1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

So, the GOP is the party of the rich eh?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Bushranger, Feb 27, 2012.

Rich people more likely to take lollies from children.

People from wealthy backgrounds are more likely than poorer people to break laws while driving, take lollies from children, and lie for financial gain, a United States study says.

The seven-part study by psychologists at the University of California Berkeley and the University of Toronto analysed people's behaviour through a series of experiments.

For instance, drivers of expensive vehicles were observed to be more likely to break the rules at four-way intersections, and were more likely to cut off pedestrians trying to cross the street than drivers of cheaper cars.

In another test using a game of dice, given the opportunity to win a prize, people who self-reported high socio-economic status were more likely than the rest to lie and say that they had rolled higher numbers than they actually had.

"Even in people for whom $50 is a relatively small amount of money, cheating was three times as high," said lead author Paul Piff of UC Berkeley.

"It really shows the extreme lengths to which wealth and upper-rank status in society can shape patterns of self-interest and unethicality."

People with higher status were also less likely to tell the truth in a hypothetical job negotiation in which they were the employer trying to hire someone for a job they knew was soon to be eliminated.

And when given a jar of lollies that they were told was for children in a nearby lab - though they could take some if they wanted - the richer people took more lollies than anyone else.

Even Dr Piff, who has studied the impact of wealth on people's morality and charitable giving in the past - finding that rich people tend to give less to charity than poor people - was surprised to see them taking sweets from kids.

"I was astonished," Dr Piff said. "On average, people in the upper rank condition took two times as much, so it was a pretty sizeable effect."

Also, in that particular study, researchers conditioned some of the subjects first to think of themselves as of a higher social rank by asking them to compare themselves to others with less.

The exercise showed that people could be trained to think more highly of themselves, and that they would in turn act with more greed and less ethicality, demonstrating that status drives greed.

"We also got them to increase their likelihood of saying 'I'd do all these unethical things,'" such as keeping the change without saying a word if a coffee shop cashier returned them too much money.

more at the source

Bushranger, Feb 27, 2012 IP
  2. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Actually its more like in the oil business, arms, real estate and wall street ! You corner this market most likely your a Republican - a GOP a hardline Right wing. LOL !

popotalk, Feb 28, 2012 IP
  3. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    So competitive people are more likely to be more competitive . There is an old saying amongst all salesmen "If you won't rip him off he'll be unhappy go to someone else who will" . Also in typical "only you are evil" Bushranger forgot this :

So if the party of the rich does exist (a cretinous notion at best since anyone is free to join any party) and it's more unethical by deduction the party of the poor is filled with ragtag criminals . Of course this whole bullshit propaganda was generously practiced by all nutjob regimes across the communist block . It's nice to see that the liberals are desperately trying to divide a already shattered society . I wonder if they ever heard of "divide et impera" .

ApocalypseXL, Feb 28, 2012 IP
  4. Bushranger

Bushranger Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well at least you stick with the thread's purpose, there's a bonus. Now let me explain, the title is my assumption based on the story, the rest is straight from today's 'news', which, admittedly, described as news is laughable at best, however that's not my choice, it's in the news. From my observations I see the GOP is full of people with the traits mentioned. We've had conversations here where truth and justice are 'old ideals' not worthy of keeping, so naturally I think it's fair enough to join the dots. Liars and deceivers are the wealthy ones according to the study, hence the GOP must be full of rich people! Get it? The lying, twisting and deceiving of GOP supporters here has already been well established imho.

Bushranger, Feb 28, 2012 IP
  5. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Iraq was not the project of Georges'
    The economy was only Obama's fault

As I see it

George Bush Sr. - negative on economy
    Bill Clinton - positive on economy
    George Bush Jr. - negative on economy

popotalk, Feb 28, 2012 IP
  6. ApocalypseXL

Best Answers:
    Here's the cold hard fact "Everybody lies" there is no exception from that . Don't believe me ? Start intercepting coms and you'll be shocked to see how everyone lies either by omission (the guilty lie) or by good old reality distortion .

Also about good old Bill . I believe that the economic boom during his time was mostly based on the fact that the exports to the CSI and Middle East exploded . Also the advent of the PC and the Internet added a massive bonus to the speed of the cash flow . Otherwise i can't see what made the US economy boom during that era .

7. Bushranger

Best Answers:
    What about when Bush gave millions of Americans a house price riSE, that worked so well even I can now afford to buy a few homes there (if only they let me). Then there's also that patriotic patriot act, keeping you all ever so safe'n'snug wrapped up in your little blankies. Where would you be without that? Then he just had to protect you all with the TSA as well, of course. All Obama's fault ! :)

Sure they do, this version of the same story puts it this way.

"Upper and lower class individuals do not necessarily differ in terms of their capacity for unethical behaviour, but rather in terms of their default tendencies toward it," the authors write.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/feb/27/upper-class-people-behave-selfishly

8. Obamanation

Obamanation Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What I find funny is that Bushranger opens up a thread to attack the "Rich", and then somehow translates that into an attack on the GOP, when study after study shows that conservatives are more likely to be charitable with their money and their time than liberals, with the religious right leading the pack!

Perhaps what Bushranger is really driving at here is that the Democrats are run by a bunch of extremely wealthy, unethical, a$$holes who could give a crap about the interests of the poor people they claim to speak for.

For the record, Bushranger, I AGREE WITH YOU!!!

Oh, and also for the record, using purely income strata as a determining factor, the middle class secular moderates are the least giving when compared to rich or poor.

One final note. Americans of any stripe are more likely to be charitable than citizens of practically any other developed country, and that includes Australia.

Such fun generalizing and demonizing whole groups of people, isn't it Bushie? As usual, no need to thank me.

Obamanation, Feb 28, 2012 IP
  9. Bushranger

Best Answers:
    When I read that news I thought of you straight away Obamanation. I thought going by the vices described you must be quite well-off. Then I thought about your party, yes I thought, your party must be full of similar type peeps. A case of joining the dots, you know just like you do with OWS.

10. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, stereotypes are a highly effective method of making judgments about people.
    Stereotypes! A Game Anyone Can Play

1) See photo below. Circle the one that did hard time in the Big House.
    a) The young black rapper with pony-tail wearing shades indoors
    b) The middle aged white lady that folds napkins into swans and alphabetizes her spice rack​

Visual hint:​

Attached Files:

robjones, Feb 28, 2012 IP
  11. Obamanation

Obamanation Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @Rob: At least in the case of your photo, one could provide some crime statistics as an basis for the stereotype. In the case of the Republicans being party of the rich, as the thread would have us believe, it is simply amazing how many statistics say exactly the opposite. Democrats raised nearly four times as much money as Republicans from rich Wall Street donors in 2008. The bulk of Republican voters in rural areas throughout America, the religious and charitable givers mentioned in my previous post are mostly lower income.

And then you have the top 15 wealthiest members of congress. Notice how 12 of them carry the little (D) next to their name, for a combined net worth of over 2.5 Billion dollars. In a way, the OP is spot on with it's assessment that the rich are more likely to take candy from a baby. The Democrats have actually made a business out of it.

Rank Name Minimum Net Worth Average Maximum Net Worth
    1 Darrell Issa (R-Calif) $195,400,035 $448,125,017 $700,850,000
    2 Michael McCaul (R-Texas) $258,618,051 $380,411,527 $502,205,003
    3 Jane Harman (D-Calif) $160,085,503 $326,844,751 $493,604,000
    4 John Kerry (D-Mass) $181,469,521 $231,722,794 $281,976,067
    5 Mark Warner (D-Va) $76,372,212 $192,730,605 $309,088,999
    6 Herb Kohl (D-Wis) $88,228,026 $173,538,010 $258,847,994
    7 Jared Polis (D-Colo) $57,944,127 $143,218,562 $228,492,998
    8 Vernon Buchanan (R-Fla) ($50,724,701) $136,152,641 $323,029,983
    9 Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif) $5,946,075 $101,123,032 $196,299,990
    10 Jay Rockefeller (D-WVa) $61,632,019 $99,057,011 $136,482,003
    11 Alan Grayson (D-Fla) $57,435,038 $93,896,519 $130,358,000
    12 Frank R. Lautenberg (D-NJ) $55,073,211 $85,572,116 $116,071,021
    13 Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn) $55,119,731 $73,151,590 $91,183,450
    14 Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif) $44,386,225 $69,046,622 $93,707,020
    15 Bob Corker (R-Tenn) $11,679,048 $59,550,022 $107,420,996

Obamanation, Feb 28, 2012 IP
  12. ApocalypseXL

Best Answers:
  13. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Just more statistics I suppose, but...

According to this, the wealthiest do donate more money than lower-income. However, they tend to donate a lower percentage of their income, in comparison to individuals that are earning less.

Rebecca, Feb 29, 2012 IP