1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How SOPA will affect internet businesses?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by soccerfriend, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Chronus

Chronus Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh no it's not.

Chronus, Jan 11, 2012 IP
  2. johnmoses

johnmoses Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey Chronus, You are not in the US Congress, are you? Anyways, I said ""anything like Wikileaks"". It need not necessarily be Wikileaks. US is facing enough criticism because of the content over the web. It has to somehow control and destroy the freedom of speech and SOPA is the best choice :)

johnmoses, Jan 11, 2012 IP
  3. Chronus

Chronus Peon

Best Answers:
    Not Yet... But I think the federal government really needs a lot more geeks (like me) in it.

Here's a list of other people that are seriously rallying against SOPA and PIPA:
    • Marc Andreessen, co-founder of Netscape and Andreessen Horowitz
    • Mitchell Baker, co-founder of Mozilla Firefox
    • Sergey Brin, co-founder of Google
    • Jack Dorsey, co-founder of Twitter and Square
    • Caterina Fake, co-founder of Flickr and Hunch
    • David Filo, co-founder of Yahoo!
    • Reid Hoffman, co-founder of LinkedIn
    • Arianna Huffington, co-founder of The Huffington Post
    • Chad Hurley, co-founder of YouTube
    • Brewster Kahle, founder of the Internet Archive and co-founder of Alexa Internet
    • Elon Musk, co-founder of PayPal
    • Craig Newmark, founder of craigslist
    • Pierre Omidyar, founder of eBay
    • Biz Stone, co-founder of Obvious and Twitter
    • Jimmy Wales, founder of Wikipedia and the Wikimedia Foundation
    • Evan Williams, co-founder of Blogger and Twitter
    • Jerry Yang, co-founder of Yahoo!
    You can read about it here for a clearer understanding of what's going on.
    http://www.slashgear.com/sopa-and-protect-ip-rallied-against-by-top-tier-internet-founders-16202927/

Chronus, Jan 11, 2012 IP
  4. ieronim

ieronim Peon

Best Answers:
    Hope SOPA will not pass!!!!!!

ieronim, Jan 11, 2012 IP
  5. johnmoses

johnmoses Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey Chronus, you forgot to include my name in the list. I am not in support to SOPA bro. I'm damn against it. Hope you really get into federal government. :)

johnmoses, Jan 11, 2012 IP
  6. Stroh

Stroh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Here's another site you should read, not only SOPA but PIPA also has dangerous potential it was made by ServInt's COO... http://savehosting.org/

Stroh, Jan 11, 2012 IP
  7. rohit_rocks

rohit_rocks Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    rohit_rocks, Jan 15, 2012 IP
  8. dess71

dess71 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Today on 18/1/12 Wikipedia has blacked out to raise awareness.

dess71, Jan 17, 2012 IP
  9. olddocks

olddocks Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Freedom of speech, Privacy and Internet freedom should never be controlled by governments. If one country would start to control, then every other powerful nations want a slice. Piracy is entirely different subject and it should never cross lines with net neutrality.

olddocks, Jan 18, 2012 IP
  10. Revaxmedia

Revaxmedia Member

Best Answers:
    I think it's mainly targeted from illegal downloads which is great, I can see it happening regardless of the partition.

Revaxmedia, Jan 18, 2012 IP
  11. Chronus

Chronus Peon

Best Answers:
    This is the problem we are all facing. So many people don't have any idea what it is, what it means, or how it will effect us all

Chronus, Jan 18, 2012 IP
  12. andrei10

andrei10 Member

Best Answers:
    There are facts all over the Internet about sopa. The most important thing is that sopa will affect every website from the Internet.
    Let me give you an example: if I make a photo where I mock a person(let's say Kim Kardashian) and I publish it on Digital Point Forum, if that person wants, it can close the website without further notice. She just have to use sopa law and the ICANN will shut down DP forum. Pictures are just an example, I guess sopa will go further than this. It doesn't matter what kind of website you have.
    I don't understand why dp forum admins don't say nothing regarding this issue.

andrei10, Jan 18, 2012 IP
  13. John Green

John Green Peon

Best Answers:
    After the SOPA / PIPA bill, IF passed, this forum will 99% go, gone, all you need is one mention of where you can find something not 100% copy righted and BINGO, digi point is gone, then the appeal will take months.

John Green, Jan 18, 2012 IP
  14. bogartkick

bogartkick Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not a U.S. citizen, but I truly felt it for you guys. The whole world must unite against this mess. SOPA sucks! This will lead to a "no internet freedom" mode, and it will be difficult for us to make a living in the internet. Not only the future of the internet marketers may be ruined to US citizens, but also to the rest of us around the world. Google, Wikipedia and WarriorForum today are closing their sites to protest against SOPA.

I'm surely against this, stupid idiotic politicians...you should be exiled to planet Mars by kicking their A** out! They wanna control the internet because they are "jealous" of real rich guys in the IM world.

If this happens, WE RIOT! It's the U.S. Congress vs. The World!

bogartkick, Jan 18, 2012 IP
  15. praddy

praddy Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    @bogartkick I agree with your comment. When sites like wikipedia, reddit, wordpress and joomla is protesting SOPA.I wonder why facebook haven't taken any step yet. Guys have you watched the video shared by these sites at the end of it they says...if this law gets passed an ordinary users could go to jail for 5 yrs for posting any copyrighted work or even just singing a pop song..so intimidating.:p

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
    praddy, Jan 18, 2012 IP
  16. Khaidem

Khaidem Member

Best Answers:
    Khaidem, Jan 18, 2012 IP
  17. Mike2010

Mike2010 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google Blackens Its Logo To Protest SOPA/PIPA google-sopa-logo.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
    Mike2010, Jan 18, 2012 IP
  18. olddocks

olddocks Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Agreed! But the most important question needs to be addressed? What is causing so much piracy or illegal downloads? If the movie industry quotes such exorbitant prices for to watch just 2hr movie, then that means those who cannot afford, are denied entertainment which is what the root cause of piracy etc. i sincerely think entertainment is a fundamental right to any human being, just as freedom of speech. Nobody should be denied entertainment, atleast. The prices of entertainment related, be it anything from movies to games, should drastically come down, only then piracy can be stopped. A good example would be a paying small monthly fee for entertainment includes any music/video, just like how we pay utility bills. Spending on single track of music/video is too expensive and its not a long term solution to tackle piracy.

Atleast thats what is my opinion, from a netural stance!!!

olddocks, Jan 19, 2012 IP
  19. Chronus

Chronus Peon

Best Answers:
    Why are people that don't know the implications continue to post what they "THINK" it is as though their "GUESS" is a fact?

SOPA EXAMPLE: You post a photo on Facebook of your kids sitting in the den. Some moron from the MPAA notices that in the background is a window reflecting an image of the TV. On that tv is a scene from Star Wars.
    RESULT EXAMPLE: Within 24 hours, Facebook is taken offline in the United States.

Sure, this is an extreme example, but it would be perfectly legal for this to happen just as described within the example.
    The person that posted the picture of his kids is now considered a pirate and could even go to jail... it would all be legal.
    Facebook is now labled as condoning and promoting piracy and could be instantly blocked in the USA.... it would all be legal.

Chronus, Jan 19, 2012 IP
  20. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Its not like that at all.
    You post a photo on facebook of your kids sitting in the den. The MPAA is probably not really heavily staffed and never see it, but let's just say they do. They see the tv in the background. They submit a complaint with facebook(or use some special report button), and facebook removes it.
    They would not take the whole site down.
    Basically the law gives the freedom for copy write material having a right to get it removed quickly without a process. Mustang isn't going to make stable farms blow up their facility because they think the horse on the logo is too much alike....You are getting carried away.

Could, but its not realistic.You can go to jail for jaywalking as well, but its not enforced.

In all honesty, because I don't steal content or use others (that much) I don't think it will affect me, but there are some sites that should have that control. Places like youtube are a total mess.
    The internet is much too free these days.
    -Facebook hategroups that are to get people to target individuals.
    -Youtube videos stolen like copied like crazy.
    -Wikipedia, a compilation of stolen information written by millions of unknown sources, and while they sit in the dark as non-profit the owner is selling off external sources for popular niches to get rich.
    -Wordpress allowing millions of their customers steal content using autoblogs only caring to control the revenue they get.
    -Sites like Failblog taking 1997 - 2001 videos and re-releasing them with their copyright as if it was submitted to them minutes ago.

Its out of control.

You have to keep in mind that the entertainment industry needs us. If they all went crazy going after everyone then they would get their wish. With a horrible reputation and loss of publicity it would hurt them.
    I currently own a site that is totally dedicated to a product. If this act was live and they saw it then they could easily shut me down. Why would they? I'm helping to make their product popular.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
    Laceygirl, Jan 19, 2012 IP