1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

what is bad about Unlimited Web Hosting

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by bidder, Jan 10, 2012.

you may interested in to purchasing Unlimited Web Hosting or may already used them.
    What is bad behind unlimited feature?
    -some package with unlimited bandwidth

thanks.

bidder, Jan 10, 2012 IP
  2. Hostingder

Hostingder Peon

Best Answers:
    While the space and bandwidth is unlimited, big companies found another way to limit resources in shared hosting accounts if you read their terms of service you can see that they place limits on the amount of memory, and cpu that your site is allowed to consume. Hostgator places a 25% server resource limit on each shared hosting account if your site consumes 25% or more of cpu or memory on that specific server your site starts to slow down, and eventually an error 503 shows instead of your actual website on this error message it states that your site is consuming too much server resources that it's temporary unavailable until the resources are back to normal on your account.

Additionally some companies places limit on the amount of files that you're allowed to host this limitation is know as "Inodes" although space and bandwidth is unlimited but they can still stop you from hosting another single file. This limit might be a big number but the limit is still there. That's how they force users coming from a share hosting account with unlimited disk space and bandwidth to upgrade to a vps or dedicate server.

Let's face it, who would upgrade to a VPS if we really did have true unlimited space and bandwidth? There would be no need for vps, only if you were looking for more than just host your site.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
    Hostingder, Jan 10, 2012 IP
    bidder likes this.
  3. mediaprom

mediaprom Member

Best Answers:
    There is no unlimited storage behind so called "unlimited hostings". Good suggestion about this packages would be to read small text before you sign up for hosting account;)

mediaprom, Jan 10, 2012 IP
  4. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The bad thing is that "unlimited" does not exist. It's a marketing gimmick used to scam unsuspecting clients who simply don't know any better. There is no such thing as unlimited hard drives, nor is there such thing as unlimited bandwidth connections. There is always a limit somewhere.

Many people think that they can run Facebook and Youtube clones and all sorts of other huge sites off of a $1.99/mo. "unlimited" hosting account, and end up confused when their account gets suspended. Always limits somewhere.

Now you can get an unmetered bandwidth connection, particularly on a dedicated server or VPS, but that still has a limit imposed. It will be limited by the speed of the connection, i.e. 100Mbps, 1Gbps, etc.

WSWD, Jan 10, 2012 IP
  5. Hostingder

Hostingder Peon

Best Answers:
    That's not true guys, big companies really do give you unlimited disk space it only comes down to how many files your allowed to host and the server resources that you're allowed to consume. If Hostgator gives you an account with unlimited disk space and they say your allowed to host 1 million files on that account than you can have it... Make your files as big as you want, make them 100TB Each... As long as your website is not using more than the given amount of cpu or memory they shouldn't bother you. Big companies like these will never run out of space.

6. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Then that's not unlimited. ;) You're limited by the number of files. You're limited by the hard drive space in the server. You're limited by the number of hard drives you can throw into a server, etc. Do you think "big companies" like Hostgator are going to provision entire servers for clients paying $7/mo.? Perhaps they can build an entire new server, so a client can use 100TB of disk space? Not going to happen.

WSWD, Jan 10, 2012 IP
  7. Hostingder

Hostingder Peon

Best Answers:
    The space is unlimited so is the the bandwidth.. that's all my saying, as I stated in my first post hostgator does apply other limitations on your account, but not on the amount space that you're allowed to use...

Hostgator is a huge company, with a new datacenter in Brazil that country has the fastest growing economy in the world. Hostgator also has a datancenter and office building in the US. If they say the mount of space that you get is unlimited than it's because it is, they place no limitations on file sizes at all..

8. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So you're seriously going to try to tell me that for $7/mo. Hostgator will allow you to upload hundreds of terabytes worth of data? You're only kidding yourself.

Why don't you try it out. I'll even buy a month's worth of hosting over there for you. I'm willing to bet their shared servers don't even have 1 or 2TB worth of free space, and even if they did, they most certainly wouldn't allow you to use it. They're not going to install new hard drives for a client paying next to nothing, and they aren't going to let a single user saturate the bandwidth connection. You're sadly mistaken if you think they'll let you get away with that.

Not sure if you've ever built, rented, or provisioned a dedicated server, but you do realize how much a good hosting server with an enterprise-grade RAID10 array costs right? And you think some company is going to let a single client paying $5/mo. utilize the entire server's worth of resources?

WSWD, Jan 10, 2012 IP
  9. problog

problog Active Member

Best Answers:
    unlimited hosting is just a ploy from companies like hostgator to get newbies to buy the hosting package!

problog, Jan 10, 2012 IP
  10. Hostingder

Hostingder Peon

Best Answers:
    Far as I'm concerned you're the newbie here, you don't even understand what they mean by unlimited read their terms of service for better understanding or even read the comments in this thread... Trust me bud, hostgator doesn't need your 7/month.. they will be just fine without your pocket change, they aren't begging people to buy their service either I just think people like your self should start reading terms of service before talking bad about well stabled and completely reliable companies such as hostgator.

11. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Insult him all you want. How about newbies like me, who have been running a hosting business since you were just a little kid? Do you want to take me up on my offer and report your findings here or not? If you think HG is going to let you get away with it, why don't we try it out and see. :) I'll gladly pay the $7.16 to see you try to upload terabytes worth of data to their servers.

Or here's an idea. Why don't you build a nice dedicated server (not some VPS from Interserver) and give me an "unlimited" account to test things out. I'll gladly attempt to push a couple hundred terabytes worth of data to the server. We'll see how unlimited it is. ;)

WSWD, Jan 10, 2012 IP
  12. Hostingder

Hostingder Peon

Best Answers:
    Dude, I was giving an example you don't have to take everything to it's literal meanings.. check my screenshot for a quick chat with hostgator sales agent.. With that simple response from the agent he stated everything I said on all my posts.. That's all I was trying to say.

Now that's not fair, you wanna compare me to hostgator? You do realize that hostgator has thousands of servers and two different datacenters in two world class countries right? Now I wanna see you push your "terabytes worth of data" to their servers... Don't compare me or your self to hostgator dude.. don't compare anyone that has an account at digitalpoint to hostgator... nobody comes close in size or with as many customers as them..

Attached Files:

13. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Like I said, I'll pay the $7.16 if you think they're going to let you get away with "unlimited" hosting. In fact, I'm going to shoot on the low side. I say you get suspended after 100GB. I'll go 75% on that. 100% on 500GB to 1TB.

Their chat means nothing to me. They'll sell you the world in live chat, as will any other "unlimited" company. It's nothing more than a huge scam. Try it in practice and see what actually happens. :)

WSWD, Jan 10, 2012 IP
  14. Hostingder

Hostingder Peon

Best Answers:
    Alright hot stuff, I'm not going to argue with you. Your site, your words means nothing to me. The fact is that hostgator is bigger then you will ever be. Your 5GB Disk space will get you no where, specially selling host for 99 cents per month - what the heck are you earning from that?

I live in the united States, stop offering me $7.16 to pay hostgator... I don't want your money.

15. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Enough to pay myself 6-figures last fiscal year. ;)

Why not? Why not show everybody how these "unlimited" accounts work?

WSWD, Jan 10, 2012 IP
  16. Hostingder

Hostingder Peon

Best Answers:
    Good luck selling it for 99 cents... you will need 200 clients to pay for one dedicated server.. at $100/month - depending on your account type paypal keeps 3-6 percent of that... If I need to pay to prove hostgator's capabilities, I can do that my self I don't need your pocket change.By the way, is that bet still in place??

Attached Files:

17. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    $100/mo for a dedicated server for hosting? Try about 3 or 4x's that. We run quads or dual quads with 8 drive RAID10 arrays, on the majority of our shared/reseller hosting boxes. Our latest budget servers are slightly less powerful, with dual E5450's. Seeing as we deal with a lot of local businesses and our average shared hosting client spends slightly over $14/mo., we do okay. :) 16 years worth of hosting pays for a lot of servers. We actually do a lot of custom plans and quotes. The prices on our website are directed more at the "mass market" of the Internet.

I'm always up for a friendly bet. :) I say the limit will be around 100GB of disk space. Absolutely won't go over 500GB. Bandwidth...ehhhh...I'd say 1TB at the absolute most.

WSWD, Jan 10, 2012 IP
  18. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Perhaps I'll buy an account over there too in the morning. I could use it for a quick "project" I'm working on anyway.

WSWD, Jan 10, 2012 IP
  19. aydeila

aydeila Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Unlimited mean they don't count your use space.. that unlimited

aydeila, Jan 11, 2012 IP
  20. deezon

deezon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hostinger, I agree with WSWD, every web hosting company offering unlimited hosting actually do have limits. They'll limit you on the number of files and then there would be a limit on each file size. Therefore, its NOT unlimited. Try uploading a couple of TB to hostgator. Lets see what they do to you then. :)

deezon, Jan 11, 2012 IP
    wisdomtool likes this.