1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PHP or Java?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by charlesbrown678, Feb 9, 2012.

Hey

Can you guide me that which programming language is best for apps development? I heard that PHP is easy to learn but java is more demanding... please give your helpful suggestions...

Thanks

charlesbrown678, Feb 9, 2012 IP
  2. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    According to me, I think Jave is the best!

drhowarddrfine, Feb 9, 2012 IP
  3. charlesbrown678

charlesbrown678 Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks dear....

But there are many sections in java which a single person cannot be expert in.. can you guide me that which section or sections are close enough to apps development? ?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
    charlesbrown678, Feb 9, 2012 IP
  4. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    You're welcome honey. Then I think you should learn PHP.

drhowarddrfine, Feb 9, 2012 IP
  5. modz

modz Active Member

Best Answers:
    Java! Just stick to the main flow of the language. After you learn it, you can apply for a job where you may specialize.

modz, Feb 9, 2012 IP
  6. QZAX

QZAX Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Food or Water?

That is what you asked.

You cannot compare PHP vs Java. They are for different purposes. Some application will suit Java where as others may need PHP.

What kind of application do you want to build. It depends on that.

QZAX, Feb 9, 2012 IP
  7. charlesbrown678

charlesbrown678 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the suggestion... :)

charlesbrown678, Feb 10, 2012 IP
  8. charlesbrown678

charlesbrown678 Peon

Best Answers:
    You might be right.. but i think both languages can be used for web development.. java is wider than PHP, i agree with it but i was asking about the choice that which should be adopted? ? as drhowarddrfine have given a fair suggestion...

9. QZAX

QZAX Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Why? Is it because drhowarddrfine called you "HONEY"?

In first post he said "I think Jave is the best!"

and in second post he said "I think you should learn PHP."

On what basis is he taking favor of Java or PHP. Where is his justification on why Java is Great or why you should choose PHP?

and what is your justification on saying that he has given a fair suggestion.

modz have given you suggestion to choose Java. why isn't his suggestion fair enough for you.

If you had already made up your mind to go up with PHP then why did you post this question here?

You said "there are many sections in java which a single person cannot be expert in". Do you believe that PHP is a small thing? Are you saying you will master it?

You said java is wider than PHP. HOW?

There are many things that Java can do and PHP can't. Likewise there are numbers of things which can be done easily in PHP and waste of time in JAVA.

You said you are asking for choice. What if I give you another choice QBasic? Will you take it? What if many other also recommend QBasic? Will you agree them?

You said both can be used for web development. Then why is PHP still around here. Java is a much powerful language then why is not everyone using JAVA?

First you asked for apps development later you switched it to Web development.

QZAX, Feb 10, 2012 IP
  10. GMF

GMF Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, QZAX is pretty much right.

Also: You are pretty much comparing a car with a boat. They are both used for transportation but their application field is different.

PHP is a server side scripting language and mostly used for the web. It works together with HTML/CSS/Javascript to create awesome websites, scripts, cms etc. etc. There are many other Server Side scripting language (ASP, Ruby, Python)

With JAVA you can make stand alone applications like games, programs etc. There are also many many other languages.

So what do you want do develop? Some web based stuff? Stand alone desktop programs?

GMF, Feb 10, 2012 IP
  11. charlesbrown678

charlesbrown678 Peon

Best Answers:
    @ GMF

Everything is stated in my first post. Pleas read that before posting... The question was not about comparing java and PHP. this was about selecting the best for my work.

Thanks

12. charlesbrown678

charlesbrown678 Peon

Best Answers:
    I said this not because he used the word "Honey" but because of that he read my question completely.

He did not asked me that what i want to do in java or PHP. This was stated in my first post that i need to work with application development and have to chose Java or PHP which i think you did not read before posting a foolish example of water or food.

I am nor comparing java or PHP. I know these terms but not to the extent that i can chose one of them for working. I was just wandering for a fair advice. I admire your suggestion
    I know that these two languages are wide and suitable for different circumstances. But what i need was not present in your post.

13. charlesbrown678

charlesbrown678 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think application development can be done with web development.. I was thinking that people are wise enough that they can think by their selves that what i was asking for... I want to develop a web based application for my website. This is why i was asking for help...

14. GMF

GMF Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I read your first post but, as stated before, WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DEVELOP ?? The term "apps" you used is very broad. Do you want to develop apps for mobile phones? For desktops? For servers? For browsers?

Seems to me that you just know the terms, and nothing else, that is why we use these comparisons so that YOU know that they are similar but not the same :rolleyes:.

GMF, Feb 10, 2012 IP
  15. charlesbrown678

charlesbrown678 Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry but i think that you have read only first post :p I would like to divert your attention to my last post... This will make you more clear...

There might be a condition just like you stated above but their could also be a condition that i am familiar with these terms more than your expectations... I actually have never worked with these two tools for web based development (web or web apps). I think this is more clear to you now.. :p

16. GMF

GMF Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, look at the post times. Seems we hit submit almost at the same time ;) .

Well, go with PHP then. I'll even give you some resources to get started

devzone.zend.com/6/php-101-php-for-the-absolute-beginner/
    Teaches you the basics of PHP. It might be a bit old, but the info is still valid

tuxradar.com/practicalphp
    eBook about PHP, very handy

php.net/manual/en/index.php
    seach for functions/usage etc.. Bookmark this site

GMF, Feb 10, 2012 IP
  17. charlesbrown678

charlesbrown678 Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah... both are at 4.01... :D

And thanks for your help... providing me the sources :)

18. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    I still think Jave is the best but I'd go with PHP. Cause I thoroughly read the post.

drhowarddrfine, Feb 10, 2012 IP
  19. charlesbrown678

charlesbrown678 Peon

Best Answers:
    there is no doubt that java is best.. I have a little idea now that java is best for development of all kinds of applications but i think PHP is best for web based apps....

20. janinjackson

janinjackson Peon

Best Answers:
    Java is the best for me...

janinjackson, Feb 12, 2012 IP