1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best Features of WordPress or Joomla

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by sandz, Jan 26, 2012.

Hello to everyone!!!
    This question is part of our research in our Human Computer Interaction (HCI) where we compare WordPress and Joomla and we would really appreciate it if you would take the time to answer it.

So the question is what features of WordPress/Joomla do you like? Why?
    And what do you use WordPress/Joomla for?

For example:
    The feature that I like is the WordPress Themes that it offers because it's easy to customized the page. I use it for blogging.

THANKS in advance!!! :)

sandz, Jan 26, 2012 IP
  2. creativewebmaster

creativewebmaster Active Member

Best Answers:
    Both has great features.

creativewebmaster, Jan 27, 2012 IP
  3. popartns

popartns Member

Best Answers:
    Well Wordpress is based on HTML/CSS/PHP and it is very easy to modify even themes, plugins, pages. On Joomla that is not possible because of usage of their own language. Also on Wordpress you have Frameworks which are bare themes ready for customization. Then number of plugins is way better for Wordpress than for Joomla. Ease of installation is another Wordpress advantage.

popartns, Jan 27, 2012 IP
  4. FizixRichard

FizixRichard Peon

Best Answers:
    Firstly, I don't see much value in a WordPress and Joomla comparison, they are completely different animals and I wouldn't go for an outright comparison as I don't think its that useful to do.

As popartns has said, Wordpress is easy to install, use and modify and it has a broad selection of plugins available for it.

Some advantages of WP:
    - It's easy to install
    - It's really easy to use, requires no training, aimed at the end user. So your typical user can pick it up and use it.
    - It has a good content pipeline and workflow
    - It's very easy to edit the theme, create your own or install ones you have grabbed from the net
    - The code base is straight forward so creating your own plugins is fairly straight forward

Some disadvantages
    - It doesn't have a broad feature set (but its not supposed to so whether that's an advantage of disadvantage is circumstantial)
    - It doesn't have a template engine so there is PHP and HTML interspersed together which to me, is a disadvantage
    - To get it beyond a simple blog and very basic CMS requires plugins and that can introduce problems

Joomla, some advantages:
    - It's free
    - It has a broader range of features out of the box than WordPress
    - There are a lot of plugins for it, WP has more though
    - You can just install new themes from the net

Some Joomla disadvantages (I've already had a bit of a go at Joomla today so I'll go easy on it):
    - The template system is... well it doesn't really have one and what it does have is horrid. It's one of those systems with HTML and PHP interspersed and with the size of the code base, its a really bad thing.

- It is massively over complicated for the end user and the content creation pipeline and workflow is convoluted which means your average user is going to need training and will probably always feel that they are using a complicated "technical application" and its going to take longer to do tasks. This is one of the worst aspects of Joomla, which is the "easy solution, for beginners".

- The code base doesn't flow elegantly and isn't self describing, this is a running theme with Joomla (see the UI and template system)

- It has security issues and performance isn't great

FizixRichard, Jan 27, 2012 IP
  5. jhony king

jhony king Member

Best Answers:
    Nice sharing.Thanks for sharing it is helpful for me...:)

jhony king, Jan 27, 2012 IP
  6. zubizubi

zubizubi Active Member

Best Answers:
    Joomla is nice for websites while wordpress for blogs. Moreover the pages of wordpress gets indexed very fast.

zubizubi, Jan 27, 2012 IP
  7. designindia

designindia Peon

Best Answers:
    Joomla Pluses:

1) Ungodly amount of plugins and modules that will do absolutely anything you want to do.

2) Despite what people tell you, it is very easy to work with. Seriously, this is what it is: Log in, and your first two options are "add article" or "manage articles." Click on the "add article" button to ... well, add an article (or "page" if you'd rather think of it that way). Or click on "manage articles" ... and amazingly enough, a list of articles appears. You click on the one you want to edit ... do your thing, and hit "save."

If you or your client can't figure that much out, then please .... kill yourself now (please don't -- I'm only joking).

designindia, Feb 21, 2012 IP
  8. templates2011

templates2011 Peon

Best Answers:
    wordpress is the best while joomla. wordpress is easy to customize

templates2011, Feb 23, 2012 IP