1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Vbulltin vs IP board

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by jaydenblair, Oct 28, 2011.

Okay so every where I look its even, 1 website says VB another says IP board I even tried using
    http://www.forum-software.org/ten-questions-guide-to-choose-the-best-forum-software
    and it came up with 2 matches (see screen shot)
    i would like a forum software where i can charge for subscription and easily found on Google, plus I would like it to be so easy to use that a 6 year old would have no problem finding something on there.
    Money is not an issue as well I can afford both.
    thanks for your help

Attached Files:

jaydenblair, Oct 28, 2011 IP
  2. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Out of the box, I do not think that IPB can do that... you need a shop addon or some such... but if you are planing on having a shop, that is CERTAINLY the way to go! And if money is no issue, then the official addons for IPB are FAR better then that offered by vB. Not to mention, that even with several of the paid addons for IPB you'll run far less resources then you would with just the stock vB (VB 4 is a resource hog).

Xenforo is up & coming, and may not be on that forum list yet. They are someone you may wish to look into, as they are pretty good from what I've seen/heard.

Qryztufre, Oct 30, 2011 IP
  3. sambling

sambling Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Either are pretty good. IPB is supposedly slower in their admin panel.

sambling, Oct 30, 2011 IP
  4. InFiNiTy™

InFiNiTy™ Active Member

Best Answers:
    IPB is the best forum software ever. vBulletin is known to get hacked easily. Also, IPB has everything you need. Just check out: Neowin.net

InFiNiTy™, Nov 1, 2011 IP
  5. dumindushalika

dumindushalika Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know which one suit for you because I am currently using free forum scripts for my forums. But I should say all favorite forums that I have registered are made by vBulletin.
    when I search for something in Google, most of the forums ranked in first result page are made by vBulletin. Hmmm.. well.. if you want to make a popular forum, I prefer vBulletin.

dumindushalika, Nov 2, 2011 IP
  6. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    vB4 has really taken a turn for the worse, making IPB a bit better on the who's who list. So while vBulletin is certainly the popular choice, it's no longer the best one, at least IMHO.

Qryztufre, Nov 2, 2011 IP
  7. gallitin

gallitin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've had forums on SMF, vBulletin and IPB. vBulletin used to be my favorite, but the past few years I have not used anything but IPB.

gallitin, Nov 15, 2011 IP
  8. !bc

!bc Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are willing to pay VB it my favourite. It has robust features, its quick, and userfriendly.

It’s the application that others try to copy from IMO.

!bc, Jan 16, 2012 IP
  9. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

That has always been the case up till now... now they are using adding things that other boards have had for years, especially IPS.

Qryztufre, Jan 16, 2012 IP
  10. MarTh-

MarTh- Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What wrong with new VB? VB has been on top for so long, why do you think they are falling off?

MarTh-, Jan 16, 2012 IP
  11. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Its buggier and slower since Internet brands took over. Out of the box on a bigger forum it needs tweaking to run fast(er). Customer service now is no longer top notch. Most of the original staff left due to IB's business practices.

I've had to change things in my skins several times because they have changed the names of things back and forth between upgrades even... so they can not even make up their minds as to what they want to call things.

Qryztufre, Jan 17, 2012 IP
  12. McCoyH

McCoyH Member

Best Answers:
    vBulletin hands down.
    Editing templates in IPB is just retarded.
    vB is more professional.

McCoyH, Jan 19, 2012 IP
  13. ceekeigh

ceekeigh Peon

Best Answers:
    I would go with vBulletin if I were you. It's user-friendly.

ceekeigh, Jan 19, 2012 IP
  14. kruzzen

kruzzen Guest

Best Answers:
    I myself like vb more. That is mainly because I find the ACP more user-friendly :) However, one thing I like about IPB is in the ACP, addons/modifications are arranged better. That is my main thing with a forum software ACP, I desire a way to separate modification from the default settings. It makes it easier for me to know what is a part of the software and what I have added via-third party. While I have not seen this myself, some people say that IPB is a resource hog more than most forum software... so if there is any proof to that, that might be something to take into consideration :)

kruzzen, Jan 20, 2012 IP
  15. cjvj

cjvj Peon

Best Answers:
    I think its mostly personal preference, obviously there are some differences between forum software and different approaches by the developers. However they both achieve the same thing (an online forum) and have broadly the same features. Try both out (use the free trials provided) and see which one you prefer. For me, I've always used IPB so its what I find easiest to use and modify for my needs.

cjvj, Jan 20, 2012 IP
  16. MarTh-

MarTh- Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Most top traffic forums are VB but IP board's interface and functionality is very good. From what I know VB is very expensive but worth it.

MarTh-, Jan 21, 2012 IP
  17. yadavs

yadavs Peon

Best Answers:
    i always prefer VB for my forum, it cost me but i can rank better than other forums with other forum scripts my second option is IP board.

yadavs, Jan 21, 2012 IP
  18. kruzzen

kruzzen Guest

Best Answers:
    There are quite a bit of high traffic forums ran by free software too :D

How does a premium software make your forum rank higher? That doesn't make any sense whatsoever :-|

kruzzen, Jan 21, 2012 IP
  19. interserver

interserver Peon

Best Answers:
    I personally like IPB but there is no doubt that vbulleting is more used.. I like the way ipb looks and feels..

interserver, Jan 24, 2012 IP
  20. infeeneety

infeeneety Guest

Best Answers:
    Personally, I like IP. Board more. The claim of Internet Brands to Xenforo makes no sense.

So, if possible, I'll try to dismiss them.

infeeneety, Jan 26, 2012 IP