1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Anyway to tell if there was a submission?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by retsek, Dec 22, 2011.

Hey,

I tasked my brother with the job of doing the submission for our 6 month old website. Now he tells me, he can't remember if he did it or not. He's just not sure and I don't why I even asked him in the first place.

Should I re-submit? Is there away to tell if the site is already submitted?

retsek, Dec 22, 2011 IP
  2. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Noway to tell as far as you are concerned and we do not do site reviews, anyway you have not mentioned what you site is. If you resubmit it can disadvantage your site, but if it is only a second submission it is not likely to be caught as spam.

Anonymously, Dec 22, 2011 IP
  3. retsek

retsek Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I don't want to post it publicly. I'll PM you.

retsek, Dec 22, 2011 IP
  4. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you want a job done right, do it yourself: Re-suggest it.

I don't believe that Anonymously was offering to check it for you.

jimnoble, Dec 22, 2011 IP
  5. retsek

retsek Peon

Best Answers:
    Alright thanks.

retsek, Dec 22, 2011 IP
  6. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    As we said, resubmitting in general is not a good idea, it can delay a site review, but if you may not get one because it was never submitted, then IF there is a delay it must be an acceptable choice.Jim is right we do not do site checks, can you imagine the number with hundreds or thousands of suggestions per day and whichever editor, probably not the one who reviewed a site, says a site was rejected, then not in all, but in some cases the editor who gave the information would not be the most popular editor and they would have been only trying to help. Site reviews are lose, lose situations for DMOZ and its editors.

Anonymously, Dec 23, 2011 IP
  7. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Sad though, as it's also a lose/lose for the end-user and submitter as well.

Another alternative is to simply not bothering with submitting at all. If it has been suggested, then it's all good and swell. But if it has not, then you are likely looking at around the same wait time. The suggestion pool is an optional resource for editors, and not all of them use it. Some even view it as a spam pool and they use it as a black list. Many editors look for sites outside of the pool even if they use it or not, so you still have a pretty good chance of getting a listing if your site is worthy.

So either way, don't worry about it.

Qryztufre, Dec 23, 2011 IP
  8. retsek

retsek Peon

Best Answers:
    Went through his browser history with a comb, and found that he did submit it. So that's good.

However, I googled the category editor's name. Found an old forum post where he admits that he's the owner of a site that competes with ours.
    Chances of being approved now? And is this normal with dmoz?

retsek, Dec 28, 2011 IP
  9. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    At the risk of offending you, i find this almost impossible to believe:(

But lets just assume it is true....DMOZ Editors can own and operate sites as long as they declare their interest and they treat them like any other site. Your chances of being reviewed are not affected, hes not the only Editor with permissions to edit there.....there are probably 200 that can choose to do so.

Out of interest, i operate a network of around 25 sites but only 3 are in DMOZ, because only 3 are compliant with the guidelines. :)

snooks, Dec 29, 2011 IP
  10. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    MANY people use the same handle on the internet on most of the sites they visit. Many of the ODP editors I know also use their names on many of the forums they visit. Figuring out which is which is not all that hard, besides, if Editors have mystical powers at finding out who owns what site then why can't random website owners?

Because there has never been an instance of such things going on in the ODP, and there are hundreds of editors with permissions in all categories.

While the wait time of the average site is YEARS, I find it very easy to believe that this can very much effect his/her site.

I find that very odd... that any editor would care to make a site that is not aimed at the end user. Its a VERY strange hobby to collect websites, and not bother with your own.

Qryztufre, Dec 29, 2011 IP
  11. retsek

retsek Peon

Best Answers:
    Well it's pretty compelling evidence. He's uses the same username on forums and to make wikipedia edits (in his favor as well).
    I actually don't grudge him at all. All I care about is whether my site will be listed. So no offense taken.

retsek, Dec 29, 2011 IP
  12. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    There are actually many instances of editors for the ODP that list their own sites, that are also editors on Wiki that list their sites there as well. Don't hold your breath on getting your site listed, or getting that editor kicked, as neither are common place regardless of what fellow editors will say, they are simply protecting their own.

13. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Since when have guideline compliant sites had to be aimed at end users to become guideline compliant??????????????????? Don't all the non-guideline compliant sites aim at an end user????????????????

Guideline compliant is very simple..............Unique content...............and perhaps for reasons Snooks knows, that is not what those sites are. And what business is it of yours anyway??????

Anonymously, Dec 29, 2011 IP
  14. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    :confused: can I get a little bit of what you are smoking?

So what you are saying is that the ONLY, the ONLY thing that makes a site guideline compliant is unique content? MIND BOGGLING!?!?!?! That is why there are thousands upon thousands of sites that are NOT compliant (as in without unique content) within the directory, and hundreds of pages of guidelines that must be followed by editors that specify what is and is not listable.

As for Snooks sites and my business, well, lol. Just trying to make the web a better place. Its just as much my business as it is yours to list sites that were not suggested to the ODP. So your point in this is? Oh yeah, forgot, DOUBLE STANDARDS!

Again, it's odd that an editor who is so for the ODP would make sites NOT listable. So yeah, maybe not MY BUSINESS, but it should be something the Meta team should look into. I mean seriously, if he is out there blowing off pages without unique content, then the gods only know what he is adding to the ODP.

Besides, what business is it of yours what is or is not my business? Oh yeah, again, DOUBLE STANDARDS! lol.

15. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just to clarify....what i find hard to believe is that he went through browser history that old and found out it was submitted :)

I think the truth is being stretched.

The fact an Editor has listed sites doesnt surprise me one bit......we all went to DMOZ through being interested in the internet, so it stands to common sense that we would have sites. My personal feeling......i reckon 90% of editors would have sites listed and thats fine, as long as they are declared.

Unfortunately if they are non compliant to the guidelines, then they cant be listed and you know that Q. Most are made for ads......most are unlistable.

What am i adding....mmh.....

http://www.dmoz.org/Health/Conditions_and_Diseases/Cancer/Organizations/Oceania/Australia/
    http://www.dmoz.org/Health/Conditio...isorders/Congenital_Anomalies/Arthrogryposis/
    http://www.dmoz.org/Society/Organizations/Animal_Welfare/Rescues_and_Shelters/

I tend to focus on charitable sites rather than greedy webmasters sites that are suggested for seo purposes. Hopefully anyone that has a loved one battling Cancer, now has a very good chance of finding a Cancer Support Group nearby to them.........

And the Meta Group obviously know what sites of mine are, or are not listed, simply because i declare each and every one of them, even the domain names that arent developed. We dont want any begrudging EX-editors making insinuations do we (lol)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
    snooks, Dec 29, 2011 IP
  16. retsek

retsek Peon

Best Answers:
    He hasn't ever cleared his history since he got this new computer at the end July. Firefox has a search feature in the History panel. type in dmoz.org and a whole lot of results came up.
    I went through those and and saw that he did went to the suggest url for the category. So i'm assuming he did do it, rather than risk a second submission. Can't believe I have to explain that to someone who should know about browsers.

retsek, Dec 29, 2011 IP