1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How many Forum Topics do you think is too many for the main page?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by Woodcs82, Jan 9, 2012.

How many Forum Topics do you think is too many for the main page?

i.e. - DigitalPoint Forums has 34 Forum Topics. How many do you think is too many?

Thanks,

-C
    :cool:

Woodcs82, Jan 9, 2012 IP
  2. Stingerftw

Stingerftw Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Personally I think you have too many when majority of your categories only have a few topics in them. You can have a million if you really wanted to, just make sure they're a million full categories and not a million empty ones.

Stingerftw, Jan 11, 2012 IP
  3. SolidShellSecurity

SolidShellSecurity Banned

Best Answers:
    Enough to keep animals separated from houses. No need for one for cats and dogs till you get enough traffic.

SolidShellSecurity, Jan 11, 2012 IP
  4. Woodcs82

Woodcs82 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    True, Its kinda like a Shopping mall....you can have as many "Shops" (Forum Topics) as you want, but you def. gotta keep em full. I agree with u!

-C
    :cool:

Woodcs82, Jan 11, 2012 IP
  5. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Our categories are never created unless there's ALREADY enough topics to support it that we can move in there from other areas of the forum. So yeah... empty categories are pointless.

digitalpoint, Jan 11, 2012 IP
  6. rising_sun

rising_sun Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I think no. of topics really depends on need. As DP is a big forum so they have so many topic. I also think that empty category is pointless. But I need a suggestion on how many thread is enough to open a forum for that topic?

rising_sun, Jan 12, 2012 IP
  7. Stingerftw

Stingerftw Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How many topics that you think is enough, is enough. It's entirely up to you, if it were me personally, it would depend on the size of the forum, either way I would prefer having at least 50 topics for a decent sized forum.

Stingerftw, Jan 12, 2012 IP
  8. MarTh-

MarTh- Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When you are first starting out, there's no need for lots of them. 5-6 can be plenty. The last thing you want is for your site to look like a graveyard with tons of forum sections.

MarTh-, Jan 16, 2012 IP
  9. JPC-Sabrina

JPC-Sabrina Member

Best Answers:
    I think if you are just starting out then you should keep it at ten. As the forum grows you can always add additional ones based on what you are seeing posted. Once you have established what topics are most popular then you can add new ones or even create sub categories like here on DP.

JPC-Sabrina, Jan 18, 2012 IP
  10. kruzzen

kruzzen Guest

Best Answers:
    If you mean a portal as I assume you do, I have one question... Does your forum get more new topics or new replies? Whatever gets more, I would choose that option on your portal page. The trick is, you want the reader to see more NEW STUFF than that once every now and then content :)

kruzzen, Jan 20, 2012 IP