1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can you have Too Many Testimonials

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by JimmyFreeman, Jan 1, 2012.

Hi there. Putting together a long form sales letter and have a ton of testimonials. Do you think there can ever bee TOO MANY?

how many is too many?

JimmyFreeman, Jan 1, 2012 IP
  2. jack2230

jack2230 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think anything more than 3 or 4 is over kill.

jack2230, Jan 2, 2012 IP
  3. gunnamanil

gunnamanil Member

Best Answers:
    I hope 5-10 is great and more than that is not worth.

gunnamanil, Jan 2, 2012 IP
  4. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I guess it would best be determined by what value each one adds. If they all essentially say the same thing, then less is more. If they can be used to accentuate particular points, then sprinkle them throughout the letter.

Just make sure that a long sales letter is the best option. More and more people are likening them with snake oil.

YMC, Jan 2, 2012 IP
  5. dmarkers

dmarkers Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I agree with YMC, if they are redundant, don't bother... But the testimonials should highlight and shine on the serious points you are making in your sales letter(product)

But if your testimonials will really hit homeruns, than put as many as you can... John carlton has testimonials on the side of his sales letters going allllll the way down to the end. But they are all stating that they have literally made x amount of money with his tactics.. Not stating that the product is great....

...you should highlight the huge points - for example a good template for a testimonial (long winded) would be -

"how was you life before (my product)?"
    "how was your experience during (my product)?"
    "how did your life change after using (my product)?"

----------
    or you can simply ask them for specific points, like "how quick after you finished the course did you start to earn?"

Testimonial can be the lifeblood if your letter. With a john carlton letter for his product.. I can just read the testimonials and want to buy it.. because it gets me excited to get that same results. The psychology stating that "normal" people can do it too resonates with people.

Hope that helps.
    Dave R.

dmarkers, Jan 3, 2012 IP
  6. tatamotors

tatamotors Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think you should choose your top 4

tatamotors, Jan 3, 2012 IP
  7. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Above all ensure that the testimonials appear sincere and not fabricated or exagerated,otherwise they will do you more harm than good.

Spoiltdiva, Jan 5, 2012 IP
  8. awundrin

awundrin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Don't put more than a handful. I wouldn't read tons of them, would you? Plus, most people today know that most testimonials are fabricated anyhow.

awundrin, Jan 7, 2012 IP
  9. MrJohn

MrJohn Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have to agree with YMC on this one. Add the testimonials that are from any special clients first (Special clients are clients that people would be more impressed that you have compared to the average client). After you get through those, then toss a couple of your normal everyday clients in there. That way you can show them that you have worked with a variety of clients, including some that are more recognizable than others.

MrJohn, Jan 9, 2012 IP
  10. pegre

pegre Peon

Best Answers:
    You put that well. Just the other day I read a post where it said that it also helps to change the term 'testimonial' to 'review' (not necessarily in your sales letter) as it apparently inspires more trust that way!

pegre, Jan 13, 2012 IP
  11. tjcreation

tjcreation Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd say there can definitely be too many, especially if they are in the body of the sales letter. If you have more than a couple of testimonials that say essentially the same thing, there's no point in including all of them in the letter. Your readers are just going to skip over them. Also, as SpoiltDiva mentioned, make sure that your testimonials appear legitimate. The more of them you include, the more your audience is going to think that you created these testimonials to make yourself look better.

tjcreation, Jan 13, 2012 IP
  12. !bc

!bc Peon

Best Answers:
    It depends on how you are presenting them. It would make it a good idea to perhaps provide references to a prospective customer that is in the same line of business as them. But if you’re just posting them on your website, select your most compelling ones and it should be good to go.

!bc, Jan 16, 2012 IP
  13. stephenmarsh

stephenmarsh Peon

Best Answers:
    As tjcreation said, structure your range of testimonials the same as you would any copy - think of the most significant, high-impact messages you need to send and just pick the testimonials that work for each one.

In theory, if you have 12 different things that I really need to hear about your product, I'd read 12 testimonials.

But I think most people find that the fewer benefits you're conveying, the better!

stephenmarsh, Jan 16, 2012 IP
  14. EnjoliBaker

EnjoliBaker Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree I think that you should not over load your sales letter with more than 3-4 testimonials.

EnjoliBaker, Jan 16, 2012 IP
  15. Revaxmedia

Revaxmedia Member

Best Answers:
    Testimonals on your website - YES Tesimonals on a third party website NO. No one belives testimonals on your own website anyway.

Revaxmedia, Jan 17, 2012 IP
  16. danproud

danproud Peon

Best Answers:
    4 or 5 sounds good. You could always provide a link to a page with more testimonials in your sales copy if you think they are too good to throw out completely.

danproud, Jan 17, 2012 IP
  17. alexa_s

alexa_s Peon

Best Answers:
    How are people managing to suggest a "correct number" of testimonials without allowing for product-pricing and copy length? That's rather "far-sighted" of them.

Clearly, short copy for a $7 e-book is going to look ridiculous with 28 testimonials, just as 3 testimonials will be inadequate for 5,000-word copy for a $297 course.

It always depends on several different factors.

But there is such a thing as "too many testimonials", in general - yes. It can make the vendor come across as either desperate or implausible, or a combination of the two, just as too many bonuses can.

alexa_s, Jan 18, 2012 IP
  18. ArticleSubway

ArticleSubway Peon

Best Answers:
    Having a huge list of happy clients with positive feedback is great.

Do not use all your testimonials in front page. Include 4-5 in main page and for the rest, give a link to let your visitors see more of your clients' positive remarks.

ArticleSubway, Jan 18, 2012 IP
  19. yafi_hostinizer

yafi_hostinizer Peon

Best Answers:
    Having more then a few testimonials make it look like suspicious. Again, it depends upon the design of your webpage.

yafi_hostinizer, Jan 18, 2012 IP
  20. Sam Gilmore

Sam Gilmore Peon

Best Answers:
    If I was reading testiomonals, I think 5 would be enough)

Sam Gilmore, Jan 19, 2012 IP