1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Knowing if your idea is good

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Exade, Jan 23, 2012.

I recently had an idea for a new website and I have been looking into starting it up. Obviously I do not want to throw money at it if there is really not a chance of it growing. I am curious to know if there is any steps that you take when thinking about starting up a brand new site to see if it will succeed. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Exade

Exade, Jan 23, 2012 IP
  2. Icecube_media

Icecube_media Peon

Best Answers:
    HI
    start with social networking websites, and forum , social bookmarking , directories, and blogs. this can help in promotion and free to.

Icecube_media, Jan 24, 2012 IP
  3. Exade

Exade Peon

Best Answers:
    I am talking about stuff people do prior to actually getting the website up and running. I just want to make sure that I am not putting out money for no reason. Want to make sure it at least has some chance of success.

Exade, Jan 24, 2012 IP
  4. nicelife

nicelife Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Exade,

What you're asking for it's called a Business plan and a Marketing plan, those are well structured processes that real successful companies follow (online too), look for some books about it. You need to write down all the things you want to do with your business idea, how big you want to be and how many people do you want to reach. Then write HOW you're doing to do that. Every step. Be confident.

I hope you find this useful :)

nicelife, Jan 29, 2012 IP
  5. jhardy2008

jhardy2008 Peon

Best Answers:
    Start your website on CMS.

jhardy2008, Jan 30, 2012 IP
  6. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    What the heck does that have to do with what the OP asked?

You could start a PPC campaign to see if it has potential before committing more time to the project.

dcristo, Jan 30, 2012 IP
  7. Kate-Oranum

Kate-Oranum Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I have to agree - I would do a mini research and see what is HOT right now and with what product can you create a Buzz - better to go from there then just creating something.

Kate-Oranum, Jan 31, 2012 IP
  8. sweetcrabhoney18

sweetcrabhoney18 Banned

Best Answers:
    I'd go with a survey if you want to know if there is market for the idea. Otherwise you can go with the normal keyword research and see if the topic is searched enough and how great your competition it. Still you can't find out if an idea will work until you really start doing it. Best of luck!

sweetcrabhoney18, Jan 31, 2012 IP
  9. alanemkay

alanemkay Peon

Best Answers:
    also you should try classified site..

alanemkay, Jan 31, 2012 IP
  10. jamesrenrut

jamesrenrut Peon

Best Answers:
    starting a business requires a plan.. business plan... if you happen don't know exactly what to do.. what I suggest is gather some information through reading on the business that you want to have.... since it is an online business... better read some resources available on the internet for you to have an idea about the workflow on the cloud... good luck to your business...

jamesrenrut, Feb 1, 2012 IP
  11. eric_wahlberg

eric_wahlberg Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Go in that field in which you are comfortable and think you can establish yourself.

Write down a paper mentioning your likes and dislikes, what you want to do, where would you see yourself 10 years down the line questions like that.

Answering these kind of questions can really help you in what exactly you want,what is your goal and how to achieve it.

eric_wahlberg, Feb 1, 2012 IP
  12. ARJacob

ARJacob Peon

Best Answers:
    Hai,There is not an instrument yet to test whether one's idea is good or bad! When it comes to opening a website, you try to acquire as much information as possible about the content, technicalities etc, refine it, fine tune it and present it the best way possible , update your website regularly and keep your fingers crossed!CheersARJacob

ARJacob, Feb 1, 2012 IP
  13. nelson1234

nelson1234 Peon

Best Answers:
    Forum posting and blog commenting

nelson1234, Feb 1, 2012 IP
  14. Kate-Oranum

Kate-Oranum Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Really - forum posting? do you think that it works for affiliate recruitment as well?

Kate-Oranum, Feb 1, 2012 IP
  15. yelax

yelax Peon

Best Answers:
    Spend more time on research. The more you learn about the niche, the less likely you are to make mistakes. Hence, the less risk you take and the more money you will make. Tons of info on the Internet. Just dig deep.

yelax, Feb 1, 2012 IP
  16. elitebag

elitebag Peon

Best Answers:
    I also have a website and do SEO for myself which can invest less but need pay much time on it.It is a good choice for someone who don't want to risk.

elitebag, Feb 1, 2012 IP
  17. webexpert2u

webexpert2u Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Starting a website is not a big task but before starting it, you must be very much clear about reason and purpose of this startup. There are some basic points which you can take into account while developing the new website:
    1) The purpose: What would be the model of the website, providing information about products and services or an e-commerce, shopping site populated with shopping carts and secure authentication technology.
    2) What would be the target audiance (Segmented age groups, genders, geographical constraints), Industry and most importantly uniqueness in services or products which your website will provide as compared to other folks already serving in that domain.
    3) Mode of revenue generation (Advertiesment, Affilate programmes or Lead generation)

So these basic steps may give you a clearer insight about which type of website you can start (Blog, Forum, Review or Shopping). Apart from the type of web property, it can help you to decide several other things which are mandatory for a website like:
    1) Web development platform and environment (Programming language, Hosting & Servers)
    2) Content or data sourcing from different resources
    3) Manpower required for web development and it's promotion.
    4) Analysis and iterative implementation

So start your website by keeping these points as a suggestion and rock the world

webexpert2u, Feb 2, 2012 IP
  18. solar44

solar44 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Set up a prototype and try your concept with a few beta testers. You can adapt and iterate at a fast pace and open up to the public if your initial tests are successful.

solar44, Feb 7, 2012 IP
  19. jeffbeer

jeffbeer Member

Best Answers:
    Some good points have already been made, but IMO you have to make a plan and test your business plan before you go all-in. Get a sample base of customers or members. Get the results and make adjustments wherever needed... Or if the test failed reevaluate your business plan. It's as basic as that.

Example, food businesses hustle their products through taste testing samples and surveys.

Also, an idea may be bad now, but good years from now...just food for thought. :)

jeffbeer, Feb 8, 2012 IP
  20. daddy03

daddy03 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I agree a business plan is the best way to go.
    Another suggestion is to go to keywordspy.com and enter some keywords. While it does not replace market research it may give you an idea of how competitive the space is, who is paying to advertise and how much they are paying.

daddy03, Feb 9, 2012 IP