1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is a college degree in business worth it?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Mysticwonton, Jan 6, 2012.

Is it worth the investment for me to go to college for a four year degree in general business? I'm 22 years old and live in USA. It will cost me 4 years of my life and near 50,000 USD to get a degree. What's the pros and cons?

Mysticwonton, Jan 6, 2012 IP
  2. tjcreation

tjcreation Peon

Best Answers:
    Pros - college graduates statistically make more throughout their lives than non-college graduates. Also college graduates find more business "doors" open to them as they progress.

Cons - money. College is expensive and student loans never go away - you have to pay them back.

Overall, you need to decide what you want to do with your life. If you have a goal in mind that will be helped by the degree - go for it. Otherwise, you might want to consider other educational programs or work experience until you really know what you want.

tjcreation, Jan 7, 2012 IP
  3. wonaya

wonaya Peon

Best Answers:
    no.i don't think so.

wonaya, Jan 7, 2012 IP
  4. mhovingh

mhovingh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Right now, having a degree is of big importance to a lot of businesses. On the other hand, we still have lots of grads that can't get hired because they don't have any work experience. You really have to look at long term importance, and as history shows, corporate America likes degrees.

As for the $50k, have you figured in the cost of living, books, school supplies, etc? You can't just figure in tuition when you are figuring out how much it is going to cost you to go to college.

As for the 4 years, most Bachelor degrees take 4.5 to 5 years now. Unless you are running above a normal full course load, or taking classes year-round, you won't be finishing up a "4 year degree" in only 4 years.

Have you considered the option of getting an Associate Degree? Most of the courses you would take will count towards a Bachelor degree if you decide to continue. You spend 1-2 years less time and, upon getting the Associate Degree, can test the job market and save the Bachelor degree for when you decide you actually need it.

The Bachelor degree is moving more towards being for people who plan to move onto Masters/Doctorate degrees, or for people who are in professions where the Bachelor degree is required for a certain certification that can mean a big difference in pay, such as an accountant wanting to become a CPA (Certified Public Accountant).

I think you will find that, when just talking about a general business focus, an Associate Degree will be enough to get into a low to mid-level position within larger companies starting out, and even starting in high positions within smaller companies. Many companies will also pay (can be partial or full) for you to continue your schooling once you have been working for them a while.

mhovingh, Jan 7, 2012 IP
  5. DhrubaJyotiDeka

DhrubaJyotiDeka Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ask Bill Gates. ;)

DhrubaJyotiDeka, Jan 7, 2012 IP
  6. iamtheceo

iamtheceo Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I have a the same degree and never once have I been able to use it. I make more online then anyone with this degree so to me it was a waste of 4 years.

iamtheceo, Jan 7, 2012 IP
  7. bsie

bsie Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think its important to get a degree in a field that requires a particular skill - IT, Computer Science, MIS or a degree in a particular area that requires a degree to get a professional certification - accounting, legal, engineering, etc. A degree in business? Maybe a minor in business or dual major, but not solely in business.

bsie, Jan 7, 2012 IP
  8. DollarTycoon

DollarTycoon Peon

Best Answers:
    School is worth it for scholarly endeavors. For business, if you're looking to climb the corporate ladder, perhaps its worth it, but I don't think it's necessary to be a successful business entrepreneur.

DollarTycoon, Jan 7, 2012 IP
  9. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Do you need a degree to do what you want to do? If not, then don't waste your money or life. If so, go for it.

Does everyone need a degree? NO. As noted above, ask Bill Gates.

mmerlinn, Jan 8, 2012 IP
  10. Robbthomas

Robbthomas Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think having a degree will give you peace of mind and you will have plenty of money you will owe. However there are benefits. Get a degree in that can make you money like someone above said such as an IT degree. You can make 2 income sources which is always a plus. I make a set salary as an IT professional with all benefits and bonuses. Plus I make another 4 figures a month from CPA.

Just my 2 cents.

Robbthomas, Jan 8, 2012 IP
  11. mitchritz

mitchritz Peon

Best Answers:
    NO! not necessary, your skills and techniques OR experience in business also worth in it..!!

mitchritz, Jan 8, 2012 IP
  12. MarTh-

MarTh- Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It opens doors for those who have it. It's kind of like a safeguard for your future. Investing in yourself is always a good option.

MarTh-, Jan 9, 2012 IP
  13. MTUser2010

MTUser2010 Active Member

Best Answers:
    One of the ways of considering the occupy wall street movement is as a bubble, like the housing bubble, in education. Numerous statistics show the cost of a college education rising much faster than the rate of inflation for the past 20 years or so. I don't think this is just for degrees in post modern literary theory or renaissance languages. Business is in there too.

One of things think about is your ability to perform in an academic environment. It is surely true that some business majors are getting a degree to become assistant managers at pizza hut or Walmart. Others, like the example of Bill Gates or the Social Network can obviously deal with the heaviest academic load and leave because they can do something better or more interesting.

One way to think about this is to ask "what will I do if I don't go to college?" If you can come up with something that is compelling and interesting, why not try that for a year first? One of the advantages of the US education system is that you don't have to start in it when you are 18 or 25. Any college professor will tell you that the best students are the non-traditional ones, they are the most motivated and have the clearest goals about what they want to achieve.

MTUser2010, Jan 9, 2012 IP
  14. goupilandcie

goupilandcie Peon

Best Answers:
    Having a degree, I would say no. It is a waist of money and even more so time. With that same time and money if you really want to learn something about business, just try starting your own. Heck with that time and money you could even start a couple. This would give you real world experience, you can also use as your resume for work experience. And if it actually works out, might not have to ever work for someone else again.

If you go the work route later, you can always go back, and sometimes companies even pay for you. It is a depression now in the US, it is not wise to spend 50k on anything let alone a piece of paper that doesnt garuntee anything.

goupilandcie, Jan 10, 2012 IP
  15. mash240

mash240 Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you're not sure either way then I would say go. Better to keep your options open and then you can also run projects in your spare time.

mash240, Jan 10, 2012 IP
  16. vedaliya

vedaliya Active Member

Best Answers:
    Degree makes you more mature for any business but there are lots of millionaire who had never done graduate also.So this question will ask frequently by frequently ever.

vedaliya, Jan 10, 2012 IP
  17. edvvardbrian

edvvardbrian Member

Best Answers:
    no.i don't think so.

edvvardbrian, Feb 24, 2012 IP
  18. abeedle

abeedle Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh god no. Not even a little bit. Not only will you learn almost nothing about how businesses actually operate, you'll be at a disadvantage compared to people who majored in finance/accounting/economics.

If you feel the need to get a degree, then get one in a field where you will learn something valuable (like writing skills, reasoning, mathematics, etc...) then if you want to go into a particular field, seek out a graduate program in that area. Or better yet, start a business of your own and defer school for a while... it's the best education you can get.

abeedle, Feb 24, 2012 IP
  19. sambling

sambling Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    A university degree is always helpful for job prospects, however is a business degree really worth it? How about a management course or something else you're interested in.....

sambling, Feb 24, 2012 IP
  20. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Pros :
    - parties
    - getting to learn something that is actually useful
    - i won't hire you on minimum wage without one

Con :
    - google them

ApocalypseXL, Feb 24, 2012 IP