1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

No more DMOZ in Google! :D

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by peppy, Jan 5, 2012.

Just wanted to cheer and celebrate about this even though I was a little late to the party. Was looking through the directory checking around and noticed the little green ball links to Google were all dead links. Then I found out Google shut down their directory like last July or something: http://searchenginewatch.com/article/2096661/Google-Directory-Has-Been-Shut-Down

I'm pretty happy to hear about this, especially given the fact that I've protested on Google forums more than anyone in an attempt to split Google and DMOZ and it's finally a done deal, EXACTLY the way I hoped! It wasn't DMOZ that gave the sites listed in the directory high pagerank and special benefits, it was Google Directory that made the difference. So really, the true power has been taken away - I guess greed and corruption finally brought an end to DMOZ's blessings and power from Google...

@ Jim Noble - http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=2343979

Misconception about lazy editors eh? It's one thing about editors not logging in and disappearing, but it's another thing when YOU, Jim, are reading threads with great site suggestions and YOU are too lazy to add great sites to directory or delete dead links. I've been on the DMOZ forums and a few posts here suggesting great sites or deleting dead links. Instead, YOU give a lazy response like use the normal application form and wait 5 years instead of being a proper editor and just add the links. What else are you doing except hanging around DMOZ forums and not editing the directory that you are constantly praising...

Humble yourself and repent - Add my site (lolblackjack . com) to: http://www.dmoz.org/Games/Gambling/Blackjack/ - One of THE largest and most informative blackjack sites on the entire internet. No excuses for THIS site not being in the category.

And don't give me that crap about my sites and IP will be banned for life from DMOZ because I posted my URL publicly in a DMOZ forum. DMOZ has no where near the same elitist prestige it once was when it was the sole entry into Google's directory and into Google's pagerank blessings. Over the years, my site has finally receives TONS of traffic through the long and hard path instead of the easy DMOZ path that the corrupt editors got for themselves. My site was also used as a primary example many times in the Google forums as well. So the name of the deal is that I want to see my site in there just for the spite of it!

Put your words where your mouth is in regards to misconceptions about lazy editors, I'm sure 100 editors including yourself will read this post. Lets see if anyone does any actual work.

Kind regards
    Thank you Google
    Humble yourselves and Repent, DMOZ...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
    peppy, Jan 5, 2012 IP
  2. thsadmin

thsadmin Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It's good hey, for a long time directories are only serving one purpose - back links and building links for the primary purpose of bumping ones site up the Google search results, I don't see any other purpose for their use... I don't even see directories in search results anymore - that's also good.

thsadmin, Jan 5, 2012 IP
  3. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Not sure why you are so happy about it. None of the sites listed in DMOZ experienced a ranking drop when Google removed their copy of DMOZ.

This means one of two things:
    1. DMOZ listed sites are still getting a boost even though Google no longer has a directory (...and you can still whine about your site not being listed)
    or
    2. A DMOZ listed site never really got any boost from Google, so nothing happened when they removed the directory (...and all the whining you have done about not getting listed was wasted breath, as a listing is not worth it)

Agent000, Jan 6, 2012 IP
  4. peppy

peppy Active Member

Best Answers:
    @Agent000,

I beg to differ on your theory. As a matter of fact, I've seen a lot of DMOZ sites being downgraded quite a bit.

More importantly is that I've noticed a very strong increase in rankings for sites that were not listed in DMOZ. Every one of my sites across the board received extremely large increases in traffic.

DMOZ still has it's high pagerank categories, but it no longer provides sites with authority site benefits due to the Google directory entry. It's kind of hard to explain, but if you watch rankings of your sites, competitor sites and sites listed on DMOZ for awhile, you can see a noticeable pattern.

What I've noticed is an "equalizer" effect: many crappy DMOZ listed sites (a majority) got major downgrades where as the strong DMOZ sites kept the same rankings, these strong sites would have ranked high anyways whether they were in DMOZ or not. On the other side of the equalizer, many strong sites (sites like mine) that were not listed on DMOZ all got major boosts in rankings.

In the end, a DMOZ listing is still nice with it's same high page rank, but it doesn't provide the extra benefits it once did as getting your site listed in Google directory, which was the true crown jewel link. Meaning a $500 lazy-editor-bribeâ„¢ to get a site listed in Google directory last year might only be worth $20 or absolutely nothing today - now it's just a plain directory link like any other directory... :D

peppy, Jan 7, 2012 IP
  5. DocuMaker

DocuMaker Active Member

Best Answers:
    Your post confuses me. On one hand, you want to get your site listed in DMOZ, yet you trash it. What gives? I mean, if "DMOZ has no where near the same elitist prestige it once was" then why do you want your site in there? You also say your site is one of the largest and most informative blackjack site, and that it gets tons of traffic, but the site's stats suggest something different. I think you just wrote a whole lot of something for nothing. But that's just my opinion, expressed only for newcomers who may also be confused.

DocuMaker, Jan 7, 2012 IP
  6. peppy

peppy Active Member

Best Answers:
    There's nothing wrong with having my site in DMOZ, I would like to see my site listed there just for the spite of it like I said in my first post. It's not a matter of receiving DMOZ benefits, Google directory is gone so there are no more special benefits.

It's another matter with DMOZ Administrator Jim Noble talking about misconceptions about DMOZ and lazy editors as if he's trying to repent for DMOZ's downfall. So if there is a misconception about editors being lazy, let's put your words where your mouth is and list my blackjack site in the blackjack category (the site listed in my first post). I've publicly listed my site for all editors and all visitors to witness if he actually follows up on what he says. Bribery isn't going to work anymore, editors getting banned for listing a publicly mentioned site isn't going to work anymore. The power isn't there anymore so the corruption of money isn't there anymore either when it comes to blocking sites and listing exclusive sites.

Their jobs as editors are to add quality sites to the directory. So here is one of the largest and most informative blackjack sites on the internet right in their view, they are reading this post and have no excuses for not logging into DMOZ and adding the site to the blackjack category. As for the newcomers, this is a nice little public test and lesson. The fact that they will not add my site proves my point that the editors are indeed lazy and contradicts everything Jim Noble wrote about. It proves Google and I were correct in that DMOZ is so corrupt and broken that the Google directory had to be dismantled and DMOZ finally lost it's premiere power because of it.

So really, the point of this post is a matter of me making a scene and bringing attention to myself. It's a matter of me being boastful of DMOZ's downfall from the graces of Google, something I had a direct hand in doing by protesting, contacting and discussing with Google and the people in charge more than anyone about cutting ties with DMOZ... :D

Happy New Year!

EDIT: Checked the stats of my site online at different places, appears they are all incorrect, way WAY underestimated...

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
    peppy, Jan 7, 2012 IP
  7. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Lots of assumptions, guesses and crap in this :) lol

Your site was probably not added for numerous reasons and ODP policy is not discuss that in open forums. Judging how dog-minded you are being, you probably spammed and did numerous other things against the guidelines. Thats probably why you didnt get listed, you are your own worst enemy.

By the way, editing isnt a job, its a hobby.

And i may be wrong here, but wasnt the Google Directory stopped because its an exact copy of DMOZ, which meant that it was duplcate Content and Google had to remove it, or they would look foolish? I dont know if this is right, but it certainly sounds right.

And brag as you will......you still never got listed, you still would like to be listed and i bet my bottom dollar you never will get listed. (lol) So you didnt win anything:)

snooks, Jan 7, 2012 IP
  8. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think they are right peppy.
    It appears that you are hell bent anger on why your site is not listed in DMOZ while you came of the quality of it. Honestly I don't see it. You think 20 1000/w articles is quality?

I'm in Dmoz, but I have a 400 1000/w article site and its a different kind of niche so that's understandable, but I don't really understand how that helped me. google is still selling keywords of corporations so its tough to get on the top 3 places on big keywords.
    What's with all of your fussing. If someone put your tiny little twerp site into dmoz it wouldn't even help you. Move on in life. What, are you 12yrs old or something?

In other words, there is a lot of trickery and the public can't see that.

Laceygirl, Jan 7, 2012 IP
  9. Agent000

Best Answers:
    I have never seen anyone so bitter and twisted about something so unimportant!

Agent000, Jan 7, 2012 IP
  10. peppy

peppy Active Member

Best Answers:
    You may be wrong? NO you ARE wrong. Google didn't have a problem with DMOZ duplicate content for over a decade so that wasn't the reason. Google just finally got fed up with corrupted crap listings, so DMOZ got the boot.

Actually, 1000/w does not determine quality, this is the copy-writer spam mentality. Also, my site has over 100 pages (not 20 as you suggested) with more than just articles. It's filled with biographies, MIT mathematical formulas, card counting systems and of course some commercial articles. You obviously just made up some stuff up on fly there without looking at the site - probably something a lazy and stubborn DMOZ editor would do...

A long time ago that was true, but for the past few years, it's been all white-hat. Like DMOZ, there was some trickery done with Jim Noble saying that any site listed on DMOZ from my IP address or any domain name I publicly posted on the forums were permanently banned from ever getting in DMOZ. Doesn't sound like DMOZ during the age of corrupted power and bribes had a philosophy of adding quality sites, it was a philosophy of corruption.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention in case Jim Noble or one of the other editors see this: Remember when I falsely claimed to be the owner of some sites in DMOZ and you guys removed those sites, incorrectly assuming I owned them!? Embarrassing eh!?, contradicts the philosophy of DMOZ being a directory of quality and turned it into a philosophy of the "mafia" in taking out sites owned by an "enemy" and including sites with bribery... Yeah, I think that was one of the lasts straws that broke the camels back when it came to Google tossing DMOZ out, especially after I showed this evidence to them. I thought this was amusing and so did the public! HUGE HAM!

You like hanging around internet forums arguing with 12yr olds? Are you a bitter DMOZ editor or something? :D

Happy New Year!

peppy, Jan 7, 2012 IP
  11. Agent000

Best Answers:
    Maybe not 12 yr olds, but certainly the deluded:
    Do you really think your silly rants had anything to do with Google's decision?

Agent000, Jan 7, 2012 IP
  12. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree it was dupe content for years, but when Panda and Farmers Algo came in, they punished lots of sites and lots quite unfairly. This is when they decided to remove the Google Directory and i feel they backed themselves into a corner.....how could they punish people for duplicate content yet keep their own directory, when it was quite openly admitted it was a clone of ODP?

Thats just my thoughts and i may be wrong, but it seems a pretty good arguement to me.

snooks, Jan 7, 2012 IP
  13. holkapolka

holkapolka Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    when did this happen? is there still time to see new changes from this change or have the changes / new rankings been made on most sites ?

holkapolka, Jan 7, 2012 IP
  14. Agent000

Best Answers:
    >6 months ago
    No one except peppy is reporting any changes in rankings when it happened ... don't figure!

Agent000, Jan 7, 2012 IP
  15. shabash23

shabash23 Peon

Best Answers:
    What are you? A holy man. :)

shabash23, Jan 7, 2012 IP
  16. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Naw...just an misinformed rabble rouser. lol

snooks, Jan 7, 2012 IP
  17. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Meh, let's debate then:
    1. Your right. I didn't go very far in your site.
    2. There is no reason to offer card counting systems, and mathematical formulas because everyone knows that mainly the only winners for gambling is the house. Its just a pass time for people to spend money. There's no beating the system. That goes double for online poker considering cards act differently online than in the real world. Pokerstars says that its because their system cannot randomize cards so there you can see traces of the same card streak. I had an arcade script with showed random games so that's bull crap. Therefore they control the outcome. So while you are yabbering about quality and articles just know that everything you have written about is all built on a giant waste of time.
    3. I am not an editor. I work online for a living. I don't volunteer online. I am just as evil though, just in a different way. I do volunteer at a dog kennel though.
    Like I said before? Who cares man. Move on. Dmoz is not going to save your day if you get listed. Its not that big of a deal.
    I am not an editor. I'm not even involved with Dmoz at all. I submitted a site 5 yrs ago and its been there since. I work for 7hrs a day online then on my break I come to dp and if I happen to see someone saying stupid crap or some blackhat scammer then I challenge them.

For you, I have given you very good advice for a short life. Move on. Why are you stuck on this. I could understand if you lost a million dollars and now are poor when it could've been different but this isn't the case.

Laceygirl, Jan 8, 2012 IP
  18. RamCity

RamCity Peon

Best Answers:
    DMOZ deserved that indeed.

RamCity, Jan 9, 2012 IP
  19. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Doh! Nothing happened to dmoz so i dont get what you mean. Google disbanded its directory....DMOZ is operating as it always has:)

snooks, Jan 9, 2012 IP
  20. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Do you mean by bunch of crooks? You cannot deny that their income has gone done as evident by some senior editors are abandoning the sinking ship. :)

gworld, Jan 10, 2012 IP