1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Anyone using XenForo? If so, what are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by Woodcs82, Dec 25, 2011.

Anyone using XenForo? If so, what are your thoughts about it?

Thanks,

-C

:cool:

Woodcs82, Dec 25, 2011 IP
  2. hacxz0r

hacxz0r Member

Best Answers:
    yeh i am using ZenForo in my site its pretty awsome script i love it but it isnt feature rich like vb... anyways xf is much lighter than vb.

nyways u can have a look on my site to chk hows it : wrzextreme.com

hacxz0r, Dec 26, 2011 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    From a developer standpoint, it's really, really nice internally. I have a license, and I've been building all sorts of neat things for it.

digitalpoint, Dec 26, 2011 IP
  4. Woodcs82

Woodcs82 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Excellent, i will check out your forum. Thanks! Do you like it better than VB?

Yeah, i looked at it a little bit and was really impressed. Shawn, is there a possibility you will switch to Xenforo from VB? Are you waiting for them to do more work on it?

Woodcs82, Dec 27, 2011 IP
  5. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I'd have to rewrite about 1.2M lines of code first (all the custom stuff we have).

digitalpoint, Dec 27, 2011 IP
  6. Days

Days Peon

Best Answers:
    So you'd consider it better than any other licensed based forum software such as IP Board as well? I've been looking at XenForo but I love absolutely love MyBB since it does everything that I want my forum to do and you can't beat the cost.

Days, Dec 27, 2011 IP
  7. Woodcs82

Best Answers:
    True, lol....I forgot how much customization you've done to DP.. That would be a complete pain in the @SS.
    I'm pretty impressed with some of Xenforo's features...and ive hardly played with it.

-C

Woodcs82, Dec 27, 2011 IP
  8. hacxz0r

hacxz0r Member

Best Answers:
    yep i want it to improve more also need it dosent have vast mods / template customizations as that of vb but i am sure xf will improve more ..

and currently m not intrested to convert to vb as its lite and more stylish than vb

hacxz0r, Dec 27, 2011 IP
    Woodcs82 likes this.
  9. scylla

scylla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I still thing xen is going to get shut down. I just went to check up on the lawsuits a few days ago & found this by ex DP member anthonycea
    http://www.forumpostersunion.com/showthread.php?p=84657#post84657

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
    scylla, Jan 1, 2012 IP
  10. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    On the basis of what? I have a license of both XF and vB and there most definitely isn't anything in XF that remotely resembles any code from vB.

IB's strongest claim against XF more or less revolves around the fact that IB think's vBulletin invented semantic HTML... Which obviously isn't a very strong claim. :) Parts of IB's lawsuit have already been thrown out by the court before trial has even started.

digitalpoint, Jan 1, 2012 IP
  11. scylla

scylla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I take it you haven't even looked at the pdf's. Start with the first one.

[​IMG]

scylla, Jan 1, 2012 IP
  12. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I'm not saying there aren't allegation of such... Obviously there would need to be allegations in order to have a lawsuit. I just haven't seen Internet Brands produce anything beyond allegations. Trying to get any sort of information/proof about anything from IB seems more or less impossible.

For example, Joe Rosenblum flat out refused to answer questions under oath (much of the allegations are based on his declarations). The misappropriation of trade secrets for example is based on his declarations that vBulletin was "secretly" working on the following features:
    • Semantic HTML
    • SEO
    • Ability to "follow" a member
    • MVC architecture

Those features are not anything that vBulletin invented. They were public features of numerous sites long beforehand.

As far as MVC, it's a general programming architecture that vBulletin uses in a couple places (CMS most notably). They IB claims XF stole MVC architecture from them, when in fact IB didn't invent it... XF uses it inherently because XF uses the Zend Framework, which is built around MVC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model–view–controller

http://gracelaw.com/XenForo-Rosenblum.html

He also claimed that comparing code between XF and vB shows copied/stolen code (from personal experience, I can absolutely say that's false)... They aren't anywhere remotely similar in any way. They are about as far from each other as possible.

It's no wonder he won't answer questions under oath. ;)

IB was forced to drop their preliminary injunction motion because Joe (their CTO) refused to answer questions. lol

13. Time2303

Time2303 Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't follow any of the legal allegations against XenForo, but I've seen some of the coding style used in it and I would just say that all vBulletin is trying to do is put a competitor out of business with law suits and legal costs, whether or not there is a real basis for it.. not that that matters too much in a court case, though.

Comparing xF against the other forum boards that I've used in the past (SMF, phpbb, IPB, vB - some more recent versions than others) it has a very smooth appearance for features, runs well even on a machine with low hardware specs and has a great admin control panel.

I don't have a license of it, simply maintained a forum that my friend was running with it. Though, if I was running a forum then it would be the paid board software that I would want.

Time2303, Jan 1, 2012 IP
  14. scylla

scylla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah honestly I don't follow the lawsuits between them as well. But I do know that former vbulletin members left to go join the Xen team.... that alone seems underhanded & makes me not like xenforo..

And DP, I'd like to see what a custom made forum would look like from you and your staff vs buying a new forum software. I've seen the fixes you've suggested in jira and you seem to know your stuff pretty well.

scylla, Jan 1, 2012 IP
  15. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    From my understanding, the whole situation can be summed up like so:

vBulletin lead developer felt the code used in vBulletin was getting old (some of it is 10 years old), so he wanted vB4 to be a rewrite from scratch. Parent company thought it would take too long so they nixed the idea. He was unhappy with the direction of vB, so he left.

In the time since he left, no one has stepped up to give vB direction, and the last few years vB development has flopped around not really doing much of anything. Now they claim that the announcement about the features coming in the future posted by the VP of Technology is invalid because they were nothing more than his personal opinion. lol https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/361372-What-s-To-Come-For-vBulletin-Part-II

Of course you have to be a licensed vBulletin owner to see the post where they say the announcement is invalid/a personal opinion not reflecting the company (only AFTER you buy it can you know they were just kidding about the announcement.. haha).

It's all quite silly really. :)

344 JIRA tickets I've created... /sigh lol I mostly stopped making new ones because vB developers can't keep up with the existing ones (literally sometimes takes years to get something fixed even when you give them the code to fix it).

No real reason to build it form the ground up.. better to start with something so you can at least have a basic framework to start with for building the custom stuff I *do* want to build.

16. Woodcs82

Best Answers:
    Why? They obviously didn't have any non compete agreements.... Thats life in the business world! Employees leave companies all the time to start their own businesses. There's nothing wrong with that unless there is a non compete agreement in place.

Its always better doing your own busniess(es), rather than working for someone else.

-C

Woodcs82, Jan 1, 2012 IP
  17. jack2230

jack2230 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I haven't followed any of the lawsuit action, which this thread seems to be mainly about, but I did use XenForo in it's early stage Beta 1 - RC 1. Not sure what it's like now a few versions down the road, but I don't think it could be much different. When I used it though it was great. Better than any of the forum software I had ever used (and I have used a lot). It's a shame because I would love to use it again, but just don't have anything to use it for lol.

jack2230, Jan 1, 2012 IP
  18. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I switched one of my forums to xenforo and it's been a hit. The members like it and it's been a lot less of a headache on the server.
    I also picked up a new forum that was on xenforo, it's fun to play with.
    I was tried of waiting on bug fixes with vBulletin.

Brandon Sheley, Jan 2, 2012 IP
  19. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, would of been nice if you would of accepted the job offer, we wouldnt have to wait 2 yrs for fixes lol

AnthonyG, Jan 5, 2012 IP
  20. risqq

risqq Member

Best Answers:
    I prefer xF over vB. It takes a little bit of getting used to after the switch, but it seems much easier to modify to your tastes with less security issues.

risqq, Jan 6, 2012 IP