1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How SOPA will affect internet businesses?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by soccerfriend, Dec 25, 2011.

Hello, I did not see even one thread on SOPA (Stop Online Privacy Act) on this forum..

This bill is probably one of the most important internet related pieces of legislature ever existed.

It definitely will affect media businesses, content sharing websites.. basically any website that has user generated content may be affected if the bill passes.

What are your thoughts and feelings about this bill?

How do you think it may change the way online business is done?

What types of businesses will be affected?

Would you do anything RIGHT NOW to prepare your online business for this bill?

soccerfriend, Dec 25, 2011 IP
  2. Chronus

Chronus Peon

Best Answers:
    This bill is being presented as an anti-piracy bill.
    It should be considered an anti-freedom bill!
    The amount of censorship it will cause is enough to rival the iron curtain of 1970.

Everybody that has any content on the internet should know everything they can about this huge problem.

Chronus, Dec 27, 2011 IP
  3. cobraghostship

cobraghostship Peon

Best Answers:
    I have SOPAPetition.com for sale. PM if interested.

cobraghostship, Dec 27, 2011 IP
  4. M8INTERNET

M8INTERNET Member

Best Answers:
    No action required, all services outwith the USA

M8INTERNET, Dec 27, 2011 IP
  5. tays0c

tays0c Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Worst bill I've heard in my life.
    That's going to corrupt the internet more. But still, the internet is smart, if the Internet goes down, Internet v2.0 will be up.

tays0c, Dec 27, 2011 IP
  6. WilsonJ

WilsonJ Peon

Best Answers:
    The best thing about the whole issue is the fact that both sides have giants standing behind..Motion picture giants supporting it while internet and networking giants opposing it..I still don't believe this bill can be passed though..Facebook, Google, Twitter, Yahoo, eBay you name it and they are there opposing this bill. Lets see how it unfolds in the near future though..

WilsonJ, Dec 28, 2011 IP
  7. soccerfriend

soccerfriend Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Honestly, I understand the US movie companies.. I feel absolutely fine if SOPA will only apply to a movie related content.

soccerfriend, Dec 28, 2011 IP
  8. Chronus

Chronus Peon

Best Answers:
    Even that would be horrible.
    Some blogger writes a negative review about some new movie and SOPA permits for the entire blog to become inaccessible to the entire web without notice.

Consider this... If SOPA passes, it would start with people reporting objectionable content and then action being taken. Once this becomes unmanageable it will become automated. The next step would be to send out bots to find the objectionable content and remove it. Even Google makes mistakes and they are the most advanced when it comes to using bots.

Chronus, Dec 28, 2011 IP
  9. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The best way to get informed and or infuriated is to read the last 30 pages on http://www.techdirt.com/ its pretty scary stuff.

Nigel

Nigel Lew, Dec 28, 2011 IP
  10. evilsaigon

evilsaigon Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    We might lose Youtube from this bill. Kinda self-explanatory :)

evilsaigon, Dec 28, 2011 IP
  11. kokopelli

kokopelli Peon

Best Answers:
    If you don't know what SOPA is, you should: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Online_Piracy_Act
    Also read: http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...t-why-sopa-protect-ip-are-bad-bad-ideas.shtml

And here's an infographic, explaining everything: http://venturebeat.com/2011/12/08/sopa-infographic/

If passed, it will negatively impact a lot of websites and webmasters - that's why some industry giants have come out against it: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/...ar-option-to-stop-SOPA?detail=hide&via=blog_1

But many companies are supporting SOPA / PIPA (e.g. http://www.scribd.com/doc/76259944/SOPA-Supporters ). GoDaddy also did, but has now backtracked ...

Me, I'm going to sell or transfer my GoDaddy domains, just to be safe. ;)

You can also sign the White House petition against SOPA here: https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitio...eaten-diminish-free-flow-information/g3W1BscR

kokopelli, Dec 30, 2011 IP
  12. castingcalls2

castingcalls2 Member

Best Answers:
    Yes this bill is making the brains crazy ! Because most of them are addicted to such content that SOPA is gonna remove !

castingcalls2, Dec 31, 2011 IP
  13. gc1282

gc1282 Active Member

Best Answers:
    SOPA means SOUP in Spanish :p

gc1282, Jan 1, 2012 IP
  14. Mike Inkster

Mike Inkster Member

Best Answers:
    It is not about the negative reviews that any movie or legal site will get. SOPA is more for the ones that are doing the PRIATING, those are the ones that are doing the most complaining and crying.

There are a lot of marketers out there that are totally or partially on the wrong of the law now. These are the ones that it will hurt most.

Yes it will hurt a few of the innocent ones also, as they may have purchased some illegal products also.

Do not tell me that GOdaddy is the only domain/hosting company involved many of the others big ones are also. Except they are not telling you.

Mike Inkster, Jan 1, 2012 IP
  15. Mike Inkster

Mike Inkster Member

Best Answers:
    Hope you all know the story about chicken little. Running around YELLING "THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!)

Well this is what you are doing now.

Mike Inkster, Jan 1, 2012 IP
  16. Chronus

Chronus Peon

Best Answers:
    @gc1282: In Greek it means "Shut Up".

@Mike: You might want to read the actual bill and not what it's being presented as... because while the sky is not falling, Freedom of Speech is.

Chronus, Jan 2, 2012 IP
  17. goupilandcie

goupilandcie Peon

Best Answers:
    The bill wont pass. They had to delay it being voted on because it was not going to pass.

Its just an industry fighting to maintain their old revenue model, and that never works. You cant fight time, adapt or die media companies.

goupilandcie, Jan 10, 2012 IP
  18. Chronus

Chronus Peon

Best Answers:
    There's finally a way we can fight back!
    Android users get a tool... YAY!
    I guarantee that I will be using this and certainly will not be spending my money on anything supporting SOPA.

#1 news story on google when you search for SOPA: LifeHacker just released this: lifehacker.com/5874710/boycott-sopa-for-android-scans-products-warns-you-if-the-manufacturer-supports-sopa

Chronus, Jan 10, 2012 IP
  19. Roan Akkermans

Roan Akkermans Member

Best Answers:
    They just want complete control over the internet because it is basically the only thing they haven't been able to control. Yeah by letting twitter blocking trends. I come to think that Internet is our last real freedom. And freedom of speech. I think after the SOPA bill, it would be so much harder to create a website.

Roan Akkermans, Jan 10, 2012 IP
  20. johnmoses

johnmoses Peon

Best Answers:
    It's just a stunt by the US to shut down anything like Wikileaks. I am sure all the dirty tricks played by Americans against wikileaks would be enshrined on law under SOPA :p

johnmoses, Jan 11, 2012 IP