1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Many Wordpress on Deddicated server what can i do to slow Wordpress down?

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by TheSyndicate, Feb 9, 2012.

I already installed Hyper cash
    I installed Wp server cron so that the wordpress do not "turn" on every time some robot crawl it.
    I also installed robots to halt and slow crawlers.
    I told Google and Bing to crawl slow
    I block spam IP.

Is there anything more i can do to help the server survive many wordpress installs?

TheSyndicate, Feb 9, 2012 IP
  2. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    Yeah. Take all of that crap off. You have too many commands, redirects and scripts running and all of that crap combined is probably slowing it down even more.
    Let WordPress run naturally.

Your answer is probably in how many sites you are running and the plug ins. Plain and simple.
    How many sites are you running and How many different IP addresses?
    Are you running any autoblog plug ins?
    How many plug ins on each site?
    Are you running any redirect plug ins?
    Are any of your sites, multi site installs?
    Are your databases unlimitted?

Seems like you are adding more stuff, to compensate for the real problem. Too many sites and plug ins.

hmansfield, Feb 9, 2012 IP
  3. TheSyndicate

TheSyndicate Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Are you running any autoblog plug ins? NO
    How many plug ins on each site? About 5 -8 in general
    Are you running any redirect plug ins? Not in many
    Are any of your sites, multi site installs? NO
    Are your databases unlimitted? NO

TheSyndicate, Feb 9, 2012 IP
  4. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    You left out the most important question.
    How many sites are you running and on how many IP address?

hmansfield, Feb 9, 2012 IP
  5. TheSyndicate

Best Answers:
    Does that have to do with what kind server i have? I understand the questions but i am more looking for practical solutions like cloud flare or something like that.

TheSyndicate, Feb 10, 2012 IP
  6. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    I too have a dedicated server, but I also understand that I can't run an unlimited amount of sites on it if I want to keep the performance up.
    I'm probably running around 10 websites, down from around 40. Of various traffic levels. I'm also running autoblog plug ins on 2 websites.

And yet, you can click the first link in my sig and see that my sites still load pretty quick most of the time ( you can't account for interruptions elsewhere, and redirects)

IMO, you should
    • Keep your plug ins to a minimum. If it can be done with code instead, do so.
    • Compress your images.(PNG's load quicker)
    • I use W3 Total Cache and have the host set it up to insure that it is done correctly based on their server configuration.
    • A dedicated IP address for every website
    • Delete old, unused databases
    • Delete unused plug ins
    • Stay away from bullshit performance plug ins. They are still plug ins.
    • Don't mess with your site's URL structure. WordPress is just fine the way it is.
    • Limit the amount of redirects.
    • Host videos, audio files elsewhere and embed
    • Beware of some Twitter and RSS plug ins. Some are very resource heavy. Some are just fine.
    • Beware of old plug ins that haven't been updated. Some light ones are fine. Others are resource hogs.
    • Stay away from free themes unless they come from a reputable source THAT YOU KNOW, or the WordPress repository. Most have resource hogging scripts, malware, or viruses that use your server as a proxy to hide IP addresses, or install scripts across the server, or infect your users computers.
    • Make sure your IMAP email configuration is not constantly running. Mac mail can be a resource hog to your server because it runs continuously.

And a whole bunch of other stuff. Basically, I just keep it simple.

That doesn't mean that I don't run what I want to run and do what I want to do, but some people get so crazy with plug ins, scripts and tricks (changing pages to.html for no reason) that they think is going to give them some leg up on SEO or traffic that they end up actually hurting their site even more.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
    hmansfield, Feb 10, 2012 IP
  7. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    ..or if all of that sounds like nonsense and you just want to keep what you have, the way you have it...then upgrade to a better plan that gives you more resources to run what ever it is you are running. It's really that simple.

But if you have that many "performance" plug ins running, something is wrong.

hmansfield, Feb 10, 2012 IP
  8. mrgilb

mrgilb Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress super cache might help.

mrgilb, Feb 11, 2012 IP
  9. TheSyndicate

Best Answers:
    First of all thank you for your help!

Keep your plug ins to a minimum. If it can be done with code instead, do so. (yes i agree i am deleting all the time things i do not need before i had 40 plug in)
    Compress your images.(PNG's load quicker) ( i do not use much image)
    I use W3 Total Cache and have the host set it up to insure that it is done correctly based on their server configuration. (i use hyper cash since w3 crash my themes)
    A dedicated IP address for every website (that will cost me to much)
    Delete old, unused databases (unused databases???)
    Delete unused plug ins (done)
    Stay away from bullshit performance plug ins. They are still plug ins. (like what example?)
    Don't mess with your site's URL structure. WordPress is just fine the way it is. (How do you mean? change permalinks)
    Limit the amount of redirects. (not have many)
    Host videos, audio files elsewhere and embed (always)
    Beware of some Twitter and RSS plug ins. Some are very resource heavy. Some are just fine. (i am deleting RSS using from woo themes now)
    Beware of old plug ins that haven't been updated. Some light ones are fine. Others are resource hogs. (deleting them all the time now trying to have max 5)
    Stay away from free themes unless they come from a reputable source THAT YOU KNOW, or the WordPress repository. Most have resource hogging scripts, malware, or viruses that use your server as a proxy to hide IP addresses, or install scripts across the server, or infect your users computers. ( i am using woo themes now)
    Make sure your IMAP email configuration is not constantly running. Mac mail can be a resource hog to your server because it runs continuously. (i use POP)

TheSyndicate, Feb 11, 2012 IP
  10. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    No. Sometimes I see people running 3 and 4 "SEO" plug ins that do all kinds of crazy crap to their URL structure., like adding .html to the end of thier URLs.
    Individually, they may be fine, but when you start combining plug ins that do variations of the same thing, all it does it screw up your site and slow it down.

I'm still curious, how many sites are you running on one account, and are they all on the same IP address?
    I'm telling you, a bunch of websites on the same IP address can run slow.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
    hmansfield, Feb 11, 2012 IP
  11. TheSyndicate

Best Answers:
    I have one IP now but since you told me i will spread them out on the 5 IP i have. Why is it slow having them on one IP?
    I only use one SEO plug in or i use WOO theme SEO, no funny html and stuff in the end.

TheSyndicate, Feb 12, 2012 IP
  12. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    I don't know why you can't cram an unlimited amount of sites on one IP address. Why would you even want to?
    You probably need to ask over in the Server and Hosting section. But seriously. you've been dodging the question from the beginning. How many sites are you running on one account?
    You say you are having problems with things running slow, well, how do you expect anyone to give you solid answers when you keep avoiding answering important questions ?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
    hmansfield, Feb 12, 2012 IP
  13. TheSyndicate

Best Answers:
    I never heard of sites running slow on just one IP. My sites are not THAT slow it just the server that gets a fix sometimes.

Is automated messages / emails take big tool on a server?

TheSyndicate, Feb 14, 2012 IP
  14. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    Yeah, well, you don't know and I can't be certain of anything I'm telling you because you keep dodging the question of how many sites you have running on one server.
    How many sites are crammed on one IP.
    How many sites are on it total.
    What those sites are running.
    How much traffic they have.
    How many email accounts are pulling.

All of those things matter and yet you won't answer any of those questions.

I'm trying to help you and have asked you 5 times HOW MANY SITES ARE YOU RUNNING, so I know that you saw the question and it's obvious that you are deliberately avoiding it.
    It matters.
    No server can run an unlimited number of websites, and emails. And the fact that you keep avoiding giving crucial information tells me that you probably already know what the problem is, and just refuse to accept it. Anyone else with a dedicated server account would be talking to their host, or at the very least, the correct forum:
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18

So my advice is to get with your host to figure it out, they are going to be the best people to help you anyway because you can't avoid telling them the truth about what you are running.

No one here is going to waste time guessing at possible problems and solutions if you want to pick and choose what information you give them about the problem. At least I'm not.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
    hmansfield, Feb 14, 2012 IP
  15. TheSyndicate

Best Answers:
    I rather not say how many websites or something i have ok? I am asking for normal simple basic advice not a complete solutions to my problems. I talk to my host and they give me new info all the time. I always learn something new even from this thread and for that i thank you. There is always stuff you can do but i also learned that some advice is bad advice so i rather ask many people.

TheSyndicate, Feb 15, 2012 IP
  16. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    Well, the easy answer for me is you probably have too many sites and emails running on the same server. Especially if someone or multiple are running Mac mail to check for new messages every 2 seconds.
    Without knowing that, it's pretty much the only answer that makes any sense.

Q. Why is my server is running slow?
    A. You are running to much stuff on it.

hmansfield, Feb 15, 2012 IP
  17. TheSyndicate

Best Answers:
    I think i need to make my question again. How can i avoid the server to get slow? Using Wordpress mostly any tricks i can use?

TheSyndicate, Feb 16, 2012 IP
  18. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    Maybe someone in the Server Administration section can give you the miracle that you are looking for. But I seriously doubt it if you aren't willing to be forthcoming with all of the information that anyone would need to even help you.
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18

hmansfield, Feb 17, 2012 IP
  19. TheSyndicate

Best Answers:
    I think you missing the point. I know that i am not telling you how many blogs i have but for example delete plug in, take away google translation plug in, adding cash plug in and stuff like that is great examples that people can do. We always learning while doing.

TheSyndicate, Feb 18, 2012 IP
  20. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    No. You are missing the point. You asked this question

"Yeah, don't run so many sites on one server." THAT'S THE ANSWER!!!!

And on top of that, I've already blindly listed a bunch of other stuff that can drain your resources.
    That's all there is. If that doesn't help you, it's your own fault for being so vague.

hmansfield, Feb 18, 2012 IP