. The "c" word = cunt which you used...but evidently not Bill Maher.

A group so far to the left its absurd called out Maher:

Looks to me like at least one extreme member of the far left slammed Bill Maher.

I'm still waiting to see just how many members of the Right are going to condemn Rush Limbaugh.

So far condemnation for Rush's comments have been pretty slim from the Far Right. Lets give it time.

Certainly none of the folks who normally support the Conservatives or GOP here have condemned Rush Limbaugh.

You know when Anthony Wiener (what a name) got caught in his internet sex affairs he got slammed by the Democratic members of congress. He quit Congress pretty quickly. Wiener was not known, as far as I know as a moralist preaching to people about family values.

Meanwhile on the GOP side amongst the preachers of moral values and connected to the Religious Right

David Vitter, Senator from Louisiana, who was a customer of DC hookers kept his Senate Seat and even got reelected.
    John Ensign, Senator from Nevada, kept his seat for a long long time, even though he cheated on his wife, was a big supporter of family values, had an affair with his best friends wife, and tried to buy off his friend and his wife. He left the Senate the day before a Senate investigation. He stayed in office as a Senator for virtually 2 years after his affair was revealed.

The news about Larry Craig, the Idaho senator, who was arrested for lewd conduct (he hit on a guy) in a Minneapolis airport came out in late August 2007. He stayed in office till his term ended in 2008.

It appears to me that the GOP doesn't give a rats ass about proper behavior, or morals, or being an appropriate role model for young people, or family values...or basically any of the concepts that religions generally support.

...and so far here in DP P&R everyone besides me is giving Rush Limbaugh a pass.

9. earlpearl

Best Answers:
    Well Rush apologized on his radio show:

The full text:

I bet the fact that advertisers left his show had a lot to do with Rush eating his words. Lets face it....Rush doesn't offer apologies. Who knows maybe his bosses on the radio read him the riot act after advertisers, who applied common sense, deserted the show.

10. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Maher really did call Palin a cunt. By you rules youve already failed the test by failing to publicly denounce Maher as lower than whale sperm.

Pretend Maher is a Republican and check google again. Betcha find it that way. It appears your outrage on behalf of women is selective.

And btw... The chick Limbaugh was talking about is a law student, so it was wrong to call her a whore, at least before graduation when it becomes official.

robjones, Mar 3, 2012 IP
  11. earlpearl

Best Answers:
    The woman in question, Sandra Fluke is a law student at Georgetown University. Georgetown is a Catholic Jesuit institution.

The university health policy includes contraception coverage for employees and excludes contraception coverage for students:

Here is the President of the University on the recent controversy w/ regard to Sandra Fluke's testimony and Rush Limbaugh's comments. This guy clearly deals with issues of Church and State all the time and is not simply a commentator or political pundit: He deals with the issue:

ah...finally a responsible adult perspective. I wonder if he is a Republican or a Democrat?

12. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    So is my view neither adult nor responsible because it doesnt coincide with yours? Seriously now.

robjones, Mar 3, 2012 IP
  13. earlpearl

Best Answers:
    @Rob:

In that I was unaware of what Bill Mahar had said I've been looking it up. From what I see on the web he called Sarah Palin a cunt and a twat.

Those are very very insulting words. If I were Sarah Palin's husband I'd want to beat Mahar's face in. If I were Sandra Fluke's boyfriend, husband, father, whatever I'd want to beat in Rush Limbaugh's face for calling her a slut/prostitute and wanting her to make sex video's so Rush could watch them.

It does seem like Mahar's been going at her. He did get rebuked by about the most liberal group you can think of...NOW. I didn't know about any of it.

Should Mahar apologize? I certainly don't see it as bad. Mahar is a comedian. They have been going off on the edge since I guess the 1950's. Mahar's goal is to make people laugh.

Limbaugh is not a comedian. He is a political commentator. He speaks to make people angry.

Both of them make a sh1tboat of money by the way.

But if I were the guy in either one of those women's lives I'd want to punch the insulter in the face.

So yeah...I think Mahar should apologize.

14. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    I suspect Earlpearl won't comment on Maher calling Palin a cunt or a twat(separate occasion), because he concurs with that view. Its actually a safe position to take, as major media outlets described Maher's use of the [C] word as "Fearless". As usual, liberals hypocritically think they can be as misogynistic as they like while trying to make political hay out of bullsh*t.

More irritating still, Maher was entirely serious in his use of gender based slurs. He refers to the Palin mother and daughter as cunts and twats because that is how he feels about them.

Reading Rush's quote, he was clearly using absurdly figurative language to equate government funding of contraception to pay for sex.
    Did anyone get all up in Rush's face based on the idea he accused American taxpayers of being Pimps? You think Palin got a call from Obama after Maher insulted her? Fluke did.

15. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Maher isnt a standard comedian any more than Colbert or John Stewart. Hes the darling of left wing political commentary.

If i am to be assumed by you to concur with every word from Limbaugh, A guy i dont even listen to... you are similarly responsible for supplying a public disclaimer for every innappropriate word out of Mahers mouth. Thats just a matter of keeping the field level. Otherwise youre just exhibiting selective outrage.

robjones, Mar 3, 2012 IP
  16. earlpearl

Best Answers:
    O_Nation: instead of endlessly trying to color what I say or how I believe you should read exactly what I said.

Rob: You should read it too.

17. earlpearl

Best Answers:
    Meanwhile with Rush Limbaugh offering a "type of apology" while still promoting his perspective....but backing off the vile language...the issue will become news "mute" unless Dems bang at the GOP for not speaking up on this issue.

To date relatively few prominent members of the GOP spoke out against what Rush Limbaugh said and how he said it: Boehner, Carly Fiorina, Scott Brown, Christine Whitman not a lot of others.

I checked into something. As far as I can tell Rush Limbaugh has never before apologized for one of his attacks.

In light of the fact that advertisers were dropping his show I'd suggest that is the only reason he made an apology for the first time in his career.

18. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Earl, you seem to be missingvthe obvious point. You expect the GoP to apologize for stuff limbaugh says... But a leftwing commentator calls a GOP member a cunt and even HE doesnt feel an apology is due. Heres a quote from maher on the topoc when interviewed by msnbc (which really should be TOCC.. The obama cheerleader channel).

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/bill-maher-on-msnbc-my-jokes-about-palin-and-bachmann-were-not-wrong/
    Note that even Maher considers himself to be a "funny" political commentator.
    [Note to self. Call a girl a cunt and see if she thinks it is "funny".]

Newsflash: the left isnt the last bastion of chivalry. Do you think Maher got ripped a new rear end by the ultra-left msnbc commentator for calling a woman a cunt? Hell no. The left only gives a rats ass when the speaker is a rightwinger. Then they suddenly get their ovaries all bunched up and scream for blood. Gimme a fuckin break.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
    robjones, Mar 3, 2012 IP
  19. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't get it , if you want to have sex and you're over 18 why not get a job and buy the pills yourself . Having the state give you condoms and stuff in a country with a super high HDI is somewhere between stupid and futile .

ApocalypseXL, Mar 3, 2012 IP
  20. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    I read exactly what you wrote. Sometimes it is what is not said that says the most. When you write off Maher's comments as those of a comedian, when you question whether he ever called her a cunt in the first place, when you press on the greater evil of the limbaugh prostitute comment, despite having it put in context, it all paints a detailed picture that doesn't need me to color it. You seem conflicted, so let me help you with a video of a lefty who is a bit more direct with his feelings on the matter.

[video=youtube;S18gsZ37QXY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S18gsZ37QXY[/video]

This entire thread is based on the idea of ignoring exactly what was said by Llimbaugh, and instead relying on how you have colored it.