1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can a niche directory make good money?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by jbthedon, Dec 7, 2011.

1. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If promoted/maintained very well, General directories can earn much more.

maldives, Dec 10, 2011 IP
  2. temi

temi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    But the competition for general directory is huge, even a monkey can install a directory script and start a general directory, only clever humans tends to be smart enough to know information about a niche and then exploit that niche.

There is a guy I help start a niche directory a few years ago, the directory is now PR7 and he makes about 3 times what I make from the most popular of my general directories. And because he seem to be the first in that niche, loads of sites withing that niche actually linked to him genuinely.

I will back a niche directory over a general directory any day.

temi, Dec 10, 2011 IP
  3. Renatus

Renatus Member

Best Answers:
    Well none of my general directories have received 0 paid listings at all. The worst general directory I can think of which I own (lack of promotion or adverting due to time, etc.) receives 3 paid listing reviews PER DAY.

Renatus, Dec 10, 2011 IP
    maldives likes this.
  4. skseofleet

skseofleet Peon

Best Answers:
    What is the page rank of your directory and how much traffic it got daily. If a directory have huge traffic and high page rank then any one can show his/her interest to list in that....

skseofleet, Dec 10, 2011 IP
  5. kamal_ds

kamal_ds Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can earn ~$300-400 by selling links on it. Deciding factors include PR rank and link popularity of your site.

kamal_ds, Dec 10, 2011 IP
  6. skseofleet

skseofleet Peon

Best Answers:
    Kamal, Is this real that a niche directory demands for $300 to $400 for a link. While in India a firm can do your all seo in this amount. Please explain more about it

skseofleet, Dec 11, 2011 IP
  7. MattewHayden555

MattewHayden555 Peon

Best Answers:

Niche Directory helps your website to rank early and gives unique and loyal visitors.

MattewHayden555, Dec 11, 2011 IP
  8. skseofleet

skseofleet Peon

Best Answers:
    Ohh God, its become very complicated that i niche directory can earn more or a general directory. Can anyone explain it with some practical examples instead of theoretical definations

9. skseofleet

skseofleet Peon

Best Answers:
    @jbthedon, You are planning to create a directory like yellow pages that earn &100,000 or more for a year. this is a good idea but for this you need to do hard work. This is not the easy task at all and a proper strategy should work on it for more traffic or revenue...

10. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    The goal of any business should be to make a profit. Or at the very least spend less than you earn; or break even.

That said, why did you chose $100,000.00 as the amount you'd like to see a directory make? Are you looking at generating $100k in sales or profit?

If $100k is your ultimate goal, you'd probably be better suited doing something else. Can you make money? Of course. What that amount is will be dependent upon what you put into it. If you spend a buck and make $100, you're way ahead of the game.

Mia, Dec 12, 2011 IP
  11. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You mean easy income, because you do less and it attracts more traffic because by it's very nature it has a broader audience.

But, in terms of a business versus a directory, a niche business will win hands down. That's a fact.

The people in this thread whingeing about not making money, are the ones that bang up a script and expect people to just come to them. Doesn't work like that.

If you opened up a shop, would you just stand around and wait for customers? Do some work before whingeing about no reward!

silencer, Dec 12, 2011 IP
  12. stock_post

stock_post Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    My Real Estate Directory is PR 3 for at least four or five years.
    It is still a PR3 - Used to be PR4 some time..

That I am not making any money.. Literally nothing..

I am OK as I have a passion for it.

I love my directory and will try to keep it free for as long I own it.

stock_post, Dec 13, 2011 IP
  13. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

This post exemplifies your problem. Realtors don't care about PR all they care about is ranking at the top in Google and beating their competitors. Ask one to define PR and they will talk about press releases. Ask one about SEO and they will almost always complain about some other Realtor in town who is getting all the customers because they are ranking higher in Google. Besides, how many of your city pages, where the Realtors are actually listed, have any PR?

Here would be my to do list if your site was mine...

1. If you are making no money at all, my first suggestion would be to remove the Adsense off the homepage and make it less in your face on the inner pages - a quick glance at your site reminds me of the sites people have who are squatting on domains.

2. On the city pages add something useful about the city instead of listing two keyword phrases as a category description that gets lost in the ads. Include demographic and other information someone moving to that town would want to know.

3. Get some backlinks to the state and city pages.

4. While I doubt that Realtors would know that you are using a standard template, work on a new look and do some branding.

5. I would also add some custom fields - Company Name (they should indicate Remax, Coldwell Banker etc. - Realtors like to keep referrals within the family so to speak) and whether they specialize in residential or commercial sales or rentals. I'd maybe even include a field where they could include zip codes or cities that they serve. Maybe even link to their Realtor.com page (could be an add-on for featured).

6. Add something new to the news category..."we are up" with a date of 2008 makes it look like your site is somewhat inactive.

Yes, I know that will require a huge investment of time. Yes, I know it's not making money now. Focus your passion on creating a resource for both Realtors and their customers. A lot of Realtors are not making any money in the current economy so they are looking for free and low cost resources to help grow their businesses.

When you run a niche directory, you can't offer a one-sized fits all standard directory format it you want to make it profitable. You have to research the industry and understand what providers and customers are looking for.

OK, climbing down off my soap box now and scratching my head why I'm spending so much time trying to help someone who may not be ready to listen.

YMC, Dec 13, 2011 IP
  14. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Well said. You really have to tell people about your "store" to get them to shop there. Not only that, you need to tell them why they need to shop there. And the shop owner needs to be there, ALL the time. When you get an email you need to respond. When a site is dead, you need to remove it. You really need to make sure your shelves are clean, tidy, orderly and fully of fresh goods.

Mia, Dec 13, 2011 IP
  15. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I have always work hard improving and promoting directories I own. I have invested in my work when and where necessary. Yes you are 100% all I am saying is income from General directories are much better than Niche. It does not mean niche directories do not make any money or anything like that.

maldives, Dec 13, 2011 IP
  16. nonar

nonar Active Member

Best Answers:
    Good general directory will give you three times of what the niche one will give,

nonar, Dec 14, 2011 IP
  17. hotftuna

hotftuna Active Member

Best Answers:
    Not sure about your particular idea but, in general, niche directories are far more difficult to make a profit compared to general directories.

Reason is that SEO firms simply can not be bothered to submit to them. They have their list of general directories and they submit their Clients to that list.

hotftuna, Dec 14, 2011 IP
  18. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Indeed.

[to everyone else] Whilst I understand that many people have directories as a passive income/hobby/whatever, in order for those people to contribute in a thread like this they really need to adopt the policy that Mia advises.

I'm not suggesting that people don't run directories for fun, many do. e.g. Many editors at DMOZ, do it simply because they enjoy building a list of useful resources in a category/topic that they are interested in.

However, this thread is simple. The OP asked about making money, and that means the directory must operate as a business. You can't just put a script online and expect to sell. To say that general directories make more money than niche directories from a business perspective is naive drivel.

Directory owners... really need to think outside the box. They put a directory online; announce it on a few forums; get on a few directory lists; promote minimally --- and expect rewards. When, as a niche, that doesn't happen they convert to general or give up. It isn't easy and no one said it was, but if you think of a directory as something that can be promoted offline too, then you instantly open the door to a much larger market.

If you are a local niche directory (non webmaster) and you are on a forum catering to webmasters (like Digitalpoint), does it even matter if a million people visit your directory per day if they aren't your target market? Seriously... Wouldn't it be easier if you had that niche automotive directory for the county/city you live in, to actually promote it in that city? OMG *revelation* ???

This isn't rocket science, it's simple marketing. We haven't even gotten out of first gear... Target your audience. Too many owners are going for the broadest possible audience they can get, rather than narrowing it down to the people that are going to be interested and marketing simply to them.

It's a given, since people are responding in this thread about SEO's not being interested. If you are targeting SEOs you've already failed. Wrong market.

That's great. I still disagree with you regarding income. The amount a business makes is usually proportional to the amount of effort (and skill) the owner puts into managing/marketing that business. It always helps if the particular niche business is in a popular field.

I'll concede that not all niches have the same earning potential, but to lump them all in the same basket and trot out the "general directories make more money" line isn't true from a business perspective. It simply is not true.

Only if you are lazy!

silencer, Dec 15, 2011 IP
  19. nonar

nonar Active Member

Best Answers:
    ( Only if you are lazy! )

Niche directory got only visitors who after that kind of directories but general directory have 15 main category and more
    each category can be niche directory if the webmaster true work good on it.
    Key words will help general directories to move on more in the search engines .
    ( Mia advises ) are very good but general directory is open market and niche directory will not be that.

nonar, Dec 16, 2011 IP
  20. sksinghsanjeet

sksinghsanjeet Peon

Best Answers:
    High PR General Directories are far better than niche directories

sksinghsanjeet, Dec 16, 2011 IP
    maldives likes this.