1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dmoz submission

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by hanhash2006, Dec 22, 2011.

How can we publish our site in Dmoz?

hanhash2006, Dec 22, 2011 IP
  2. GMF

GMF Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You go to this site and read ----> dmoz.org/docs/en/add.html

GMF, Dec 22, 2011 IP
  3. chiwan

chiwan Peon

Best Answers:
    any way dmoz will not accept any site ..

chiwan, Dec 23, 2011 IP
  4. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Can you give us some reason why you tell lies on here? DMOZ accepts suggestions and I have listed sites today. Please offer your facts.

Anonymously, Dec 23, 2011 IP
  5. truongduong201

truongduong201 Member

Best Answers:
    i submited DMOZ 3 months ago, but still index not yet why ?

truongduong201, Dec 25, 2011 IP
  6. Vinil Mehta

Vinil Mehta Member

Best Answers:
    i too submitted my sites in dmoz but all in vain.i dont know the reason behind that

Vinil Mehta, Dec 26, 2011 IP
  7. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Not in vain... yet. It could still be several years before any editor cares to bother with what you have to say/share.

Qryztufre, Dec 26, 2011 IP
  8. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    And that time is written in stone?

Hardly think so. The exact time it can take is between never and forever. If you suggested a site today, it could be added tomorrow, it could be reviewed and rejected 2053. 3 months is not even an average of these things, nor has it ever been. The official time is 'it may take several weeks or more before your submission is reviewed' and trust me, they stand by that very strongly.

Qryztufre, Dec 27, 2011 IP
  9. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Seems to be a rather inefficient and illogical approval process.

Kinda defeats the whole purpose of having a directory. The approval process should be streamlined and there really should be an ETA, and that ETA should be consistent and constant.

Mia, Dec 27, 2011 IP
  10. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    That certainly would help define it as a SERVICE and make the ODP actually not only helpful, but worthy of submitting too. But the editors like it that way... They stand behind those words so often, they think that its the way things SHOULD be.

The way things stand, even the way the guidelines are worded, the ODP is a DISservice to the end user if anything.

Qryztufre, Dec 27, 2011 IP
  11. fouzan

fouzan Peon

Best Answers:
    Just add your site there and if they found useful you will get added! thats all we can do with DMoz

fouzan, Dec 27, 2011 IP
  12. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    It's a rather obstinate and arrogant approach IMO. But then again, I really doubt anyone or anything that matters in the real world gives a rats arse.

Seriously, is there really anything useful about the ODP anymore from either an SE or SEO standpoint?

When I go to the ODP and search for "APPLE" "http://www.dmoz.org/search?q=apple" and end up with this:
    as the first result.

One really has to wonder if there is anything of value in the ODP at all.

It's like a time capsule for all that was once wrong with web design.

It's a home for nerds, geeks and uberfuktards from days past. Most of which are likely still checking mail using PINE.

It's an extremely sad and wasteful portion of the internet and the source of a great many worthless threads here and elsewhere.

It could be so much more.

And before anyone starts complaining about the fact that its voluntary, free, or has 5 million entries. The reality is, with nearly 100k editors, it equates to having to maintain around 50 sites per editor.

Some of us here edit directories by ourselves that equates to over 25,000 sites per "editor".

The only solution I see to making headway with the ODP is canning all 93,430 editors and starting anew. I'd be willing to bet about 93,000 of those editors are not even active. The handful that are are comprised of some good editors who care, and the rest are those few nerds, geeks and uberfuktards I referred to previously.

Mia, Dec 27, 2011 IP
  13. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Sadly even Qryztufre is one of those editor numbers that you listed. Because of the way DMOZ works it acknoledges the work of every editor that has worked on the project, even if they have now looong left, like Q.

Mia,please tell me how much spare time I shall have in 2012 and what categories I will want to work in on DMOZ, please the tell me how much each of the 4000 or so active editors will have and what categories they will want to work in, and then please tell me how many submissions DMOZ will have in 2012 and when you can give me accurate information on that, then DMOZ will be able to tell you how long suggestions will take to be reviewed.

Tell you what I will make it easier and verifiable.Tell me that information for each editor for 2011 and tell me how many submissions we had.

But why should editors be concerned with what you think. I don't tell you how long to spend on your website, or where you promote it, so why should anyone be able to tell me how I want to spend my spare time and how much I want to spend on DMOZ. When I signed up, when Q signed up,and I have been there for most of the life of DMOZ,editors were asked to do at least one edit every 4 months, that is still what is asked and we were volunteering to build a directory of categorised links for those who wanted to browse the internet using categorised data. That is still what DMOZ is about, it is not there as a free listing service for site owners and to add, is any, value to their site. DMOZ exists for editors to indulge their hobby of collecting and collating web site for the benefit of those who wish to use such data. As part of that we accept suggestions to editors of sites and we accept that from members of the public and site owners, but they are suggestions for editors and when an editor works an area of the directory they can use or not the suggestions pool. That's what we signed up for, that's how it is,that's how editors want it to continue and AOL don't seem to want it to change either or they would have stepped in and altered it.

So it is not from arrogance it's from the basic principles upon which the directory was and is founded.

Anonymously, Dec 27, 2011 IP
  14. accessted

accessted Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Anonymously,

Could you tell me if I am a lost cause on DMOZ? I submitted probably over a year ago, and also my SEO guy submitted it .. So it was submitted more than once. I did not know at the time that was a no no.... Any feedback or suggestions?

Thanks
    Teddy

http://www.accesslocksmith.NET

accessted, Dec 27, 2011 IP
  15. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    snooks, Dec 27, 2011 IP
  16. accessted

accessted Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you.

accessted, Dec 28, 2011 IP
  17. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I can't think of a better place to list a Charlotte based locksmith :). The Topical categories to which it had been suggested were never going to fly.

Be aware that some countries such as UK and Oz have legislations which require street addresses on commercial websites. That's not true of the USA AFAIK, but would you want to deal with a company that's chosen to conceal its whereabouts? <Bah humbug>

jimnoble, Dec 28, 2011 IP
  18. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Translation: Don't bother me, I'm eating a sandwich. (See below)
    ^ Thanks for making my point.

FYI

I experienced first hand how things work, and do NOT work.

Those who actually DO spend their time editing get shoved out.

"http://www.dmoz.org/search?q=car"

Nothing... "Car"? It's an obscure generalized word meant to describe "an automobile."

I'm not taking issue with the lack of interest in listing new sites. What I am perplexed by is the lack of polish. A directory requires a bit more than adding new sites and organizing categories. There's quite a bit of cleaning that needs to be done with the existing content.

I think this article says it all: http://blog.psychlinks.ca/after-years-in-a-coma-dmozodp-finally-pronounced-dead/#.TvtBqErYeuA

Now I don't really need to tell you how much spare time you shall have in 2012 and what categories you will want to work in on DMOZ, nor tell you how much each of the 4000 or so active editors will have and what categories they will want to work in, or tell you how many submissions DMOZ will have in 2012 and when I can give you accurate information on that, then DMOZ will be able to tell me how long suggestions will take to be reviewed."

Because I know.

In the amount of time you spent writing up a rebuttal to what is painfully obvious ego massage, you could have probably edited 2 categories.

Mia, Dec 28, 2011 IP
  19. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    You make my point, you see you want a DMOZ editor to work 24/7. Don't you think we have a life? Like wanting to post on external forums! Sorry you don't allow that in your rules for DMOZ editors. Crack... not another lash:cool::p

Anonymously, Dec 28, 2011 IP
  20. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Its good to know that you like me enough to bring me up three times in places that have nothing to do with me.... well, yeah, I guess I do count in those first two, I certainly used to be an editor. Though it's rather odd that you mention that I used to be an editor twice in such a short point. It must really bother you or you are really super excited that I used to edit for the directory. Either way, it's still pretty odd that you bring me up twice for one thing that is really neither here nor there.

Again, yeah, yeah... the guidelines have not been updated in like forever. Of course it was that way when we both signed up, so again, why mention me. Does the fact that it was the same way when both of us signed up some how make it different on some level?

I'm pretty sure the directory was in fact NOT founded on a 10 year wait time on getting a review... but I guess I could be wrong. I'm also pretty sure that since the guidelines say that one does not have to edit but once every three months should not indicate that is all that an editor should edit.

It may not be arrogance that feeds the rest of your post, but it likely is to think that AOL actually cares one little bit about the old and out dated project. They didn't even care to keep a standard back up back when the place went belly up, and they certainly didn't care enough to give enough man power to get it working properly, as it's now been years and many things are still broken. AOL does not even aknowledge that they even own the ODP on their main page, and by the way, I've sent several emails to the legal department about the ODP and they have yet to bother replying to me.... so me discussing the ODP with them and them not caring to reply seems to indicate that I've been given the wrong address, or that I was correct in assuming that communication (or rather the complete and total lack of it) comes from the top.

*shrug*

Though thanks for caring enough to bring me up three times in your post to someone else about things that have little to nothing to do with me. It shows that you really care ;)

Qryztufre, Dec 28, 2011 IP