1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

[ask] bongous.com scam or not?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by dr3x, Nov 17, 2007.

1. smilyspirit

smilyspirit Peon

Best Answers:
    One to the guy in Canada,

I promote bongous and they are not that expensive( I do not use the other services)

It depends on whether you use their subscription or pay per order. if you use their subscription service you pay $15 a month fo r3 months which equals $45 plus the the $37 for shipping rate for your items weight. If you use their payper order it's a one time fee of $5.00 and a $58.oo shipping charge you would have saved more money from the pay per shipping.

If you used consolidating then you could save more but who wants to wait several months to get things shpped in bulk..

But if you compare their prices to UPS they are cheap That order would cost over $100 through UPS so still a pretty decent savings

smilyspirit, Dec 2, 2010 IP
  2. GeorgiePorgy

GeorgiePorgy Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I know this is an old thread, but it's not only top of the Google index for that domain, but literally the only thread or review on it..so I though it's worth contributing to and bringing back up.

I own a PC shop in Estonia. I used this and some other freight forwarders before, but it wasn't till I used UPS through a reliable US forwarder that I found out they charge too much. Getting graphics cards shipped for example, both identical weight&dimensions, was $110 with bongous, and $65 with UPS.

It's also worth mentioning that Estonia is one of the most expensive countries in the world in terms of shipping fees. Phillips(company) and politicians there are also trying to lock down imports so they can make more profits. You can already be assured shipping will be at least $40 from any over-seas company, so we have to buy from here mostly. It sucks..

GeorgiePorgy, May 28, 2011 IP
  3. BenBen1

BenBen1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't make the mistake I did and pick this option (I did without scanning around too heavily after hearing one person's experience of them being OK). They aren't OK.

Bongo get you in with a low cost to start up with ($5 or $15), but make their money through charging you dimensional weight on your shipments (eg, 2 pairs of sand shoes weighing less than 4lbs being charged 16lbs to ship!!! - you pay for the hollow air in a cardboard shoebox as much as you do for what you ship) - admittedly, you are warned of this dimensional weight issue when you sign up, but the cost of shipping (and the absolute lack of options) are large enough of a surprise to really sting (around $150 to ship two items that weigh less than 2 kilograms).

There were no shipping options either (as promised).

The GUI of the site is very user unfriendly, and dont expect much by way of information other than a few youtube videos. Everything of use/value is on the front (public) area of the site, when you buy in, the website looks like an abandoned carpark (think no information, small lettering, no real options, lots of blank space).

If I could have my turn again at this, I would have checked the blogs to read what others experiences were. This is my mistake, and Bongo's gain from probably yet another customer.

Shop around for something cheaper and better (I'm sure anything is cheaper and better than this), or get in touch with the outlet/store directly and see if they will ship to you. It's worth a try, and will save you a lot of dissapointment.

BenBen1, Jul 18, 2011 IP
  4. Koya

Koya Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi everyone,

I registered here specifically to write about the Bongous FRAUD... yes, it definitely is... here's my story with the:

1) I opened up a Bongous account back in March and didn't end up using it because the vendor I was trying to buy from no longer had the item in stock... I still paid the $5 charge for opening a Bongous account and I was ok with that.

2) A few days later, I figured I'll probably never need this service again so I went online and close my Bongous account - there is a form that you fill out if I recall correctly. I tried to login week after and it seems to have been closed because I could no longer login.

3) Months go by - till July - and I make an order from Amazon using the quick checkout option... I had completely forgotten to remove my Bongous address from my Amazon account and it was set as the default. I didn't notice this during the checkout at all - stupid me...

4) I check the tracking and I notice that the items had been delivered to the US - I live in Canada. So I knew something was wrong, I investigated and realized what I had done.

5) I went onto the Bongous website and used their "live chat" thing to talk to an operator and explain my situation. She suggested that I create a new BongoUS account and they'll move my items from the old inbox to the new one and then I can have them shipped to me...

6) I tried to create a new Bongous account and it said that my email address was in use!!! I went back and explained to her that I tried to use the same email address as I had used for my CLOSED account but it wouldn't let me. I asked her WHY they were retaining that detail for a closed account and her suggestion was to use a different email address... I didn't have another email address as that was my primary one so I insisted on reactivating my CLOSED account. She went and spoke with "management" and they agreed to reactivate my old account!

7) She said that I will still incur another $5 charge for reopening my account and that it will be charged to my VISA ON FILE!!!!!! I asked her to confirm that my credit card information was indeed on file eventhough my account had NEVER been used once and it had been closed for many months... she double checked and confirmed that that was the case!!!

8) Upon finding out that my credit card info was being retained, I didn't want them to ship the items back to me anymore and wanted the items sent back to the vendor. I obtained labels and RMA #s from the vendors and asked if I could email their management directly or get their names to ask why my credit card info was being retained indefinitely for an account I hadn't even used! She said she couldn't provide me with her manager's name!!! Then when I insisted she said Brian! I asked if he had a last name and she said she can't give me that, I said fine as long as there aren't TWO Brian in the company. I asked for his direct email address but she refused to give me that detail and said that I will need to contact their support email and indicate my Ticket #.

9) I emailed Brian from management asking him to explain why my credit card was being stored for a closed unused account and asked him to immediately remove that information from their system. 8 days go by and no reply although their automated system said that they would respond back in 1 business day.

10) I get a call from my Visa saying there are numerous possible fraud charges on my credit card and all originating from the US... one for $2.45 something and the other one is for $2500.00!!!!! Visa had already determined that those charges were fraud.... I had NOT used my Visa ANYWHERE EVER except for BongoUS so they either leaked my Visa detail or sold it to some other third party or used it themselves... I am not sure if that was because I had emailed them asking to remove my credit card info!!!! Whatever it is, I am now being issued a new Visa card and number.

11) I do not think they will EVER ship back the items to the vendors... I contacted them today via online chat and they had received my email from 8 days ago but didn't process the returns or even print the labels... I ended up with the same operator and she told me that she'll take care of the returns... I really HIGHLY doubt it since it seemed like they were trying to brush me off... I'll find out in a few weeks for sure but so far I've had nothing but a negative experience with them.

BE CAREFUL PEOPLE.. DO NOT USE BONGOUS... THEY ARE FRAUD AND WILL KEEP YOUR CREDIT CARD DETAIL FOREVER!

Koya, Aug 2, 2011 IP
  5. Rob Zombie

Rob Zombie Peon

Best Answers:
    well i m getting more and more confused after reading each post so thinking of staying away from them.

Rob Zombie, Aug 2, 2011 IP
  6. damiana

damiana Peon

Best Answers:
    package delivered in 14 days instead of top 5, no customer service for helping with the delay. Asked for refund since they did not keep their promise, they declined.

stay away !!

damiana, Oct 6, 2011 IP
  7. neilg

neilg Peon

Best Answers:
    I have used bongo for the first and last time. I recently purchased cd's from america and thought I'd use bongo. The goods were sent to bongo's us address. That's when the problems started. For me to receive my goods they have a list of requirements which I am unable to fill. Unless this was done my goods will be destroyed. I have spent hours and voluminous emails attempting to solve the probelm. Previously I have purchased goods from the same companies and received them without any hassle; but, this time with bongo no goods and no sense.

neilg, Oct 6, 2011 IP
  8. neilg

neilg Peon

Best Answers:
    I have had an unpleasant experience with bongo and would not use them again.

neilg, Nov 13, 2011 IP
  9. sweeney23

sweeney23 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with scott , their rates are expensive. You can check out viaddress . I have been using it for quite long and I never had issues with them, most of all It is cheaper than shipito and bogous.

sweeney23, Nov 26, 2011 IP
  10. neilg

neilg Peon

Best Answers:
    Bongo did not provide any service other than to keep repeating that the goods would be destroyed within thirty days unless the documentation which I was unable to provide was forwarded. They did not offer any assistance.

neilg, Nov 27, 2011 IP
  11. Richie86

Richie86 Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, I signed up to this site solely because of this thread (which I've obtained by ALMOST signing up to My American Shipper) before I decided instead to do some research on alternative sites that provide the same service. I'm glad I've stumbled across this gem of a thread because now I'm skeptical on if I should even sign up to sites that operate in a similar fashion (U.S address-shipping deal, then to Canadian Address). I wasn't able to find much information on the My American Shipper website via Google, but one ripoff report that was submitted somewhere in May.

Someone made a mention of BongoUS, and said they've been using their services with little to no hassle so I decided to do some research. Low and behold, I was brought here and I'm baffled by the stories told in this thread! I mean, I know online dealing's have always been a case of controversy, but this is just ridiculous! It's a shame too, because I really wish to purchase some items not sold in my regional area.

Would it only be ideal to use a service like this if the product you're looking for isn't available in Canada, OR Amazon? better than using Amazon? Would it be better to just go to someplace like Buffalo, and pay all the travel expenses, toll fees instead to get the item yourself?

Thanks in advance.

Richie86, Dec 1, 2011 IP
  12. maz07

maz07 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi, i agree with you. http://www.viaddress.com shipping rates is very compared to others. I can see the difference on viaddress.com website itself. Here's is a short brief of what they offer to their customers:
    Registeration _ FREE, Membership - FREE, Concierge Service Fee - FREE, Consolidation of Multiple Packages - FREE, Consolidation Fee _ FREE, Repackaging (To Lower weight) - FREE, Product Images - FREE, Duration Of Storage For 90 Days - FREE, Weekly Storage Fee (After FREE Storage Duration End) _ NONE
    Other Fees - NONE, Paypal Offered - Yes, International shipping Carriers - Fedex, USPS, DHL, UPS.

I never seen any freight forwarder have this type of service because most of them will ask for membership such as BongoUS that charged $5 for membership. I hope this will help and feel free to sign up as it is FREE.

maz07, Dec 3, 2011 IP
  13. Angry customer in Bongo

Angry customer in Bongo Peon

Best Answers:
    I signed up for this website because of this thread.
    My recommendation: DON'T try Bongo! If I have seen this thread before, I wouldnt have used Bongo to ship the stuff.

It was my first time using Bongo. And they charge 40% MORE than the online shopping site. I ordered some stuff in HockeyMonkey, and orignally it costed me USD$140 for 3 days shipping. Thinking that Bongo may offer cheaper price for shippment, I paid for the membership fee and ship through Bongo. It charged me USD$210 for 3 days shipment!!!! A 40% INCREASE in the original vendor site.

Forget about the consolidation, if i ship twice in HockeyMonkey, the 2 shipment cost may well be under USD$200.

If you are looking for inexpensive shipment, dont ever think about Bongo.
    If there is no hidden cost in shipment, how can they make profit from charging you a one-time $5 membership fee? The more you ship, the more unprofitable it is to Bongo.

Angry customer in Bongo, Dec 14, 2011 IP
  14. dolarski

dolarski Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Awwww I wish I had seen this thread before, knowing especially that I am already a forum member here. I found the thread through Google after similar problems with bongous. No money stolen from me yet, but overall a very poor customer experience. They are definitely unreliable, and they already hold copies of my passport, my credit card's both sides and plenty of other confidential information about myself.

dolarski, Dec 22, 2011 IP
  15. Angry customer in Bongo

Angry customer in Bongo Peon

Best Answers:
    So, I was real mad Bongo charge me double the shipping fee displayed on the calculator. I asked for Ryan, which is the operation director.

I managed to talk to Ryan. He was nicer and more helpful than those customer service officer I talked to. He responded to my complaints quickly, within ~5-12 hrs. He also offered the price as shown on the calculator before I signed up, which is ~121 USD, taking the photos before shipping, and offered a $50US discount for my next shipment...

So it seems all ok, parcel arrived in ~3-4 working days, well handled by DHL.

My problem seemed to be solved. However, Bongo still cheated on the calculator. They havent fixed the calculator. If you input the info in Duty and Tax Calculator, they will show a super cheap price, however when your parcel is shipped to Bongo, they charged differently.

So my recommendation is, dont trust the duty and tax calculator!!
    The real charge is "length x weight x height (in inch)" / 139 OR actual weight, whichever is higher.
    U can then look at the shipping rates in Bongo website. This is the price they charge for shipping.

I hope nobody will face this unpleasant experience I had with Bongo, and not reading this only to find out you have shared the same experience with me...

Angry customer in Bongo, Dec 23, 2011 IP
  16. jb0001

jb0001 Peon

Best Answers:
    Does anyone know of any other freight forwarders for European countires, specifically Italy (shipping to Australia) other than Bongo?
    I've searched everywhere and can find FF's in Germany and the UK but nothing in Italy. Surely there has to be someone out there offering this service..?
    Obviously I'm more than a little reluctant in joing up with Bongo, but for what I'm wanting to purchase there doesn't seem to be many options.
    Has anyone used Bongo in Europe? Have they experienced the same problems as the US?
    Thanks

jb0001, Feb 7, 2012 IP
  17. dolarski

dolarski Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    dolarski, Feb 8, 2012 IP
  18. GeorgiePorgy

GeorgiePorgy Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The drop box can be had for $2 for a lot of places, it's the shipping that will net you $100 on pretty much anything. This is why Russia can exploit Baltic countries with crappy stuff like Acme and Phillips brands..

GeorgiePorgy, Feb 8, 2012 IP
  19. jb0001

jb0001 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks I'll try her. But from reading the services she provides this looks closer to 'mail' forwarding as apposed to freight. In some cases there may be over a pallet worth of items. Anyhow can't hurt to ask..

jb0001, Feb 8, 2012 IP
  20. jb0001

jb0001 Peon

Best Answers:
    I probably should have said in my first post that some items may be quite large, maybe a pallet worth of stock. If by drop box you mean somthing like a FedEx drop box this obviously won't work. Thanks anyway

(Hmm, not sure what that drop box link was meant for? Some pc backup site..?)

jb0001, Feb 8, 2012 IP