1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Unexplained, huge spike in traffic

Discussion in 'Google' started by Snake Eye, Feb 22, 2012.

Last night, starting around 6pm or so I noticed my AdSense revenue increasing by a fast amount. I looked at my web stats and noticed that my traffic had tripled, however I cant figure out why. I looked at my search engine referrals, and they are about the same. No major links to my site coming in from other sites. Its like the people are just typing in my domain name and looking at the main page. Some of them have been sticking around, but a lot of them appear to just be looking at the home page. This is still going on today as I write this.

Don't get me wrong, I love the extra traffic and revenue, but I would like to know where this spike in traffic is coming from. February is usually a slower month at my site, but the traffic I am getting now is double than what I get on my good months like December.

Any ideas as to where these people are coming from? Remember I dont see any of them coming from search engines, or by clicking referral links on other sites like Twitter. So perhaps my site was mentioned somewhere in which these visitors have to just type the address in? I was thinking TV or radio, however if that was the case then the traffic spike would have been short. But for it to last this long, there has to be something going on. I would like to know what happened so I could keep this going.

Snake Eye, Feb 22, 2012 IP
  2. hiqasim

hiqasim Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Such kinda spikes results from stumble upon, as per my experience :)

hiqasim, Feb 22, 2012 IP
  3. Snake Eye

Snake Eye Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes that is exactly what I thought, but there are no major backlinks coming stumbleupon to my site these past 24 hours. I do get links from them, but not enough to justify this huge spike in traffic. I wish I knew where the people were coming from. My site's URL is on the main banner, perhaps someone took my banner and uploaded it to there website, and other people saw the URL and typed it in. I dont know what it could be, I like it though and wish it would remain.

Something else I should mention is that these visitors are not typing in www for my site, like they are typing it as google.com, and not www.google.com. I noticed that the spike traffic is not using www at all.

4. Genesis1

Genesis1 Peon

Best Answers:
    What your google analytics said?

Genesis1, Feb 22, 2012 IP
  5. Snake Eye

Snake Eye Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    That the people are just coming to the site, no referrer, just direct hit. The spike is still going on, and still no clues as to where this massive amount of visitors are coming from. No major search engine referrals, or any major links to the site showing on stat logs.

Like I said, I am glad this is going on, but I just wish I knew where all these people came from all of the sudden. Today might be a record setting day for me with earnings if this keeps up.

6. WishBone

WishBone Peon

Best Answers:
    Really sounds suspicious! Make sure you ready some evidence on this activity in case flag your site for invalid clicks.

WishBone, Feb 22, 2012 IP
  7. Snake Eye

Snake Eye Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It does sound suspicious, but when I looked at the ip addresses visiting the site, it was a variety of them from all over the United States. So it is not 1 person doing this. How do I tell if it is invalid clicks?

Snake Eye, Feb 23, 2012 IP
  8. GoldSEO

GoldSEO Member

Best Answers:
    Have you been baccklinking like crazy lately? This is usually the symptom, and might lead to a manual google review.

If everything's been a-ok, you haven't been buying visitors, you haven't been buying followers/fans/likes, and it's just growing naturally then relax. Even if it gets reviewed, it'll be fine

Maybe your hard work is just finally paying off! :)

GoldSEO, Feb 23, 2012 IP
  9. Snake Eye

Snake Eye Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    No I haven't been backlinking, I also have never paid to advertise this specific website. I am not as concerned about it being invalid clicks because the ip addresses are all different. I was more interested in knowing where they are coming from, because I would like to keep this traffic increase going. I guess I will just enjoy it while it lasts.

Snake Eye, Feb 23, 2012 IP
  10. yester123

yester123 Peon

Best Answers:
    May be some one has backlinked your site by posting your article or website's link due to which u r getting more traffic

yester123, Feb 24, 2012 IP
  11. dawsonryna

dawsonryna Peon

Best Answers:
    Your website might have pinged to high traffic website or some other news/journal website where most of the people can see the information.

Any of quality articles might have given back link now.

Or else, some one else might have used your information for their promotions.

Can't say...

But keep an eye on this change. Google Adsense Ads sometimes confuses the blog/website owners with sudden increase as well as sudden decrease.

dawsonryna, Feb 24, 2012 IP
  12. JerryRogers

JerryRogers Member

Best Answers:
    If you have Google Analytics, check that

JerryRogers, Feb 25, 2012 IP
  13. Nick Banner

Nick Banner Peon

Best Answers:
    someone is probably trying to get you adsense banned!

Nick Banner, May 9, 2012 IP
  14. gurumarketers

gurumarketers Peon

Best Answers:
    Could they be visits from mobile phone users?

gurumarketers, May 9, 2012 IP
  15. Joseph Bains

Joseph Bains Peon

Best Answers:
    Mobile traffic may be the answer. Sometimes I wonder how accurate certain referral tracking is? I have seen spkes for keywords I never intendeed to ranks for

Joseph Bains, May 9, 2012 IP