1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Will new domain appear instead current domain in the Google after domain migration?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by samser_m, Dec 12, 2011.

I would like to know if a new domain (parked domain by GoDaddy - 3 years old - not even indexed by Google now) will show up in the same Google search. Basically only TLD is going to chage, from .net to .com

Basically : current domain is now at #1 to #4 position, say currentdomain.net (1.5 years old)
    GoDaddy parked domain : say currentdomain.com (3 years old), not indexed by google now

Goal: Change .net to .com for SEO and easy to remember. Domain name will remain same.

if I make permanent redirect of currecnt domain to .com domain then do you know whether this .com domain will appear on the same position?

samser_m, Dec 12, 2011 IP
  2. travelnetwork

travelnetwork Peon

Best Answers:
    lol i think either your English is not well or i did not get your question. can you please explain it bit more?

travelnetwork, Dec 12, 2011 IP
  3. wounded1987

wounded1987 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I got his question, he asks if he can change the same domain from .net to .com and if it will effect google ranking.

It's safe to do, just follow the steps in google webmaster tools that talk about changing domain address, once did so all backlinks from old domain will point to new domain.

wounded1987, Dec 12, 2011 IP
  4. gauthamvit2003

gauthamvit2003 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, one can do redirect from .net to .com there is nothing wrong in it, but to rank in the same position there will be delay. Have patience because Google has to recrawl the new TLD and index it so it will take time.

Caution:
    Don't just redirect whole website in one go. Do it step by step like creating one page redirect, wait until it is crawled, check how it's performing through Google Analytics and then proceed with other steps. Never delete anything from old domain until you confirm that everything is working smoothly in the new domain. Like i said it's going to be a big delay, if done properly you will be back to the position you where before.

gauthamvit2003, Dec 12, 2011 IP
  5. samser_m

samser_m Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You got me right!

First, I would like to thank you for the advice.

This is a small 5- 10 pages static site.

You suggest to do it step by step by creating one page redirect. Idea is very good. that means I need to so something like below:

currentdomainname.net/contact -> currentdomainname.com/contact (permanent redirect)

but if I upload all pages to new domain and don't redirect all pages at once then don't you think google may treat duplicate contents?
    do I need to web-protect other pages except that contact page? any suggestion? fyi, only home page ranks well.

samser_m, Dec 12, 2011 IP
  6. gauthamvit2003

gauthamvit2003 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, you are following correctly. I would advise you to redirect a page which has considerable amount of backlinks only then you will know how well it is performing through Google Analytics.

About Duplicate Contents

Yes, if you upload all pages to the new domain and don't redirect, obviously Googlebot is going to consider it as duplicate content i.e. why you should redirect from the old domain in order for the Googlebot to consider it as unique content. Once you did permanent redirect and if the new domain is running smoothly then you just have to delete the contents from old domain and even use Google webmaster tool to remove the url of the old domain.

gauthamvit2003, Dec 12, 2011 IP
    samser_m likes this.
  7. samser_m

samser_m Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    thank you for your suggestions

samser_m, Dec 13, 2011 IP