1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What's The Secret To Getting Listed In Dmoz?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by gregdavidson, Dec 27, 2011.

I've been trying for over 6 years and haven't been successful at getting any of my sites listed in DMOZ. Do any of you guys know how to get accepted?

gregdavidson, Dec 27, 2011 IP
  2. AlexMixXL

AlexMixXL Peon

Best Answers:
    These days DMOZ is more or less a dead site. There is no way getting fast approval unless you become editor of the category you are submitting or unless you know of those editors.​

AlexMixXL, Dec 28, 2011 IP
  3. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Ug... Does anyone use the search function here? This question has been asked 2TRILLION TIMES!!!!

Someone needs to create a sticky with a generic answer to this question:

Mia, Dec 28, 2011 IP
  4. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If gregdavidson read as much on DMOZ as he seems to have done on DP, then he certainly will not have followed any of the DMOZ guidelines.....how about reading around this forum and discovering that there is a category that is devoted entirely to DMOZ.........and not following guidelines is a sure fire loser.......but if he had read that section he might have discovered the real answer to his question!

Anonymously, Jan 1, 2012 IP
  5. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    THE SECRET.

[​IMG]

gworld, Jan 4, 2012 IP
  6. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Because gods forbid you be helpful.

Two rules of thumb:
    SUBMIT & FORGET
    FORGET 2 SUBMIT

There are other methods of course, but most of them run the risk of getting banned...

Become an editor and add yourself (if you site is worthy, no troubles on this one, if your site is crap = ban)
    Pay to be listed! This certainly runs the risk of getting banned (for the editor and the site, as well as all related sites, and potentially all the sites the editor has added).
    Contact AOL and have them list every single page on your site! (This has happened once, and the guy didn't get banned! In fact, there are still over 10k pages listed!)
    Buy a site already listed (likely will not get you banned, but in many cases does get the page removed)
    Build the best site you can possibly build full of worthy unique content aimed at the end user, and then see the two rules of thumb.

Qryztufre, Jan 4, 2012 IP
  7. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have submitted all of my competitors sites like 50 times each so they all get banned!

DMOZ is such an advanced system!

joeventura, Jan 4, 2012 IP
  8. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I don't recall any system of "bans" in DMOZ. As other's have indicated, submitting your site more than once can certainly squeeze the ego center of some editors, but ban? Not that I recall.

Mia, Jan 4, 2012 IP
  9. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly my point!

joeventura, Jan 4, 2012 IP
  10. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    It's be nice if threads where the OP is banned are automatically shitcanned... This one is no exception.

Mia, Jan 4, 2012 IP