1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best Admin Forum

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by sambling, Nov 5, 2011.

1. dice kid

dice kid Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the kind words guys. Shawn that is a great way to go about things, I see too many forums so wrapped up in competing to be the best that they lose track of why they even started their forum.

dice kid, Dec 24, 2011 IP
  2. Medora

Medora Peon

Best Answers:
    ShadyX—

Hi.

As you know, I am an administrator at TAZ, and it is for that reason you private messaged me at another forum to inform me about the incident you allude to above. In the PM, you mentioned two TAZ staff members, one of whom was a Reviewer, the other a Review Team Leader. You said that the Reviewer was spamming your forum. As for the RTL, you said he did not cause trouble, but suspected he joined your forum to defend the Reviewer's actions after you disciplined him.

The Reviewer and RTL were already disciplined by a fellow administrator before you sent the PM, but prompted by your PM I got into contact with the RTL and the fellow administrator to understand what was going on and make sure sufficient action was taken. I was especially alarmed that the RTL may have been considering following in the Reviewer's footsteps since he was on the team for months and I was familiar with him. However, I was not familiar with the Reviewer, who recently obtained his position, and felt compelled to step down after confronted by an administrator.

If there was a third TAZ staff member involved, please let me know, as he should be disciplined, too.

I hope your forum has since not been the recipient of rude behavior by a staff member of TAZ.

As for my reply here, from reading the part of your post quoted above I was alarmed that I may have misunderstood what happened, and so as witness to the event (if indeed the one you speak of is the one I am thinking of) want to make sure I am correct in my understanding of it. (Perhaps you speak of a different incident, in which case that means TAZ staff spammed your forum twice?) If I am incorrect, I should very much like correct information in case insufficient action was taken in response to the spamming of your forum, and to help in preventing it ever happening again. Lastly, as I have been a member of your forum for months, I am concerned that you may have mistakenly lumped me in in the part of your post quoted above.

Regards,
    Kevin

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
    Medora, Dec 26, 2011 IP
  3. dice kid

dice kid Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Kevin,

It seems I made a mistake, I apologize for any confusion.

It was only 2 staff members of TAZ that caused trouble on my fourm that day, One spammed TAZ links across our board and then started fights with our staff and members while the other one (The RTL) joined up and watched everything the other was doing. He didn't cause any trouble or break any rules but he did seem to join our forum in support of the other TAZ staff member and we had to watch both of them until they left incase they spammed or caused more trouble. They were online for a few hours and I had to call all staff members in to watch them, Multiple posts had to be removed/moderated and countless PM's were sent to both of the users reminding them of the rules and that we watching their every move. That is not the only issue I have with TAZ, though I won't go into further detail.

I have no issues with you personally and you have been a great member of our forum for many months, you are welcome back any time you like. :)

dice kid, Dec 27, 2011 IP
  4. sambling

sambling Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Just to sum up the thread- now that I don't have a ban on me :(- I would rate the admin forums in this order:

1st: www.anotheradminforum.com, www.adminforums.org
    2nd: www.adminpeak.com, www.adminshut.com
    5th: www.adminaddict.net
    6th: www.admin-talk.com
    7th: www.theadminzone.com

Other: http://admincentralforums.com/- I don't have a strong opinion on it.

That doesn't mean you can't get great small admin forums though. I wouldn't recommend www.admintalk.net, when they're back up unless significant changes occur. However there is also www.theadminshack.com, which is based on a custom forum software.

As for the reasoning behind my ratings:

AnotherAdminForum: I would rate this forum highly because of the competence of it's owner, who has good suggestions and creates interesting discussions. The owner also doesn't mind competitive forums advertising on AAF- showing openness. There are some great members on AAF who're really good and know what they're talking about.

AdminForums.org: I rated this 1st = because it is a good sized forum, and is probably a good default option for most admins. The owner is active on other communities and seems knowledgeable and nice.

Adminpeak.com: This is an amalgamation of three sites. The owner is knowledgeable and is even trying to create his own forum software. Themes are offered freely on AdminPeak and great competitions are run.

Adminshut.com: A younger but quite capable admin runs this site. It has just over 10K posts and is well worth a visit.

Adminaddict.net: A reasonable admin forum, which only suffers in my rating because of a lack of activity.

Admin-talk.com: Unfortunately for this forum, I have found the owner arrogant when replying on other forums. He also is very anti-competitive. When someone set up admintalk.net he basically replied that they didn't stand a chance because the forum name was so similar and google would rank his forum higher. The owners of the forums I have ranked above this one would never say something like that. Of course, lurking through the forum he seems reasonable there and knowledgeable.

TAZ: TheAdminZone is rated 7th for a one main reason: the owner is anti-competitive. Whilst I was asking for moderators for a general forum, one of the replies via PM was asking why I didn't run the site on SMF instead of Mybb. I replied I ran an admin forum forumzadmin.com, which was on SMF and that I ran the general forum on Mybb to gain experience and try different softwares. My PM was obviously read and the link edited to say idontthinkso.com.

Anyway, there it is.

sambling, Jan 6, 2012 IP
  5. Darthmaul

Darthmaul Member

Best Answers:
    Well well, this certainly is an interesting topic!

Before I go on though, I want to mention I am staff at Admin Forums, but that won't be affecting my opinion. Also, I have had some previously bad engagements with Shawn(AAF Owner), which have been resolved. Again, this will not affect my opinion.

Anywho: I have been around long enough to see a good solid bit of forums come and go, and I have to say that the main forums outlined here do have the highest ratings, in my mind, out of the remaining "reputable" admin forums.

First off, let's discuss Admin Forums. AF is an awesome community of administrators run by an amazing dude. Shady is a great guy to work under too, constantly making you feel good for working there. However, even if I didn't work there, it would still be the best in my opinion. Why? Well, AF has quality content being posted daily that warrants nice and quality replies and discussion. Plus, shady constantly updates the theme and other features that AF has to offer. Certainly one of my favorite forums, and is good enough to be #2 on my bookmarks ;)

Now, for AdminsHut. ZINC is a personal friend, and I really like his forum. It's going very well, and I hear of big plans in the near future. They have great steady content, and the forum is comfortable in terms of style, to post on. I never get attacked there, and it's just overall welcoming. Only a couple things I can really point out: The style could use some work, the services make it look like a promotion forum, and some of the posts could be expanded upon a bit. Overall, worthy of the #2 spot.

Finally, we come to Another Admin Forum. I have had some discussions with the owner, and I do have to say I really like the forum. I find there's constantly new posted content, and I really love the atmosphere. A couple things I could point out: Not a huge fan of SMF, never have been never will be. Although, it does look manageable in this instance. There are a few things in the style colors that could use some work, but other than that not too much to suggest ;)

Anyways, those are my top three favorite admin forums. They have earned their spot in my heart, and they will most likely stay there. As for all those TAZ haters, I cannot personally agree or disagree seeing as how I was never a member there, and I won't even attempt to make an opinionated post without being informed.

So, hope you enjoyed reading about my personal preferences. Please feel free to point out things or debate with me; always in the mood for that :D

Darthmaul, Jan 9, 2012 IP
  6. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry man (I thought I already posted this)
    but I quoted the wrong person, it should of been the spud person above your post that was caught copying content.
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=2322167#post16976852

We welcome all competion, if there are rules stating otherwise it's from the old owner and haven't been updated or seen yet. (please point them out if you see them, we'll change them)

I don't mind other admin forum owners posting or being active on www.Admin-Talk.com and actually encourange it. Our forum, like many others listed here, is just there to help those who want the help. We don't descriminate against anyone, no matter what forums they my run or be a part of.

There is enough room for everyone :)

Not sure where you're getting your info from but I'm not anti-competitive. I may be "arrogant" but I have a good reason to, I do actually know what I'm doing and have been doing a good job at it for almost a decade. ;)
    Also I didn't say spud didn't stand a chance, feel free to read over my reply again. (I'd link right to the post but I don't know how to on PHPbb, here is the page, about half way down)
    http://forumpromotion.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80581&start=15
    I told him this..

Which is all completely true, and goes back to my first reply on this thread when I quoted the wrong person. ;)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
    Brandon Sheley, Jan 13, 2012 IP
  7. ForgottenCreature

ForgottenCreature Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The owner is very nice and I've been working for quite some time now, and dedication shows. The admintalk.net doesn't really concern us because it won't beat us at our game - of being webmasters, and providing quality content to our community.

What TAZ staff members were these? I used to work for TAZ and I've never seen any of their staff members do this. Did you take it up with the head administrators or anything as to what happened? Because if it was those TAZ staff members, I'm pretty sure they shouldn't still be on staff.

Spamming is wrong, and not allowing competitors to post is also a sign of dictarshop, which is why I chose to work for http://www.admin-talk.com/ now and we provide quality content to our fellow administrators.

Like this article: What makes a good community? and really we're in the business to help other forum administrators succeed and flourish. And we welcome all competitors, because it helps the community grow - in tense of family atmosphere and sharing content. There's nothin wrong with all the admin forums on the web - I just wish there wasn't so many, why? Some could be merged with the bigger ones, and thus; creating a bigger community.

And I also see the point of TAZ censoring competitor links as they're one of the biggest on the web - and really, they don't want anyone stepping on their toes and trying to take their members, that's why, you don't focus on TAZ or worrying about them, you focus on uproaring your community to become bigger and better.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
    ForgottenCreature, Jan 13, 2012 IP
  8. sambling

Best Answers:
    I am sure you are very knowledgeable (as I said), I suppose it wasn't that arrogant, looking at your reply again. :) I don't really like how Spudster went about making AdminTalk.net.....

I think I figured out why I have had this dislike of you "Sorry man (I thought I already posted this)
    but I quoted the wrong person, it should of been the spud person above your post that was caught copying content." :)

So that's now sorted, and I would be happy to revise my final statement on your website.

@ForgottenCreature

If the current owner of AdminTalk.net stays, you have nothing of concern.

As for TAZ censoring, that's fine on their website BUT they read my PM and I wasn't advertising my admin forum at all at the time, I was in fact after a mod for my general forum.

sambling, Jan 14, 2012 IP
  9. sambling

Best Answers:
    Damm, I can't edit it

Post #44 Should have Admin-Talk.com at 5th not 6th. Revision about the owner, a little too anti-competitive but very knowledgeable with well thought out replies.

10. ForgottenCreature

ForgottenCreature Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Of course, there is no concern for the AdminTalk.net owner. He's already been called out for copying content from others - and also, Admin-talk.com already has site-links and a ton of backlinks. The user base has been growing ever since Brandon brought it out. It's just been a few months since he brought it out and the future is looking bright.

And also, thanks, for the rating it means a lot.

ForgottenCreature, Jan 14, 2012 IP
    Brandon Sheley likes this.
  11. sambling

Best Answers:
    No problem, it is definitely an admin forum worth checking out.....

12. kruzzen

kruzzen Guest

Best Answers:
    Can't we all just get along ;)

-Shawn Gossman

kruzzen, Jan 15, 2012 IP
  13. karoshio

karoshio Active Member

Best Answers:

Thank you. :)
    That's definitely what I love to hear.

karoshio, Jan 22, 2012 IP
  14. sambling

Best Answers:
    :) No problem, great admin forum- I hear you are going to have another competition running with a Xenforo license as the prize!

sambling, Jan 22, 2012 IP
  15. kruzzen

kruzzen Guest

Best Answers:
    I am a big fan of the Peak ;)

kruzzen, Jan 23, 2012 IP
  16. ForumBB

ForumBB Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    ForumBB, Feb 2, 2012 IP
  17. dice kid

dice kid Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the reccomendation ;)

dice kid, Feb 2, 2012 IP
  18. Stroh

Stroh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I was on a site called AdminBB then I guess it turned into Admin Talk. Just went back to it and it seems alright.

Stroh, Feb 6, 2012 IP
  19. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    The AdminBB URL was stolen and the person running it now just scrapped a computer site called
    http://www.abxzone.com/forums/
    to get all their content
    that URL is now a joke, the new owner doesn't care about running a quality site.

The old AdminBB content is at Admin Talk and that's the only site running that content.

Brandon Sheley, Feb 7, 2012 IP
  20. sambling

Best Answers:
    Thats a bit nasty... :(

sambling, Feb 8, 2012 IP