1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to choose products to sell?

Discussion in 'eCommerce' started by Mysticwonton, Nov 27, 2011.

Out of all the ways to make money online, I've found that selling things is the funnest way. But how do you choose what to sell? How do you find profitable things to sell?

Mysticwonton, Nov 27, 2011 IP
  2. lordweiner

lordweiner Peon

Best Answers:
    Good question. I find selling things I like alot easier because I don't have to lie or overhype and I hae a lot to say about them. So what I've done before is just think of something I already use and find a way to sell it, or something very similar.

In terms of profitability, working out how profitable a product will be before you start to sell it, I can't answer that question. Hopefully someone else will chip in.

lordweiner, Nov 27, 2011 IP
  3. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    You first have to ask yourself, can you realistically send a lot of traffic to this offer? If you can't think of a unique angle in a competitive niche, you'd just be wasting your time, even if the product did sell well.

dcristo, Nov 27, 2011 IP
  4. joelchrist

joelchrist Banned

Best Answers:
    You need make a little research, what is people need? you can try with gadgets.

joelchrist, Nov 27, 2011 IP
  5. makeonlineshop

makeonlineshop Member

Best Answers:
    Sell small items that you can buy cheap where you live. Small items are often cheaper to send by post. Or sell products that you can buy online in Asia.

Sell only products that you can sell cheaper than others or at least as cheap but your must offer a wider choice.

makeonlineshop, Nov 28, 2011 IP
  6. ecommerce-hosting-guru

ecommerce-hosting-guru Peon

Best Answers:
    First make sure its something that you are passionate about. This will become your life and you need to be an expert in it and you need to have the ambition to keep going when its late at night and you don't want to work. Also being an expert will help you write actual real reviews about the items that will sell the items. But before you choose your actual niche do keyword research to make sure that what you will be selling is doable, ie not to competitive and that there are enough people actually searching for it.

ecommerce-hosting-guru, Nov 28, 2011 IP
  7. eaglesflamenco

eaglesflamenco Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    before i do this,i usually use keyword tool check the keyword search

eaglesflamenco, Nov 28, 2011 IP
  8. s&od

s&od Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes, definitely do a keyword search, but don't necessarily sell just the most popular items. Most of the time the real popular items will have a high competition rate. Pick some things with a medium competition rate, as well. This way you will have a chance of getting more traffic to your site. As your site gets more traffic and you get ranked higher, you can add more competitive products. Hope this helps and good luck!

s&od, Nov 30, 2011 IP
  9. jack2230

jack2230 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I disagree being the cheapest isn't everything. If I was the cheapest selling the products I sell I would be loosing money because of the Hong Kong sellers on eBay who can always sell cheaper than someone in the US, Australia, UK etc. And guess what even though I'm not the cheapest I still generate as much if not more sales as any other seller because of my location, my reasonable but still profitable price and lastly my service. It's all about adding value to your product through things like the service you provide, postage carrier etc. that will allow you to sell at these higher prices.

jack2230, Nov 30, 2011 IP
    Importexport and s&od like this.
  10. jmbinfo

jmbinfo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Selling as the "cheapest" isn't always the only way to sell online. You just have to give your customers a reason to buy it from you even though you are higher. Maybe you have a better ad and they feel more comfortable with you. Maybe you offer a "freebie" that gives a better perception of a deal. Non-brand items like "pillows" can often compete on their own because they aren't easily comparable.

jmbinfo, Nov 30, 2011 IP
  11. Ella_Z.

Ella_Z. Peon

Best Answers:
    If you want to sell something, you should know what you sell... What do I mean? Look for products which are really interesting to you. If so, you will be more interested in promoting of them and of course the results (I mean the the amount of purchases) will be higher!

Ella_Z., Nov 30, 2011 IP
  12. JerrickYeoh

JerrickYeoh Active Member

Best Answers:
    Use Google Trend to check out what the latest gadget or product that your target company is talking about.
    Mean those thing is highly search and the latest trend. You can choose your product according the Google Trend.

JerrickYeoh, Dec 2, 2011 IP
  13. Ella_Z.

Ella_Z. Peon

Best Answers:
    I think more profitable will be to look for your niche in selling of products, 'cause if to sell products which are in google trend, you'll have to many competitors and very often customers will not even come across your products. Better to find smth which is not popular among all, however smth which is popular just among some people for whom you'll be necessary with your products!

Ella_Z., Dec 3, 2011 IP
  14. D Alishouse

D Alishouse Peon

Best Answers:
    You might want to consider selling something that is intellectual in nature, not physical. For instance, ebooks or DVD's that can be set up as POD. Delivery on these types of products is virtually labor free. Once you get rolling in your business you can focus on your online presence and sales and never have to touch one shipping label or make one trip to the post office.

D Alishouse
    Enterprise IT Security | Six Sigma Consulting

D Alishouse, Dec 3, 2011 IP
  15. nikita.globals

nikita.globals Peon

Best Answers:
    I choose products that I already have knowledge about it. So, it makes me easy to find the selling point.
    If you dont have anything to sell, but you really want to make money. Just try some helps from friends or using google.
    Type some "phrase" that will lead you to find one.

nikita.globals, Dec 4, 2011 IP
  16. website-design-seo

website-design-seo Peon

Best Answers:
    It's the best way to choose products before selling and one thing you just keep in mind it must be profitable . here are the few factors given below

1. Marketability
    2. Profit Margin
    3. Consumable
    4. What's Popular
    5. Competition
    5. Private Label
    6. Quality

website-design-seo, Dec 4, 2011 IP
  17. chienb

chienb Member

Best Answers:
    chienb, Jan 17, 2012 IP
  18. wealth2wealth

wealth2wealth Member

Best Answers:
    you can sell collectible (stamps postcards coins banknotes) at delcampe

wealth2wealth, Jan 17, 2012 IP
  19. niralimarwadi

niralimarwadi Peon

Best Answers:
    try to sell furniture, high margin,

niralimarwadi, Jan 17, 2012 IP
  20. StarmarkCreatives

StarmarkCreatives Member

Best Answers:
    Its a very general question, you should try and narrow it down to a few options, firstly, i would list 10 products you are either interested in selling, or know a bit about.

Then think about where you want to sell it and who to - if the answer is ebay you should cross out electronics unless you have a large budget to purchase the goods as there is a very very small profit margin to be made since its so competitive.

Think about whether the product is seasonal or not, in the past i have done some buying and selling of sunglasses which sell extremely well all year round, even during the winter when people are heading off for the winter sun.

Your budget is the main thing that should be taken into consideration, try not to invest all of it into a specific type of product without doing your research.

Have you looked into dropshipping at all ?

StarmarkCreatives, Jan 19, 2012 IP