1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Whats the best way to transfer LARGE files onto a web hosting server

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by mmg1865, Mar 1, 2012.

I have some files of digital products that I wish to sell through a couple of my websites, but the files are large. the Largest is just over 4GB. I can't do it via the "file Manager" as the size exceeds the amount allowed, it keeps timing out on the unlimited FTP and Dreamweaver. Ideally I dont really want to have to split them up, but this looks like the only way unless someone can recommend an alternative ?!!? thanks in advance

mmg1865, Mar 1, 2012 IP
  2. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Have you tried compressing them into .tar.gz files or such first? Not sure how much you'll be able to compress them.

WSWD, Mar 1, 2012 IP
  3. mmg1865

mmg1865 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've zipped them, but like you said, not made too much difference to be honest.

mmg1865, Mar 1, 2012 IP
  4. alex_e

alex_e Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Zip them, and then upload them via filezilla.

If that fails, contact your host to temporarily increase the max upload size.

alex_e, Mar 1, 2012 IP
  5. hclloveh

hclloveh Peon

Best Answers:
    Many hosting providers can help you transfer it to new hosting without paying any fees. Just creat a ticket and ask them with a link to download. They can restore it easy more than you do it manually.

hclloveh, Mar 1, 2012 IP
  6. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think he is trying to upload it from his home computer. That's the problem. If the files were already on the Internet somewhere, it would be easy to do.

WSWD, Mar 1, 2012 IP
  7. sajjadidr

sajjadidr Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well, if the file is a video file then you can actually compress it to a format that will reduce the file size, and if it's not a video file then instead of uploading the file to your server it's better you buy a premium account in a website which allows you to upload large files without any specific limit and that's the best investment you can do to save your files and at the same time , use less of your FTP space.

sajjadidr, Mar 1, 2012 IP
  8. hclloveh

hclloveh Peon

Best Answers:
    He can make .tar.bz2. I think it's best choice on this situation. :)

hclloveh, Mar 1, 2012 IP
  9. JPC-Sabrina

JPC-Sabrina Member

Best Answers:
    This type of issue will become more problematic as file sizes continue to increase. .tar.bz2 isn't common knowledge but it may be the most adequate resolution at this point. I hope it works out and you get everything uploaded.

JPC-Sabrina, Mar 1, 2012 IP