1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SERP manipulation theory.

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by bizhobby, Nov 10, 2006.

My theory is that Google is paying a lot more attention on organic search clicks for each phrase. You know that they now track click-through.

The question is... what happens if we start manipulating the clickthroughs in some sort of a click exchange program where everyone enters keyword + the site that they want to move up (suppose the requirement is that such site is in the top 100) and also spend time on the result page.

Could that work? Do you think this is going to affect the results?

bizhobby, Nov 10, 2006 IP
  2. Diablos

Diablos Guest

Best Answers:
    Interesting theory but the manipulation simply won't work, they will know if all of a sudden a selection of sites surge up in clickthroughs via a paticlaur search/keyword/search method.
    I think we will always be moving towards search engines having very few, if any holes in their ranking techniques from now onwards.

Diablos, Nov 10, 2006 IP
  3. itsme

itsme Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think they have been tracking CTR for a LONG time. I've noticed things on Yahoo! about a year ago so I'm sure Google's been on top of it for at least as long.

On to the manipulation... I don't think it's going to work. In theory it should, that's not the problem.

The problem is the math, there is no point in manipulating keywords with only a few searches... you need to manipulate the good keywords. If a keyword get's searched 5k times daily, how many times do you need to click your result to make a difference?

You also have to realise that they (probably) monitor IP, time of day, time spent on SERPs page, related searches, etc...

I'm sure you could do it with a REALLY well written script, with a lot of good logic and human like behaviour; but is it really worth it?

I think with the time and money you'd invest in this you might be better off promoting your site in other ways.

itsme, Nov 10, 2006 IP
  4. kerouac3001

kerouac3001 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, and remember that now Google knows also the number of visits that your site will receive tomorrow, 'cause he knows the traffic generated by each keyword and the traffic generated by each position in the SERP, etc..

It's easy for Google to know how many visits you'll got in the next month.

And he tracks also the visits through the Google toolbar.

kerouac3001, Nov 10, 2006 IP