1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to get listed in Dmoz

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by seo4me, Feb 3, 2012.

1. jvfconsulting

jvfconsulting Active Member

Best Answers:
    Once you get your site listed on DMOZ be prepared for your meta tags to get whacked by Google. You will need to inject the NODMOZ metatag

jvfconsulting, Feb 6, 2012 IP
  2. Tippfein

Tippfein Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It's not easy to get listed in DMOZ, especially if you submit to a category which has already many sites. Try finding an appropriate category with just a few listings (start from REGIONAL).

Tippfein, Feb 6, 2012 IP
  3. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    There is no way of knowing when, who, how, why or what your site will get listed, and any and all tips are just guessing. A site can sit in a category with only three listings for 10 years, or it could get added to a category with 500 listings in three days. There is simply no answer that is correct when it will get listed other then 'maybe or maybe not' good/original content is not even an indication that your site will get listed...

Only if your site has a mailing address, or is otherwise brick and mortar.

Qryztufre, Feb 8, 2012 IP
  4. photofox

photofox Active Member

Best Answers:
    That is incorrect. I suggest you read http://www.dmoz.org/guidelines/regional/

photofox, Feb 8, 2012 IP
  5. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That comment right there from an editor of ODP is exactly the reason why the project is a failure.

There is no system, there is no criteria, there is no methodology.

The ODP is just a list of websites, you could write a script that could compile a similar list in a few days.
    It has no quality criteria, it has no inclusion criteria, it has no methodology. Just a group of rag tag people sticking random sites into a list.

joeventura, Feb 9, 2012 IP
  6. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You missed the news, Google does not care about DMOZ anymore. You are not getting listed and your meta tags aren't getting "whacked"

joeventura, Feb 9, 2012 IP
  7. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

I stand corrected, everyone if you are looking for a quick way into the ODP, try finding an appropriate category with just a few listings (start from REGIONAL).

Qryztufre, Feb 9, 2012 IP
  8. photofox

photofox Active Member

Best Answers:
    Please don't twist my words. You implied that to be listed in the Regional branch, the website had to have an address or otherwise be brick and mortar which is incorrect. There are many websites listed in Regional that do not have an address or brick and mortar presence. I pointed you to the guidelines since you clearly don't understand how the Regional branch works.

photofox, Feb 9, 2012 IP
  9. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    I find it odd that editors single out my posts, reply to them, yet leave the rest of the thread, and even what I am replying too unanswered only to open the door to more confusion. Hey, I can't be right all the time, and it's good that you point out when I am wrong... but could you PLEASE clarify the actual issue/question at hand when you try to make me look bad?

Yet you failed to address what I replied to, which implied that they were correct... so sorry for the confusion.

But to clear things up, should people start looking for their category in regional or not, as that is really what our discussion is all about, yet you've failed to actually address thus far. The way I see it, MOST sites do not fit in regional, as most sites are not specific to a region... the best place to start in my opinion would be the topic of the site, as that is where it would best fit, then possibly again in regional...

Qryztufre, Feb 10, 2012 IP
  10. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What utter rubbish - but not surprising I guess.

There's just so much fairyland bollocks talked in these threads, most of which has already been responded to over the years. That a DMOZ editor can't be bothered to respond yet again to a piece of nonsense doesn't make it true. I thought Q was smarter than to draw such an illogical conclusion.

I hadn't realised that Q is allowed to set a forum rule that any poster must respond to all previous posts in a thread. I expect the mods have given him the credentials to do that somewhere but I can't find them.

jimnoble, Feb 10, 2012 IP
  11. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Nice Jim... yeah, yeah, keep it on me.

IF once again, I was wrong, and no one bothers to correct the person I was replying too, then by rights, that person is CORRECT, as TWO editors now are not bothering to disagree, then it must be that the person I replied to is correct and that it would be in the submitters best interest to start in the regional categories when looking for the best place to suggest their site.

And no, I am not making up a forum rule, just following common netiquette. If you are going to be in a conversation, then be a part of the ENTIRE conversation, failing that, at least the entire part of what you are replying too, which includes the post I quoted when I was quoted. If you disagree, then fine, that'll just show the rest of the folks reading this thread that editors of the ODP don't really care what is going on so long as they can make someone lookbad... it's sad that ya'll don't try harder to make the ODP look good *rolls eyes* So come on... stop making threads about ME, that is what is truly getting old here.

Again, I will say, if you are looking for a quick way into the ODP, try finding an appropriate category with just a few listings (start from REGIONAL).

Now I ask is that a correct statement?

And was it really all that hard of a question to answer? An answer that could have happened POSTS AGO rather then carrying on about me? I swear to the gods, editors would rather discuss me then the ODP here in the ODP forum. Silly at best, but look at the threads, it's certainly true...

Qryztufre, Feb 10, 2012 IP
  12. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Q demands that I comment on that statement but I can't because I'm not aware of any statistics on the subject. Either he is, in which case please could he share, or he's just muddying the waters again with guesswork. There's already enough of that around here already without somebody who claims to understand ODP adding more.

@Q: I tired of your opinions masquerading as facts and your barrack room lawyerism years ago. You might think that they add to your stature here but they don't actually help anybody and can be positively misleading. Sadly, I believe that you already know and relish that. I have your posts blocked by default but, just occasionally, I'm tempted to read one of them. I'm rarely surprised by its content :(.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
    jimnoble, Feb 10, 2012 IP
  13. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    There now, was that all that hard? Would this thread of been better had that been done to begin with? Yeah, yeah, I got it wrong... but rather then just saying I got it wrong, with something that was potentially wrong as well that I was replying to left out there, don't ya think, just maybe, that by not only correcting me, but also correcting the other statement which was not based on any known facts made this thread actually worthy of being read, rather then just resorting to make one of the two wrong posters look bad while leaving the other one looking potentially correct?

Yeah, didn't think so either... it's a LOT more fun the poke at me as a means to derail a thread rather then to actually discuss the thread at hand...

could have all ended in one post, but now... getting information and answers out of editors takes 10! By the looks of things editors would rather jump in and say people are wrong and make them look bad, then actually give any type of helpful information. They would rather drag a conversation out post after post after post rather then say "hey, there is nothing to support that"... heck, even when there is something to support a comment, most editors will still say it's wrong, even if it's the guidelines themselves that are backing up a comment... but meh, thats a topic for a different thread.

And as for guess work... it was not ME that made the comment, it was someone else, and it was leaving said guesswork as fact as two editors (till now) refused to comment on it.... scroll back up, it was NOT me that made the comment.

Qryztufre, Feb 11, 2012 IP
  14. melahi

melahi Peon

Best Answers:
    I have tried several times even hired an SEO company to do it for us but still not luck in getting listed in DMOZ.

melahi, Feb 13, 2012 IP
  15. uang

uang Member

Best Answers:
    wow many information for Dmoz :)
    I've tried the last 5 months and not approve ;8(

uang, Feb 13, 2012 IP
  16. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I trust that does not mean that you have suggested your site several times, that will at best disadvantage it and can get it banned as spam.

Anonymously, Feb 14, 2012 IP
  17. edvvardbrian

edvvardbrian Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, they are still accepting new listings, but their editors are VERY subjective and they may or may not accept a listing based on their sole discretion. But I wouldn't worry too much about it, it's not the only directory in the world. You can still succeed if you don't have a link from them.

edvvardbrian, Feb 15, 2012 IP
  18. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Search engines stopped looking at meta tags at least 12 years ago. Remember AltaVista?

helleborine, Feb 19, 2012 IP
  19. @Gyanguru

@Gyanguru Peon

Best Answers:
    Yup, search engines do not look into meta tags any more, they have developed much more sophisticated techniques to index pages. Coming to getting listed in Dmoz the steps mentioned above are very useful, one thing I would like to add here do not pay anyone to get listed on DMOZ, many SEO companies charge for getting listed in DMOZ which nothing but waste of money.

@Gyanguru, Feb 26, 2012 IP
  20. tulangkering

tulangkering Peon

Best Answers:
    same with me dud.... i have submitted 5 webistes.....,,but until no.... no one had accpeted...

tulangkering, Feb 28, 2012 IP