1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I have a game idea.i need patent right.how to get it?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by sudhakars, Feb 17, 2012.

Dear friends

Im an android developer.
    i have new game idea .This type of game is not available in android market,
    As a single man i cant able to develeop that game.i need some professional company to develop.

Before going to submit my idea to that company i wanna get some copyright or patent rights...how to proceed.i m living in india.

plz someone help me.

Regards
    sudhakar

sudhakars, Feb 17, 2012 IP
  2. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    If you're proposing to hire them, this is one occasion when they probably will sign a non-disclosure with you. Although if it all goes wrong, you'd still have to prosecute any breaches of the N.D.

Your other option would be to raise some finance or assemble some help from DPers and do it your self.

contentboss, Feb 18, 2012 IP
  3. LinksLead

LinksLead Member

Best Answers:
    Mate, first disclose your idea to any company and develop that application and then think about patent. Do not let your idea die just considering patent. Keep going on.

LinksLead, Feb 21, 2012 IP
  4. VpnViLLA

VpnViLLA Peon

Best Answers:
    Any chance on Symbian ?

VpnViLLA, Feb 21, 2012 IP
  5. Install

Install Member

Best Answers:
    Don't waste your idea man! Find some money and do it by yourself :)

Install, Feb 21, 2012 IP
  6. Sam Gilmore

Sam Gilmore Peon

Best Answers:
    Copyright itself boils down to a bundle of rights, often compared to a
    bundle of sticks. These rights include: the right to create copies of the work, the right to distribute copies of the work, the right to create derivative works, and the right to public display/performance. For example, if I wrote a book, I would have the right to grant permission for the publication of that book, or if someone wished to write a continuation using some of the characters, I would be able to allow or stop that work as a derivative.

To get protection, there are typically two requirements: authorship and a work
    fixed in a tangible medium. In plain English, you have to create something, and that thing has to be a finished product in the real world. A book, a painting, a sculpture, and a movie are all fixed in a tangible medium before release.

Copyright and Video Games

So what does this mean for gaming? Copyright's application to software is still a relatively young field (compared to the printed word), but on the basic level the rule is the same: Copyright protects the expression, not the idea. This is probably more easily explained through a series of short examples, which will all be video game specific, rather than explain the law word for word. This list is not exhaustive, but it covers many of the bigger issues. Of course, these are all hypothetical examples, and specific facts may have a different result.

1. Making an unauthorized copy of a game and selling it is, quite clearly, infringement. For example, if I burned a copy of Doom II on CD and sold it to you, I would be infringing on id's copyright.

2. Making a backup copy of a game you own a license to is not infringement. For example, if I made a copy of my Half-Life 2 DVD and put it in my safe, that would be acceptable.

3. Making a backup copy of a game you own a license to and distributing it is infringement, no matter what. For example, if I made a backup copy of
    Magic of Scheherazade
    and put that ROM online for others to download, it is infringement even though the game is no longer in production (and a bit hard to find).

4. Copying significant elements of the source code of the game would be infringement, even if the game looked completely different. For example, if Gears of War wasn't authorized to use the Unreal 3 engine, that would be infringement.

5. Taking a major character from a series and making your own series is infringement, and this includes machinima. For example, if I made "Halo 0: The Cortana Story" to tell the backstory ofCortana, I would be infringing whether that was a video game, movie, book, machinima series, etc. because it is a derivative.

As you can see, the concept of copyright is far more narrow than many people think. In the software realm, it is also not as well defined as with other media. It is still important to protect your game, however, with copyright. In fact, it is now even possible to preregister for copyright protection before the work is done. On the other end, as a gamer, it is important to not actively infringe on the copyright of the developer. After all, they put a lot of time and money into creating the game you're enjoying.

Sam Gilmore, Mar 16, 2012 IP
  7. sarahdb

sarahdb Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm pretty sure you can't copyright an idea. Maybe if you have a very basic model of the game, then it would be possible. But if you're not specific, it's basically impossible to copyright something. Can you develop a basic version of the game, even if the graphics are low quality?

sarahdb, Apr 4, 2012 IP
  8. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    A client of mine had dealings with "India Patent" and found them good to work with. You could contact them and see if they will give you some info on this. Also try "Bhagnari&Co. as they are the big player as far as patents in India go.
    Good luck to you.:)

Spoiltdiva, Apr 6, 2012 IP